Is Lucas a 'Bigot' ?

Started by full back, August 12, 2008, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Was listening to the radio on the way to work (think it was U105) & some boy, who I can only describe as a complete cnut, called Lucas was on.
He was yapping about Ariel washing powder having some connection to the GAA & calling for them to end their association immediately, because of links the GAA have with terrorism (Kevin Lynch club & the rally in Casement)
The radio presenter went on to mention all the local & national companies that were affiliated to the GAA & Lucas didnt have a f**king clue. When pressed he then said all these companies should sever their links to the GAA (Vodafone, BOI etc)
When told that one of the biggest trophies in the GAA was named after a Protesteant/Presbyterian he obviously didnt know this & said 'Oh, is it?'
How the fcuk are we ever going to move on from the dark ages if pr1cks like this are allowed air time?
A bigot of the highest f**king order
Rant over

Tankie

Quote from: full back on August 12, 2008, 10:13:51 AM
Was listening to the radio on the way to work (think it was U105) & some boy, who I can only describe as a complete cnut, called Lucas was on.
He was yapping about Ariel washing powder having some connection to the GAA & calling for them to end their association immediately, because of links the GAA have with terrorism (Kevin Lynch club & the rally in Casement)
The radio presenter went on to mention all the local & national companies that were affiliated to the GAA & Lucas didnt have a f**king clue. When pressed he then said all these companies should sever their links to the GAA (Vodafone, BOI etc)
When told that one of the biggest trophies in the GAA was named after a Protesteant/Presbyterian he obviously didnt know this & said 'Oh, is it?'
How the fcuk are we ever going to move on from the dark ages if pr1cks like this are allowed air time?
Rant over

There are idiots every where, on a side note of how dumb some people are a girl i know who is a trainnee accountant only realised that there was an oil crisis 2weeks ago. I then asked her had she not been watching the news for the past 6months and she told me that she doesnt watch the news or read teh papers as they are boring! i really wanted to just kick her for being such an idiot - also she voted no to lisbon because she didnt understand it! - a focking clown of the highest order if you ask me.

Rant Over
Grand Slam Saturday!

An Fear Rua

Rant over

I disagree, give these types as much air time as possible, the more they are shown up the better as far as im concerned.

It could be worse, he could have been really nasty to a colleague

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7555589.stm

how times change...
Its Grim up North

rosnarun

Not while there are idiot point scoring  over every remark an idiot from the other tradition makes. I never feel more solidarty with our Black Brothers than i do reading some of the contribution to this board
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

full back

Quote from: rosnarun on August 12, 2008, 11:45:34 AM
Not while there are idiot point scoring  over every remark an idiot from the other tradition makes. I never feel more solidarty with our Black Brothers than i do reading some of the contribution to this board

Was unaware I shouldnt comment on something regarding the GAA on a 'GAA Discussion Board'  ::)

nifan

Unfortunately i think there will always be bigotry. Whats important is rducing it as much as possible, and clamping down on those whose bigotry causes harm to others.

full back

Quote from: nifan on August 12, 2008, 12:38:55 PM
and clamping down on those whose bigotry causes harm to others.

I think we should clamp down on all bigots in the public domain, whether it is causing harm or not :-\

nifan

I agree full back, but it gets very difficult to legally take action on something like bigotry outside of a direct incident. Therefore stronger action must be taken against those who are able to be successfully prosecuted.

By harm I do not mean a physical attack necessarily, Id include things such as sectarian graffitti etc.

Puckoon

Rav67

Quote from: Tankie on August 12, 2008, 10:20:33 AM
There are idiots every where, on a side note of how dumb some people are a girl i know who is a trainnee accountant only realised that there was an oil crisis 2weeks ago. I then asked her had she not been watching the news for the past 6months and she told me that she doesnt watch the news or read teh papers as they are boring! i really wanted to just kick her for being such an idiot - also she voted no to lisbon because she didnt understand it! - a focking clown of the highest order if you ask me.

Rant Over

Was on holiday recently and got chatting to 2 pretty posh privately-educately English birds, bear in mind they were both going to Durham which is really good university to do business and law so they obviously have really good grades.  The only places in Ireland they had heard of were Belfast and Dublin and then one asked "Dublin, that's in, like, Northern Ireland, right?"  The other one thought it was too!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 12, 2008, 10:25:52 AM
Rant over

I disagree, give these types as much air time as possible, the more they are shown up the better as far as im concerned.

It could be worse, he could have been really nasty to a colleague

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7555589.stm

how times change...

Your dead right. Why get so hot and bothered about some totally ill informed idiot going on  the radio and making a fool of himself. There are plenty of fools of all creeds talking rubbish on radio shows because they get people talking and up the listenership ratings. Also, I don't know if having a bias against the GAA (no matter how ridiculous the reasoning) can be defined as bigotry. 

nifan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 12, 2008, 02:32:35 PM
Also, I don't know if having a bias against the GAA (no matter how ridiculous the reasoning) can be defined as bigotry. 

thinking every one connected with the GAA supports terrorists is a reasoning to have bias against the GAA, and is obviously bigoted.

full back

Quote from: nifan on August 12, 2008, 02:39:41 PM
Also, I don't know if having a bias against the GAA (no matter how ridiculous the reasoning) can be defined as bigotry. 

thinking every one connected with the GAA supports terrorists is a reasoning to have bias against the GAA, and is obviously bigoted.

Spot on nifan

mylestheslasher

Quote from: nifan on August 12, 2008, 02:39:41 PM

I didn't hear the radio interview but I don't see in the initial post on this thread where "lucas" said that 'everyone connect with the GAA supposrts terrorism'. Anyway, its a total non event either way in my opinion.

Evil Genius

To paraphrase the late, great Kenny Everett, this is "Radio for the Hard of Thinking"

Sounds to me like this guy Lucas is at best an idiot, at worst a bigoted one. But that such people exist - in all communities, as it happens - should come as no surprise to anyone.

Therefore, as long as he's only spouting his drivel on brainless radio phone-in programmes, he's probably not the biggest problem facing this country.

Anyhow, this station - from the same stable as brings us UTV and TalkSport  :o - only exists in order to make money for its owners. They do so by attracting as many listeners as possible, for the least possible cost. And the best way to do that is to court controversy via the likes of Lucas.

So anyone who allows themselves to get wound-up by it really ought to ask themselves why, when the solution is simple - retune to another station. Why, it's even more effective than pointing out that Sam Maguire was a Prod... ::)

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"