Previous topic - Next topic

did yesterday save football?

yes
40 (48.2%)
no
43 (51.8%)

Total Members Voted: 83

smcafee

yesterday in croke park was a great day for football.

wexford played a great last ten minutes to beat one of the ugliest,over hyped,anti-football counties of the 21st century that will not be missed by true gaels.they have the spirit of the gaa in them that fills with hope and joy to underdogs.

kerry and galway played the best game in croke park since 2000 in poor weather.the game as it should be played,no blanket defence,no diving,no cynical play,no third man tackle,no ten defenders around the player with the ball and some great scores.if brennan wants to make himself useful he should demand that a copy of this game is sent on dvd to every boy and girl playing in ulster.

after watching the heap of shit ireland saw last week that blocked the toilet yesterday saw it flushed down.

only dublin to i hope clean tyrone out next and the puke era will be over.

Tyrone Dreamer

What has the Galway Kerry game got to do with ulster? It was a good game fair enough but wasnt as good to watch as the Tyrone Down replay which had more scores and numerous twists throughout the match.

Arthur

Quote from: smcafee on August 10, 2008, 09:53:33 AM

wexford played a great last ten minutes to beat one of the ugliest,over hyped,anti-football counties of the 21st century that will not be missed by true gaels.they have the spirit of the gaa in them that fills with hope and joy to underdogs.

kerry and galway played the best game in croke park since 2000 in poor weather.the game as it should be played,no blanket defence,no diving,no cynical play,no third man tackle,no ten defenders around the player with the ball and some great scores.if brennan wants to make himself useful he should demand that a copy of this game is sent on dvd to every boy and girl playing in ulster.

after watching the heap of shit ireland saw last week that blocked the toilet yesterday saw it flushed down.

So Pat Spillan is your mentor; please please please define puke football to me; I'm guessing its just Ulster football - get over it son - or at least try and give an opinion yourself instead of quoting from some tool who was bitter that his beloved county was beaten in 2002 2003 and 2005 by far better teams!

DUBSFORSAM1

Arthur - Puke football to me is the emphasis on defending over attacking, picking forwards for their defensive work, crowding back 12/13 players inside your 45 because your backs can't cope without the added protection, picking 1/2 scoring forwards only, a total inability to kick scores because the players are picked for running ability rather than footballing ability, 3rd man tacklling, off the ball fouling, cynical dragging of jerseys everywhere to slow down attacks.....

smcafee

Quote from: Arthur on August 10, 2008, 10:21:42 AM
Quote from: smcafee on August 10, 2008, 09:53:33 AM

So Pat Spillan is your mentor; please please please define puke football to me; I'm guessing its just Ulster football - get over it son - or at least try and give an opinion yourself instead of quoting from some tool who was bitter that his beloved county was beaten in 2002 2003 and 2005 by far better teams!
read everything that dubsforsam1 has said.plus diving and faking injury.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 10, 2008, 10:35:30 AM
Arthur - Puke football to me is the emphasis on defending over attacking, picking forwards for their defensive work, crowding back 12/13 players inside your 45 because your backs can't cope without the added protection, picking 1/2 scoring forwards only, a total inability to kick scores because the players are picked for running ability rather than footballing ability, 3rd man tacklling, off the ball fouling, cynical dragging of jerseys everywhere to slow down attacks.....

What about jumping up and down in players faces and pointing at score boards - is that puke football?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 10, 2008, 10:42:51 AM

What about jumping up and down in players faces and pointing at score boards - is that puke football?

Yes it is and I complained about Dublin doing it last year and said they shouldn't and they have stopped that this year......though the likes of Freeman, Donaghy, McDonnell, McMenamin and others seem to get away with it for some reason!!

Arthur

Surely the aim of the game is to score more than your opposition; whether that be you score 4 and they score 3 - so what - or have I missed something?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Arthur on August 10, 2008, 10:50:07 AM

Surely the aim of the game is to score more than your opposition; whether that be you score 4 and they score 3 - so what - or have I missed something?

Well as Fermanagh/Armagh etc have found out when you only have 1 or 2 players capable of scoring it means that you are far less likely to win games especially against good teams....but if you want to keep trying to win games when you will rarely score more than 10-12 points per match fine and dandy....maybe if you tried picking good forwards who can score and defenders who can defend you would have a better chance...

and if we started seeing games of  4 point to 3 how long before people would stop watching them???

pintsofguinness

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 10, 2008, 10:44:31 AM

Yes it is and I complained about Dublin doing it last year and said they shouldn't and they have stopped that this year......though the likes of Freeman, Donaghy, McDonnell, McMenamin and others seem to get away with it for some reason!!

Do they? I didn't notice.

Arthur
Yeah, Dublin can't beat it - that's why it's puke football. 
In Dublin's half time team talks they discuss what gameplan and tactics will please the crowd, winning is just a bonus.

smcafee

what about pointing to the number on the back of your jersery?

The Real Laoislad

I think its a load of aul bollix when people go on about the right and wrong way to play football,At the end of the day football same as any sport is about winning..
Right some of the games that are played lets say negatively are not great as a spectacle for the neutral but i could safely say every single poster on this board would not give a flying f**k what way their respective county played if it meant they won the All Ireland
Only the begrudgers would  remember what style of play they used to win,The winning team and fans wouldn't give a toss and if that means playing "puke" ::) football to win then so be it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: smcafee on August 10, 2008, 10:56:30 AM

what about pointing to the number on the back of your jersery?
What's wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with a bit of a celebration is there?

smcafee

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 10, 2008, 11:00:27 AM
I think its a load of aul bollix when people go on about the right and wrong way to play football,At the end of the day football same as any sport is about winning..
Right some of the games that are played lets say negatively are not great as a spectacle for the neutral but i could safely say every single poster on this board would not give a flying f**k what way their respective county played if it meant they won the All Ireland
Only the begrudgers would  remember what style of play they used to win,The winning team and fans wouldn't give a toss and if that means playing "puke" ::) football to win then so be it

one word sums it all up

mylestheslasher

In answer to the question you posed, well yes and no. I agree it was a good day for football for 2 reasons. 1) It is good to see a new team emerge and play good football like Wexford did and in doing so bring up the quality of Leinster football - which has not been great for a while. 2) The 2nd game was unique in that galway went player to player against Kerry and matched them for 3/4 of the game - but then you could argue that they were niave to  think they could win against a superior team playing with those tactics. Even so, the fact it was one on one is what resulted in some tremendous scoring. The "no" part to my answer is for your childish comments on Armagh. I think Armagh have been a great team for the past 10 years. They reintroduced direct football into the GAA successfully. They are a big strong team and I personally enjoy watching them play. Making silly comments about them like you did ranks of jealousy to me.