yes
40 (48.2%)
no
43 (51.8%)

Total Members Voted: 83

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 10, 2008, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: belleaqua on August 10, 2008, 03:02:07 PM

Tbh Indiana Galway were naive in trying to go toe to toe with Kerry, they never stood a chance, they are short about 10 players imo - lovely game to watch but imo they didn't 'nearly pull it off' at all, apart from a lack of negativity in their play there was also a lack of hunger and belief, for the last 20 mins of the match Kerry won as much possession as they wanted and scored at will, now obviously it was better to watch than Cork v Kildare will be today, but I think Kildare may go closer to an All Ireland semi appearance (serious egg on face potential here).

Dont agree with that at all we showed great hunger, heart and desire yesterday Bogball, if you made these comments the last year fair enough but yesterday we were undone by Kerry's class and bad decision making at crucial times.

I thought that for about five/ten minutes after the goal you were on top, but that was the only time in the game, from memory Galway barely won a breaking ball outside of this period - I think the Meehan did brilliantly with the amount of possession he got, but i thought midfield, half forward and half back lines all need serious revamping - admittedly there are a few young lads in there who will come on, but overall there were too many passengers there yesterday.
I don't want to be too harsh as it was a very enjoyable game, but given the injuries to players like Armstrong and Joyce it was probably the wrong option to try and take Kerry on playing football - in saying that Kerry were extremely impressive yesterday and it probably wouldn't have mattered how you played them.
[/quote]

We had a problem at midfield alright but we knew that going into the game. Joe Bergin came on but probably wasn't even fit enough to run around the middle for 20 minutes so he was sent up front and in fairness to him plundered 1-1. We probably should have got a couple more scores from the ball he won up there to be honest. Had we been able to win even 10-15% more possession around the middle it may well have been enough for us to win the game.

I think a big problem was that due to the injuries we were really limited to the changes we could make. The subs Kerry put on made a big difference for them. If we could have put on a Nicky Joyce and a Sean Armstrong to run at Kerry when they were wobbling we might have been in business but we just didn't have them. We had to send on a half fit Joe Bergin and had to reintroduce Mattie Clancy who himself had gone off injured at half-time. Hopefully with a few adjustments and maybe one or two new players next year we might go a step further.

belleaqua

QuoteReally? You're more concerned about how neutrals view you than winning?  That's the talk of losers.

Call it what you like but I can honestly say I would be ashamed and embarrassed to win an All-Ireland using defensive and cynical tactics like I witnessed with Armagh yesterday. Maybe because I am used of Galways tradition but give me players like Meehan, Joyce and Donnellan anyday ahead of dire negativity thay may lead to success.

Does one not see the bigger issue here anyway. How do counties like Armagh expect to unearth serious, genuine talent in their respective counties when a negative mindset is ingrained in that counties mindset? Where will the next Clarke or McDonnell come from? The likes of Galway and Kerry will always produce classy flair players and will be successful in the longrun IMO

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Puckoon on August 10, 2008, 03:24:54 PM
Kerry Galway was a lovely exhibition game. No intensity, tension or fire. Never were you on the edge of your seat which for me is a must as a GAA fan.

Everyone was raving about the score taking - no doubt it was an excellent exhibition, but it should be when there isnt a defender within touching distance of the player striking the ball.

Well people seemed to enjoy the game so what can you do. The Ulster final and the replay were "intense" I guess but I didn't particularly enjoy watching either of them. Different strokes for different folks.

INDIANA

the point being pog as the stats prove they lose anyway regardless of system. Fermanagh for instance regardless of tactics or system would never beat Kerry at the moment so the point in the thread is that inferior teams can get to a certain level playing a defensive system but they will never win any trophies with it. galway have a better chance sticking to their instincts thats why they have won a good number of all-irelands at all grades of football , a lot of people forget that. Galway have always been a terrific footballing county and have produced some great players over the years.People fromcertain counties tend to forget that. maybe they should look at the roll of honour some day.

Bogball XV

Quote from: belleaqua on August 10, 2008, 03:21:18 PM
QuoteI thought that for about five/ten minutes after the goal you were on top, but that was the only time in the game, from memory Galway barely won a breaking ball outside of this period - I think the Meehan did brilliantly with the amount of possession he got, but i thought midfield, half forward and half back lines all need serious revamping - admittedly there are a few young lads in there who will come on, but overall there were too many passengers there yesterday.
I don't want to be too harsh as it was a very enjoyable game, but given the injuries to players like Armstrong and Joyce it was probably the wrong option to try and take Kerry on playing football - in saying that Kerry were extremely impressive yesterday and it probably wouldn't have mattered how you played them.

Ya true enough we didnt win enough breaks but Clancy was meant to be a big part of that but seemed curtailed with injury. Personally I felt they battled as best they could, I wouldnt fault them for heart or desire but have in the past. For that I blame the previous management who damaged Galway football in this period.

I think you make a valid point as regards Joyce and Armstrong. Now I wouldnt change our style because of that but when you see an injured Matt Clancy being reintroduced you know your bench is slack. Armstrong and Joyce would have given us the impetus to push on and win the game.
you're right, i shouldn't have said a lack of hunger really, they did battle as well as they could, but just didn't have enough at the end.

belleaqua

Kerry Galway was a lovely exhibition game. No intensity, tension or fire. Never were you on the edge of your seat which for me is a must as a GAA fan.

Everyone was raving about the score taking - no doubt it was an excellent exhibition, but it should be when there isnt a defender within touching distance of the player striking the ball.

Yes but arguably you miss the point. This is the constant argument that is trotted out to undermine a high scoring free flowing game. Of course defenders suffer when the game is played without tactics. Gaelic football is an attacking game. When teams go man to man the attacker dictates play and therefore defenders struggle. Kerry and Galway could easily resort to blanket defence, they chose not to. How good are Tyrone's or Armagh's defence man for man?? We will never know.

Zulu

POG I have no problem with WM and Fermanagh employing defensive tactics to win as many championship games as possible, though IMO Fermanagh have the personel to win playing more positively. The point I was making is that it isn't naive to play positive attack football, in fact it is the best way to play football and I think counties like Tyrone (especially), Armagh, Derry, Meath, Donegal, Mayo, Cork and a few more have the players to go toe to toe with anyone and be as successful as they would if they played defensive football.

QuoteEveryone was raving about the score taking - no doubt it was an excellent exhibition, but it should be when there isnt a defender within touching distance of the player striking the ball.

That just isn't true on two counts, first there was plenty of pressure on the kickers just not 3 or 4 players surrounding them, secondly we have seen plenty of IC forwards kick wide after wide under no pressure so it isn't that easy.

Puckoon

Quote from: belleaqua on August 10, 2008, 03:35:19 PM

Yes but arguably you miss the point. This is the constant argument that is trotted out to undermine a high scoring free flowing game. Of course defenders suffer when the game is played without tactics. Gaelic football is an attacking game. When teams go man to man the attacker dictates play and therefore defenders struggle. Kerry and Galway could easily resort to blanket defence, they chose not to. How good are Tyrone's or Armagh's defence man for man?? We will never know.

Maybe that is the reason Galway contributed to a "wonderful spectacle" or "a throw back game" as Mr O'Rourke calls it. Im certainly not knocking it - more power to them. Maybe if they viewed it as a possession game, and still had the attackers to score (e.g. Tyrone 03, 05) they might have had a shot at winning the game!
Personally - Id want my team going out to win, not kick lovely points and lose. There is a balance - and people are right that there are teams who cannot find that balance. Tyrone showed in the AI winning seasons that it can be done. Intensity and classy footballing.

Puckoon

Quote from: Zulu on August 10, 2008, 03:36:30 PM

That just isn't true on two counts, first there was plenty of pressure on the kickers just not 3 or 4 players surrounding them, secondly we have seen plenty of IC forwards kick wide after wide under no pressure so it isn't that easy.

We are talking galway and kerry here, two teams with great scoring forwards. Cant be compared to fermanagh/kildare.

belleaqua

Quote from: Puckoon on August 10, 2008, 03:45:01 PM

Maybe that is the reason Galway contributed to a "wonderful spectacle" or "a throw back game" as Mr O'Rourke calls it. Im certainly not knocking it - more power to them. Maybe if they viewed it as a possession game, and still had the attackers to score (e.g. Tyrone 03, 05) they might have had a shot at winning the game!
Personally - Id want my team going out to win, not kick lovely points and lose. There is a balance - and people are right that there are teams who cannot find that balance. Tyrone showed in the AI winning seasons that it can be done. Intensity and classy footballing.

Of course but I personally would hate to sacrafice an attacking game. It was obviously an excellent Tyrone team withs lots of ability however their style wouldnt be for me. I didnt particularly enjoy watching them but would take it over Armagh any day.

bigpaul

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 10, 2008, 10:35:30 AM
Arthur - Puke football to me is the emphasis on defending over attacking, picking forwards for their defensive work, crowding back 12/13 players inside your 45 because your backs can't cope without the added protection, picking 1/2 scoring forwards only, a total inability to kick scores because the players are picked for running ability rather than footballing ability, 3rd man tacklling, off the ball fouling, cynical dragging of jerseys everywhere to slow down attacks.....

Dubs you're beginning to sound like a broken record on this issue. Before you go, which you usually do when we get down to te fine detail of this discussion, please tell me what type of defensive formation Wexford employed yesterday?

Puckoon

Quote from: belleaqua on August 10, 2008, 03:53:10 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 10, 2008, 03:45:01 PM

Of course but I personally would hate to sacrafice an attacking game. It was obviously an excellent Tyrone team withs lots of ability however their style wouldnt be for me. I didnt particularly enjoy watching them but would take it over Armagh any day.

Understandable. but I dont think playing a defensive game when not in posession means you cant attack with the kitchen sink when you have possession.They arent mutually exclusive. If you were in the semi final would you care of the score had have been 2-1?

tyroneboi

In Tyrone's two All-Ireland wins where apparantly they played "puke football" they scored the following:

2003 - 3-134 in 8 games

2005 - 11-142 in 10 games

People talk shit about Tyrone being this ultra negative and defensive team but you dont do scoring like that without a playing exciting, attacking football!!

By the way have we found out where the original poster is from yet? Wish he would fcuk off to the Hoganstand.

clarshack

my sentiments exactly. IMHO the only game under mickey hartes reign where tyrone were a wee bit defensive was against kerry in 2003.

winsamsoon

Tyrone boi it is simply jealousy lad. I am from Armagh and i can say that when Tyrone won their All Irelands they had the best attacking forwards in Ireland and the defenders were doing the defending. It seems when defenders defend they get almost chastised for it, that is why they are there :-\. It is a well known fact that when teams are being successful the others teams get jealous.If they can't beat a team on the field then they will try and beat them with the media or think up excuses, particularly the southern media. There exists a "holier than thou attitude". Where we have certain southern teams thinking no one else has a right to win an All Ireland then when the apple cart is upset and someone else wins and all Ireland then it "couldn't have been football that beat them" :o :-\ :-\ It had to be some other tactic. The only purpose of which is to ruin the game of gaelic. A complete load of shite. Then when it backfires as it did yesterday on Armagh the same guys turn into a group known as the "i told you so gang"

These guys need to catch on to themselves. In all sports teams do all they can to win. Teams employ different tactics to win different games this is not a negative feature it is simply another aspect to the game and certainly doesn't deserve the critism that it gets from certain sections of he GAA and media.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.