tyrone v's wexford 2008 Ai semi final

Started by the Deel Rover, August 16, 2008, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: JMohan on August 31, 2008, 05:43:12 PM
Penrose put in a great 70 mins work as did Jordan and McMahon.

Penrose was very good today - it was great to see him playing a little more "level headed" - being patient and taking better shot options.

TYP - Is that on BBC? What did he say?

Jordan was great today, as were the fullback line.

JMohan

Quote from: Puckoon on August 31, 2008, 05:50:27 PM

Penrose was very good today - it was great to see him playing a little more "level headed" - being patient and taking better shot options.

Against Down Penrose was outstanding - has incredible pace

Puckoon

Jason Ryan seems like a great man, and a great manager - will be around for a while.

JMohan

Quote from: Puckoon on August 31, 2008, 05:50:27 PM

Main Street

Jason Ryan surmised the game perfectly in a few lines, better than the pundits and he was in the heat of the battle.

DUBSFORSAM1

How did Dooher manage to get away with taking the Wexford player out of the play in the square without being picked up by the umpires at least???

Carmen Stateside

Tyrone 0-23 1-14 Wexford 

Sean Cavanagh is challenged by Wexford's Brendan Doyle
Tyrone (0-14) 0-23
Points: Jordan 2, Cavanagh 4, Dooher 3, McMenamin 2, Penrose 3, McCullagh 4, T McGuigan 3, McGinley, Harte

Wexford (0-6) 1-14
Goal: Lyng
Points: Lyng 6, Morris 2, Morrissey, Wallace, Banville, Roche, Colfer, Flynn

Tyrone are into the All-Ireland football final for the third time in six years after a six-point success over Wexford at Croke Park.

Mickey Harte's Red Hands led by nine points in the first half and appeared to be cruising into a 21 September decider against champions Kerry.

But Wexford's big scoring danger Ciaran Lyng revived the contest with a goal which cut the deficit to three points.

Tyrone responded with four unanswered points to power through to the final.

Lyng's fine finish on 49 minutes suggested a remarkable Wexford comeback was possible.

Tyrone had been in complete command in a one-sided first half with eight different players getting on the scoresheet.

Man-of-the-match Philip Jordan, Sean Cavanagh, Ryan McMenamin, Martin Penrose, Colm McCullagh, Tommy McGuigan and Enda McGinley all contributed as the Ulster team swept forward relentlessly.

Wexford did get some points on the board before the break and, early in the second half, they outscored Tyrone by 1-6 to three points.

The Munster team's fans were clearly lifted by Lyng's goal but the comeback was rebuffed as scores from Jordan, McMenamin and Penrose saw Tyrone move away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyrone: J Devine; C Gormley, Justin McMahon, C Gourley; D Harte, R McMenamin, P Jordan; C Holmes, E McGinley; B Dooher, M Penrose, Joe McMahon; T McGuigan, S Cavanagh, C McCullagh.

Wexford:A Masterson; D Walsh, P Wallace, B Malone; A Morrissey, D Murphy, C Morris; E Bradley, B Doyle; PJ Banville, R Barry, C Byrne; C Lyng, P Colfer, M Forde.

Are they on about the Kerry and Cork fans or is it just another mistake from the good old BBC ???

tyssam5

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 31, 2008, 06:33:57 PM
How did Dooher manage to get away with taking the Wexford player out of the play in the square without being picked up by the umpires at least???

Not the umpires' job to call for fouls.

Was worried there with Sean going off and Wexford bringing it back to 2 points at a stage. But a good response, McCullagh's passing again of Brian McG 05 quality, Justin McMahon has another excellent game.

Only worry going into the final is that Kerry have come through the tougher side of the draw in my opinion.

Hopefully Sean will be OK and we will see the two teams in the final with a full complement of players making for a great game.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 31, 2008, 07:22:20 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 31, 2008, 06:33:57 PM

Not the umpires' job to call for fouls.

Was worried there with Sean going off and Wexford bringing it back to 2 points at a stage. But a good response, McCullagh's passing again of Brian McG 05 quality, Justin McMahon has another excellent game.

Only worry going into the final is that Kerry have come through the tougher side of the draw in my opinion.

Hopefully Sean will be OK and we will see the two teams in the final with a full complement of players making for a great game.

You should ask the Clare U21 hurlers about that one!!

tyssam5

I don't know shit about hurling, not sure if Pat McAnaney does either, but had he been the ref he'd have ignored the umpire. Problem solved.

ONeill

What is there left to say about this squad of players? The major doubt coming in to the came was that the Dublin performance was a one-off, a dying kick from our most formidable outfit. The first half today reinforced the opposite. Something happened in the last 2 years that will probably be explained in time. We cannot blame injuries any more because Tyrone have got there without O'Neill, Cavlan and Mulligan. Players like McCullagh, Penrose and T McGuigan who looked a level below the players we'd lost are now proving themselves to be class acts at the highest level. Perhaps it was the hunger in players like Ricey, the Block, Jordan and co that just wasn't sharp in '06/07. Maybe it was the need to allow times for new players to gel into the 'system'. But what we have now is another side in the All-Ireland final after blitzing Dublin and notching 0-23 in an All-Ireland semi final. 0-23 from a side most of us worried where scores were going to come from earlier in the year!

