Want to live longer then move to Roscommon

Started by the Deel Rover, August 13, 2008, 12:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Survey: Long life awaits in Roscommon
By Claire O'Sullivan

IF YOU want to live a long, healthy life, get thee to Roscommon.

According to the latest statistics from the Institute of Public Health (IPH), Roscommon has the highest life expectancy in the Republic for men and women.

If you live in the midlands county, you can expect to live to 76.9 if you're a man and until you're just over 82, if you're a woman.

Across the island, life expectancy stands at 75.6 years for men and 80.6 for women.

Leitrim men die younger than anywhere else in the Republic with the average man not living any more than 72.8 years whereas Co Limerick has the lowest life expectancy for women who aren't expected to live after 79.3 years.

Women who are living along the western seaboard are likely to live a longer, healthier life than Irish women anywhere else in the country.

The IPH believe this could be due to "lifestyle", "variations in behaviour patterns" or the access they may have to quality health and social care services.

Despite the billions of euro pumped into the Irish health service in the past decade, our life expectancy — particularly for women — is still lagging behind the 15 pre-2004 EU member states (EU 15). The average life expectancy across Europe is 76.8 years for men and 82.6 years for women.

Meanwhile, Louth has the highest premature death rate in the Republic, with 379.3 such deaths per 100,000 persons. This compares with an average of 324.9 per 100,000 nationally. According to the IPH, cancer, obesity and smoking are common causes of premature death.

Across the EU 15, the figure stands at 606 per 100,000.

Cancer rates are also analysed in the study which shows that Dublin has the highest rate of cancer in the Republic with 399.7 cases per 100,000 persons.

Across the whole island, Co Clare has the lowest incidence rate with 286.3 cases per 100,000 inhabitants. The report's authors say the high incidence in the east and south could be due to uneven socio-economic circumstances, differences in diet and lifestyle, and unequal access to health and social care services.

One in four of us were admitted to hospital in 2005, says the report. The Republic's national hospital admission rate was 24,460 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants.

Sligo had the highest admission rates in the Republic at 32,680 while Kerry has the lowest at 20,120 per 100,000.

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossie11

Time to blow the bridge in Carrick-on-Shannon and keep the Leitrims out..

The Real Laoislad

Jaysis riding sheep must be good for ya so  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

davereilly

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 13, 2008, 02:14:43 PM

Doesn't work for the Leitrim men though :D

btw is there a full list anywhere?

Bogball XV

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: davereilly on August 13, 2008, 05:09:52 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 13, 2008, 02:14:43 PM

Doesn't work for the Leitrim men though :D

btw is there a full list anywhere?

Of Leitrim men or sheep  ???
What kind of crazy shit are you into ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Niall Quinn

Might be a longer life, but think of the quality for Christ's sake.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

spectator

:D

"The Roscommon Man is truly an uncommon man. That's the first thing. You begin there. The species is totally different to all others in the West and instantly identifiable at long range no matter where met...

http://old.emigrant.ie/cormac/jan08.htm

Main Street

Quote from: spectator on August 13, 2008, 07:55:37 PM
:D

"The Roscommon Man is truly an uncommon man. That's the first thing. You begin there. The species is totally different to all others in the West and instantly identifiable at long range no matter where met...

http://old.emigrant.ie/cormac/jan08.htm

Alas,´tis a dying breed.

The Ros minors disprove his theory on Ros never winning the All Ireland ever again ;)

Rossfan

I'm always telling ye that we're a special people, a race apart from the mediocracy that surrounds us on all sides. ;)
Ye heard the oul' story I suppose of God making the world and explaining to Gabriel what he was at?
He said it's all about opposites so there are the hot dry areas, the cold wet areas, the high mountains the low lying plains and so on and so forth.
Then the Lord said I am now making a place called Ros Comáin which will be a lovely land of lakes,rivers,a couple of small mountains,abundant grasslands etc. I will fill it with a race of people who will be kings/presidents/taoisigh/poets/musicians/singers/sportsmen  etc of the highest degree.
Gabriel said "But Lord what about those opposites -where's the pain".
The Lord grinned  ;D ;D ;D and said "Wait till you see the showers of ***** Im going to surround them with"
:D :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggysego

Ballymoney people live the longest in Ireland.

Deel Rover, what's with the partitionist post?
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

I pity the Roscommon folk having to spend longer listening to Willie Hegarty on Shiteside Radio  :-[

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ziggysego on August 13, 2008, 09:43:47 PM
Ballymoney people live the longest in Ireland.

Deel Rover, what's with the partitionist post?

You have lost me there ziggy, i just posted the Article that was in the irish times yesterday, is there something wrong with that? ???
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 13, 2008, 11:19:44 PM
I pity the Roscommon folk having to spend longer listening to Willie Hegarty on Shiteside Radio  :-[
That's one reason I go to all Ros games  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM