Croke Park Pitch

Started by AN other, August 17, 2008, 10:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AN other

There was alot of giving out done about the pitch in Croke Park in recent years. It must be said that it couldn't be in better nick now. Much credit due to Croke Park and the groundsmen. The amount of rain that it has taken over the last two weeks is massive and yet we were seeing balls hop over Dooher's head on Saturday.

FL/MAYO

Agree about the surface, but it would not take much for a ball to hop over Doohers head  ;D.

Hardy

Very good FL/MAYO, but kudos to the Croke Park people for solving the problems and getting it right. Very impressive.

TacadoirArdMhacha

15 games on the one pitch in 16 days in the midst of some of the worst rain the country's ever seen and the pitch was still in fine nick at the end of today's games. Fair play to all those involved.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

T Fearon

Miraculous is the word for it, the major GAA programme at Croker must be the only sporting schedule in Ireland not to suffer any disruption in the last 8 days. Well done to all concerned

cornafean

Have to agree with all of the above. A genuinely world-class achievement by those who look after the Croke Park pitch.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

youngfella

here here looked and played amazing. Smooth as hell for the hurling not a bad bounce or roll. A*
Pull hard and early

comethekingdom

Considering all the slipping & sliding that was going on a couple of years ago and all the subsequent crying that was done over it, it is a real credit to the grounds men for all their effort and hard work. Well done to all !!!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Indeed, hats off to all responsible, the pitch is a real credit, and would put many a 'Premiership' pitch to shame.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2008, 10:31:18 PM
Indeed, hats off to all responsible, the pitch is a real credit, and would put many a 'Premiership' pitch to shame.

It put Wembly to shame two weeks ago...
Testing Accessibility

comethekingdom

Quote from: ziggysego on August 20, 2008, 10:31:57 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2008, 10:31:18 PM

It put Wembly to shame two weeks ago...

Gentlemen Gentlemen,
we shouldn't compare our fantastic amateur game to boring rubbish overhyped soccer!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 20, 2008, 10:38:04 PM
Gentlemen Gentlemen,
we shouldn't compare our fantastic amateur game to boring rubbish overhyped soccer!

Soccer! What's this 'soccer' you speak of?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

balladmaker

What did they actually do to the field to improve it?  I know it was closed for a while, but surely it wasn't relaid again?

RMDrive

Quote from: balladmaker on August 20, 2008, 11:19:13 PM
What did they actually do to the field to improve it?  I know it was closed for a while, but surely it wasn't relaid again?

Was it not just the natural development of the grass root structure? I think that it just needed time to "bed-in" properly. Could be wrong though.

corn02

Fair play. People are quick to run down the GAA, good to see them get some praise.