Omagh

Started by Down Gael, August 15, 2008, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Gael

10 years ago news started to break of one of the worst attrocities of "the troubles". 31 lives lost needlessly. Maybe we could all take a little time to remember them.

The Gs Man

Agreed.

Hard to believe it was 10 years ago to be honest.
Keep 'er lit

Puckoon

Like many Im sure the memories of that day in quiet little omagh will never fade.

God bless all of the deceased and their families this and every tough day.

his holiness nb

Agreed, RIP, a terrible terrible episope in our history.

I am not trying to spark a debate here, this is a genuine question, so perhaps out of respect the answer can be given as fact and no opinions of the right or wrong of it thrown in...
I heard earlier on the radio that some relatives were boycotting the memorial, but didnt hear why, can anyone advise?
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

I remember it as if it was yesterday. Was up at a charity game in Bellaghy in honour of the late Sean Brown who was murdered the previous year. Tony Davis was up from Cork and was  playing as well as a load of Ulster players and Matt Connor was watching from his wheelchair at the side of the pitch I recall. Remember the news filtering through, in the crowd, of a bomb in Omagh but it was only after the game as I drove home, that the seriousness of it all became apparent. I also remember there was hardly a soul about, either on the roads or in any of the towns or villages I passed through on the way home that night, and it was a Saturday night as well.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: T Fearon on August 15, 2008, 03:38:39 PM
I remember it as if it was yesterday. Was up at a charity game in Bellaghy in honour of the late Sean Brown who was murdered the previous year. Tony Davis was up from Cork and was  playing as well as a load of Ulster players and Matt Connor was watching from his wheelchair at the side of the pitch I recall. Remember the news filtering through, in the crowd, of a bomb in Omagh but it was only after the game as I drove home, that the seriousness of it all became apparent. I also remember there was hardly a soul about, either on the roads or in any of the towns or villages I passed through on the way home that night, and it was a Saturday night as well.

ditto

was a good day too until the news started to filter through. game was then (rightfully) forgot about.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Orior

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 15, 2008, 03:37:57 PM
Agreed, RIP, a terrible terrible episope in our history.

I am not trying to spark a debate here, this is a genuine question, so perhaps out of respect the answer can be given as fact and no opinions of the right or wrong of it thrown in...
I heard earlier on the radio that some relatives were boycotting the memorial, but didnt hear why, can anyone advise?

I think that they didnt like the wording on the memorial.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Black memories for all of us, but especially for our Tyrone friends.

wherefromreferee?

I think most of us will remember where we were when the news started to filter through.
My thoughts are with anyone affected by that day, 10yrs ago.
In your Endo!

Puckoon

HHNB,

Some of the relatives were aggrieved at the wording of the memorial. There have been a few splits in the "victims campaign" and this appears to be another one.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2008, 03:44:46 PM
Black memories for all of us, but especially for our Tyrone friends.

Remembering also the victims from Spain and Buncrana.
Tbc....

ziggysego

A sad day for Omagh, Tyrone, Ireland and Europe.

Whatever problems we think we have, we only have to look back to that faithful day when so many peoples' lives changed for the worst. Hopefully them dark days will remain in the past and other families with never have to experience what so many did on a sunny Saturday afternoon on the 15th August 1998.
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

Will never forget that day !

Sad that 10 years on, some of the people of Omagh, the relatives, have not found peace and are still arguing. I'm not being critical of them by the way - I just think it's so sad, as they have suffered more than enough already.

tieroan

The problem is that part off the service is in the "catholic religion". Some of those deceased have relatives high up in the Orange lodge, hence they are fordidden to attend because it is classed as a catholic service. Idiots.

ziggysego

Quote from: tieroan on August 15, 2008, 04:59:07 PM
The problem is that part off the service is in the "catholic religion". Some of those deceased have relatives high up in the Orange lodge, hence they are fordidden to attend because it is classed as a catholic service. Idiots.

At the risk of this turning to debate, that's nonsense.

Skelton and Gallagher are both Catholics and they aren't going.
Testing Accessibility