If you were giving out All Stars at this stage, who would be shoo ins ?

Started by orangeman, August 11, 2008, 02:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: orangeman on August 13, 2008, 12:27:00 PM
Clarke would get my vote as well. But was there THAT much between them really ??

I think there was, if you look a say the down game, clarke was one of the bets performers, stevie did ok but was out shined by his team mate. This happened in other games as well. You also have to take into account stevies hit and miss record from frees.

orangeman

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 13, 2008, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 13, 2008, 12:27:00 PM
Clarke would get my vote as well. But was there THAT much between them really ??

I think there was, if you look a say the down game, clarke was one of the bets performers, stevie did ok but was out shined by his team mate. This happened in other games as well. You also have to take into account stevies hit and miss record from frees.

Can Clarke take a free ?

Mc Donnell kept them in the Ulster final first day around.

DirtyDozen12

Marty McGrath surely warrants a mention...has been superb for Fermanagh this year.  If Tommy Walsh of Kerry keeps going the way he is would not be suprised to see him nominated for an all star!!
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

orangeman

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 13, 2008, 12:35:57 PM
Marty McGrath surely warrants a mention...has been superb for Fermanagh this year.  If Tommy Walsh of Kerry keeps going the way he is would not be suprised to see him nominated for an all star!!

As I pointed out earlier, has played two and subbed on both occasions.

Some people are saying he might get Young Player of the Year ??

Lazer

Quote from: guevara on August 12, 2008, 06:13:25 PM
as a Down man I cant believe people are calling for Dan Gordon to get one?

fair enough he had fair game against Tyrone but that was it!!
Against Laois caught 2 or 3 at start then lost midfield to Clancy!

Wexford? we aint even gonna mention that game!!

There is more games than just the championship you know, he played welled in the League too!
What about the Offaly match - he was just superb and dont forget he didnt have the whole match against Laois!

Dan Gordan, was by far downs player of the year!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

orangeman

Quote from: Lazer on August 13, 2008, 12:45:03 PM

There is more games than just the championship you know, he played welled in the League too!
What about the Offaly match - he was just superb and dont forget he didnt have the whole match against Laois!

That's right - he was awesome in the Mc Kenna Cup final against Derry in Casement !

full back

Quote from: Lazer on August 13, 2008, 12:45:03 PM

The Allstars should include all games during the year but the reality is the Championship is were Allstar awards are won & lost.
The National League winners might get a token Allstar

orangeman

Most all stars are won and lost in 2 days in August and 1 in September.

feetofflames

Chief Wiggum

ExiledGael

Quote from: INDIANA on August 12, 2008, 11:14:17 PM
hanley/meehan -galway
donaghy/o mahoney/tomas-kerry
a brogan/s ryan -dublin
tyrone- sean cavanagh
armagh- r clarke

think they are all shoe ins.

john keane should get one but he probably won't. Seanie johnstone should get one but he won't. Ruairi Woods has an outside chance depending on performances here on in. John Doyle shouldn't be too far away and he might nick one.

Honestly haven't been really impressed by Tomas O'Se as much as in previous years. Killian Young was a lot more influential last week as superb and all as O'Se is. Tomas could get one, but he's certainly not a shoo-in.
Keane will maybe get a nomination, Doyle (at least) and Woods too), Johnston is an outstanding talent but he hasn't a prayer.

davereilly

Ciarán Lyng? (Wexford)

As good as Forde and does as much work but not a household name (deserves to be though)

his holiness nb

Quote from: davereilly on August 13, 2008, 05:07:23 PM
Ciarán Lyng? (Wexford)

As good as Forde and does as much work but not a household name (deserves to be though)

Up there with Sheehan for best free taker in the country this year too
Ask me holy bollix

davereilly

Without a doubt the best free taker is Emlyn Mulligan (Leitrim) just unknown (for obvious reasons)

blanketattack

Quote from: orangeman on August 12, 2008, 11:01:33 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 12, 2008, 10:26:42 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 12, 2008, 09:50:16 AM
How many games has Walsh played for Kerry to suddently be in line for player of the year ???

He's already played 2, so will have played 4 if Kerry get to the final, more than enough to qualify for Young player of the year.

Kieran Donaghy got Player Of The Year in '06 based on his 4 performances from the qualifiers onwards.

Played 2 and subbed in 2 ! Hardly the form of player of the year !

For Young Player Of The Year, playing every minute in every game isn't a necessity. Walsh has already played more minutes this year than MFR did when he won Young Player of the Year.

North Longford

QuoteWithout a doubt the best free taker is Emlyn Mulligan (Leitrim) just unknown (for obvious reasons)

Wouldn't agree. Excellent free taker and good all round player too but don't think he has the range that Sheehan has. A 45 is just a tap over for Sheehan. You need to put him out another 5 metres before you even wonder if he has the range and I never expect him to miss. Reckon he's the best free taker since Maurice Fitz and could well end up better.