Christy Moore

Started by youngfella, August 09, 2008, 01:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

I just got ticket to see him in Liverpool in october time ! Love listening his cds. Whats he like live?
Pull hard and early

downgirl

J70

Saw him in one of the lecture halls in the science building in UCD in the late 80s. Great show. Can't remember for the life of me what the hell he was playing a show there for though! Maybe it was Science Day or rag week or something.

Square Ball

seen him at the west belast festival a long time ago, or was that part of it?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

BallyLad

Excellent Live though much more laid back than he used to be.  Have seen him a few times.  Last time it was a fairly small gig 600 - 700 people and he had great interaction with the audience which usen't be he style.  Much more chilled out - as long as the crowd are respectful.

The Iceman

very good live - one of the few artists who actually sounds like his studio recorded cd

definitely a lot more laid back than about 10 years ago when you daren't have went to the toilet during the show

i was working in the hotel in armagh about 4/5 years ago when he was playing - he sent me for dvds'from xtravision for him - in badness i got shrek, spiderman and something else - though he laughed
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

stevecw

He's brilliant live. Saw him in Vicar St last year, great show himself & Declan Sinnott.
As the last poster said he sounds just as good live as he does on CD. Well worth going to.

youngfella

Pull hard and early

5 Sams

Saw him on Friday night in Killarney...fcuk I cant believe how chilled out he is now....he was in great form ....positively encouraging people to sing, clap, stamp their feet....played a lot of the classics....Sinnott can fair play thon guitar :)
The Aristocrat Years

pintsofguinness

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 28, 2010, 09:15:24 PM
Saw him on Friday night in Killarney...fcuk I cant believe how chilled out he is now....he was in great form ....positively encouraging people to sing, clap, stamp their feet....played a lot of the classics....Sinnott can fair play thon guitar :)

He must have changed! someone I know went to see him a few years ago and he stopped mid song to give out to the crowd for singing along and said he wanted back up singers he'd hire them or something to that affect.
People then started to shout out song requests and he stopped again and they got a lecture on how time went in to making up the playlists and all this shite.   :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

5 Sams

I'd say about 6 or 7 people shouted out requests from the audience and he played them all straight away.  Moody hoor...I've seen him carrying on like you said before....but on Friday night you couldn't have annoyed him.....
The Aristocrat Years

The Real Laoislad

When he lived in Castlecomer in Co.Kilkenny before he was that well known he was refused a drink in a pub one night as they thought he was a traveller..

This may or may not be true,but it is a story that does the rounds down there
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 28, 2010, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on March 28, 2010, 09:15:24 PM

He must have changed! someone I know went to see him a few years ago and he stopped mid song to give out to the crowd for singing along and said he wanted back up singers he'd hire them or something to that affect.
People then started to shout out song requests and he stopped again and they got a lecture on how time went in to making up the playlists and all this shite.   :-\

He was fair fucked up on the drink, maybe that is why. He does the same on one of his live albums too but I always thought it was a joke myself. Much more of a relaxed character now since he gave up the drink.

5 Sams

Reminds me of a true story Laois lad..I used to work in a pub called the The Bridge Bar in Newry. One night the actor John Lynch (who's from Camlough) came in for a pint with his mate. Now the owner Mick Toner (RIP) was a decent chap who would have talked to the devil however the wife Bernie was a different kettle of fish. She had no time for messers at all and if you were remotely scruffy looking you got the road cos you were a "Gypsy". (Her words). Anyway Lynch and his mate were refused a beer cos she reckoned they were "Gypsies". They had the long hair and the stubble etc. Everyone in the bar was aghast...because they all knew Lynch's mate was in the middle of making a film called "In the Name of the Father". She was only after throwing Daniel Day Lewis out of the pub.
The Aristocrat Years

sandwiches_in_the_boot

To enjoy Christy these days you'd best check out the last album or two, laid back as has been said but some of his best stuff IMO. Don't go expecting live at the point a la '94.

If the crowd's respectful and the craic's good he'll reciprocate. He doesn't mind the requests just so long as they're not f**king shouted in the first 15 minutes. There's always one bollocks who'll spoil the craic.

He gets very involved in the songs he plays, especially the emotional ones, which is fair play as he puts his heart and soul into them and people wonder why he might get moody when some eejit shout "JOXER!!" after he's sung about women's being strip searched in Armagh jail.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken