Some perspective

Started by Jinxy, August 18, 2008, 12:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: Down Gael on August 18, 2008, 01:12:42 AM
There are a lot of fickle fans about. How many Dublin "fans" were leaving Croke Park early yesterday? Probably on their way home to post on Reservoir Dubs about how bad "their" team were, while watching the soccer on Sky.

I have always said before, you dont walk out on your team, no matter what. But all counties, when getting batings like that, have fans who do this. Louth and Wexford did it versus Dublin, and the Dubs did it on saturday, all were out of order IMO.
p.s. the soccer comment makes you look stupid. As do all lazy stereotypes.

the Dubs are licking their wounds and blaming Kerry referees

?? WTF ?? Who is blaming the ref?? Have you read the posts on here from Dublin posters?
Every single one admits we were beaten by the better team, simple as that.

Where did you get the blaming the ref idea??

their biggest problem is HYPE. They seem to get caught up in the media frenzy every year and believe that Sam is theirs. Dont believe the hype.

Dublin is the capital, a quarter of the country live here, the media is here, theres always going to be hype. Best thing you can do is get used to it. Its not exactly helping the Dubs is it!

But when you say the Dubs "believe that SAM is theirs", are you referring to the players or fans?
Either way thats another extremely stupid thing to say. Beleiving you have a chance (forgive us for being optomistic) is a very different thing from believed sam is "ours".

Ask me holy bollix

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Its true, as somebody on the outside looking in my opinion has always been that the world of GAA is terrible for people totally losing perspective (and the media in particular). I read in the Indo last summer that Tyrone were finished and it was the end of an era. Today in the same paper I read that Tyrone are contenders and that Dublin are finished and its the end of an era....2 days after they were talking the Dubs up as potential AI winners ???. All this after one game. It happens every year.

Down Gael

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 18, 2008, 01:55:05 PM
Where did you get the blaming the ref idea?

Some of the posters on Reservoir Dubs are blaming Mangan on their exit from the Championship. If I was a Dub fan I would be looking much closer to home than Kerry for their downfall on Saturday. Pillar lost the game for the Dubs. He can see no wrong in some of his players, he is just too loyal. No plan B etc etc etc, but you`ve heard it all before. I`m not trying to rub salt into the wounds, I would have liked to see a Dublin v Kerry final, but Dublin need to get over themselves. One big performance doesnt win an All Ireland. You beat Wexford with ease and thought  Sam was on his way back to the capital. It seems like the players as well as the fans are reading too many Dublin friendly newspapers. If Dublin are to win an All Ireland in the next few years they need to wise up. This nonsense of playing to the hill, needs to be looked at. Fans dont win matches. Were was their sixteenth man on Saturday??? They seem more interested in showboating in front of their fans than getting stuck into a game when they really need to. Its alright pointing at the scoreboard against Laois and Wexford, but where were the big name players on Saturday. Jayo hid somewhere among the blanket defence. Whelo seems more interested in UFC than GAA, then expects sympathy when he gets his own back.
The only people pointing at the scoreboard on Saturday were those leaving early, but they`ll be back again next summer expecting to win Sam. The soccer will be over for another season and they`ll have nothing else to do, I hope they didnt miss too much on Saturday, their beloved United werent playing until Sunday. The real Dub fans will be there again throughout the league, like the rest of us. Hoping to unearth new talent for later on in the year.

imtommygunn

McStay on saturday was rubbish - he was getting players names wrong constantly and his observations of the game in general were pretty poor.

The problem for Dublin now is belief. Time and again the bigger teams have beat them and it can't not dent the confidence drastically.

Wouldn't read anything  into what McStay says though. Realistically they'll never win sam with the current full back and to be honest Quinn and Bonner are two boys who probably aren't good enough for a team who wins Sam. Cullen at CHB is still questionable IMO too.

They had a stinker on saturday but they didn't become bad players overnight.  I think they're a few players and probably a manager off. Don't forget the difference MH or JK made for Armagh and Tyrone.

AN other

Agree completely Jinxy. Dublin aren't 12 points off Tyrone and if they could replay the game could well win it. It's all about performances on the day.
This could turn out to be great motivation for the Dubs next year and dampen next year's inevitable hype a little should they progress at all. Could be the making of the team. Surely one of the favourites for Sam next year??

ONeill

The effect of the defeat on the supporters will remain with me til the day they win it. They were crushed and you could sense the early minutes of a depression. Hype or not, they are a gaa-mad crowd with an insatiable desire for Sam. I suppose you could say that about most counties but there was just something about them that was unique.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AN other

Saw both the good and the bad of the Dublin supporters on Saturday.
The bad being the "supporter" who turned up to sit beside me about half way through the first half and shouted abuse at both teams and occasionally shouted Dublin on with "Come on the taxpayers!" He left with about 5 minutes left in the first half and returned for about 10 minutes of the second half ten minutes in. Wish these fellas weren't let near the place.
The good, to no great surprise, came towards the end of the game when most of the above types had left. The singing from the Hill when the Dubs were clearly well bet was as good a support for a team that one could expect.

Rossfan

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 18, 2008, 07:47:06 PM

Wouldn't read anything  into what McStay says though.

Like a lot of other lazy eejity media pundits he decided that this was Dublin's year.
Then he turns on them saying they've no players etc.
Is this him saying "ye no good shower let the mighty ME down"
A bit of perspective and decent analysis from football scribes where Dublin football team is concerned is badly needed. Eugene McGee is one of the few who goes beyond tired oul cliches.
And the sunday game needs more of O Cinnéide/Tohill type of half decent analysis not the sh1te spouted by Lyons/McStay and nonsense from Flynn/Davis etc. As for Brolly/O'Rourke -please piss off.
Listen to the hurling crew on RTE - Farrell/Duignan/O'Grady/Finnerty - quality analysis and shows up the football clowns for what they are ( O Cinnéide/Tohill excepted)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Down Gael on August 18, 2008, 07:19:07 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on August 18, 2008, 01:55:05 PM
Where did you get the blaming the ref idea?

Some of the posters on Reservoir Dubs are blaming Mangan on their exit from the Championship.

Don't remember anyone saying that on there.   A few people have said he had a bad game (which seems undeniable), but every one of them went on to say that this wasn't the reason Dublin lost.  Every poster there accepts the obvious fact that Dublin were just outclassed on the day.