Jordan, McMenamin and McCullagh were majestic today. I though McCullagh's play was as good as Brian McGuigan's used to be (the possible exceptions being on McGuigan's exceptional days like the AIF05). His confidence on the ball to take as much out of it until he had a clear pass was wonderful to watch. He took his points almost as a last resort! I'd imagine Kerry will give Colm no time on the ball. He was our impish/waspish play-maker today. Jordan, from the first minute to the last, was the man who drove this team. He covered every blade and his direct approach was as good as you'll see from Tomas O'Se. McMenamin was also a driven man today and involved himself in the majority of attacks from defence. Gormley fairly kept tabs on the majority of Wexford's danger men though I thought he stood off slightly for the goal. Justin McMahon is a footballer first and foremost and for a fullback that's reassuring. He's as equally comfortable soloing up the sideline as he is breaking the high ball. I thought we saw another positive side to Tommy's game today. Some of his ball retention was of the highest class, especially when Gourley was throwing up some 50/50s. McGinley maintained his decent form although Holmes waned early on. Still, Mickey is always quick to change in that area and Hughes, despite trying to shoot, was adequate. Dooher's in form and Penrose offered a useful option on the break. Sean was double-teamed, sometimes trebled but still managed to provide a dangerous outlet. Only he went off he could easily have ended with 0-6/0-7.

The Wexford comeback was fitting of a side that had reached the AISF, although I honestly believe the one-and-a-half matches of completely dominating the opposition finally got to Tyrone and their levels dropped a little - it'll do Tyrone no harm to have a slight scare.

Hats off to Mickey and this squad. Some wonderful passages of football, as good as there has been under Mickey. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect Tyrone at this years AIF.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

it was a good game. I think the telling factor was work rate. If you want to beat tyrone you have to work as hard as them, and Wexford just werent fit enough. Ryan McMannaman seemed to be playing both corner forward and corner back at the same time. unreal. Brian Dooher is something else. He must be more machine than man. in response to people complaining about him taking players out, well I suppose its bad thing to do but I do it all the time myself so, I wont cast any stones in his direction. Ciaran Lyngs goal was class. The problem wexford were having was they were sending long balls but didnt have enough players up front to win the breaks as Tyrone had enough players back to win the ball and start another attack.

Fair dues to Jason Ryan he's done a stellar job and Wexford can build on this year, I'd love if we could find an equivilant in the Royal county. Pity Mattie Forde went off but he wasnt having his best game anyway.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

boro

just back from Croker. Disappointed with our first half performance, didn't get going at all, let Tyrone get too far ahead. It was a pity matty was missing for the second half, could have been the difference when we made our come back. Still the better team won in the end, so best of luck to Tyrone in the final.

paddypastit

QuotePlayers like McCullagh, Penrose and T McGuigan who looked a level below the players we'd lost are now proving themselves to be class acts at the highest level
Hang on there now... While agree that these guys looked good today, they are still a goodly wee way from proven 'at the highest level'. T McGuigan was probabaly the weakest of the Tyrone forwards against Dublin and showed limitations as a finisher, most notably in his one on one with Cluxton where he made up the keepers mind for him... Penrose worked hard today but was not extra special.  I thought McCullogh went out of the game one Wexford tightened up and while he certainly played well in general, as the game went on, he made a few poor de;liveries under pressure.  These boys need to deliver the next day in the fianl againstg proven top level winners (I think Kerry merit that description, fact is neither Dublin nor Wexford can claim it) As for the rest of the Tyrone performance today, it was good but a level well down on Duiblin.  

Look on it coldly.This was a success built on very solid defence and strong ball wining in the the middle third. Up front, despoite the big points total was a bit hit and miss for me I though Jordan was immense - having played brilliantlly up to then, he was also the man that won the hard ball in defence when Wexford had closed in and were threatening more in the second half.  Justin McMahon was also very good as was Gormley and indeed Davy Harte although I retain a suspicion that we rate his performances more highly for what he does going forward that for defending.  McMenanamin after a very involved opening 20 was not that involved.  I though McGinley again did huge spadework around the middle and again carried others in that area of the field. Dooher for me was quiet, Joe McMahon was the man that did the hod carrying from 21 to 21 today.

Overall it was a well crafted win - no team can give succesive displays like Tyrone did against Dublin, certainly not if thet aspire to do it again a third day.  I would venture to say that having sat through both games in the flesh, Kerry on full tilt looked that bit more compelling than Tyrone on full tilt but then they play with different styles and the way a team gets to play is significantly influenced by the team they are facing... and one can say for certain that Kerry to date have faced nothing appraoching the quality and capability of Tyrone - it promises to be tight.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Pangurban

Well done Tyrone, a good adequate display, you have the capabilitiy to win what promises to be a cracking final, all of Ulster will be behind you