McIver stays on as Donegal boss

Started by Armagh Exile, August 07, 2008, 12:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh Exile

McIver stays on as Donegal boss

Brian McIver is to remain in charge of Donegal for at least another year.

He informed county board officials on Wednesday night that he intended to stay as manager for 2009.

There are to be changes to his backroom team and it is believed Adrian McGuckin has already stepped down as advisor to be replaced by a Donegal-based mentor.

McIver had raised speculation about his position after the defeat to Monaghan when he said he would take time out before making a decision on his future.

BBC Sport

wherefromreferee?

Would this free up Adrian McGuckin to join the Derry set-up (assuming off course that Paddy Crozier steps aside!)
In your Endo!

orangeman

Fair play to Brian for taking another year at it - hopefully they can build on this year - if he could unearth another forward or two, I think they'd be not far away next year.

screenexile

Can't see why McIver is staying on with this Donegal team. Sure they showed more fight than last year but I just don't think they have the talent or the mentality to win the All Ireland. Or Ulster for that matter.

He must see something different than the rest of us though and he knows his stuff so who am I to judge?!

ziggysego

Quote from: screenexile on August 07, 2008, 01:00:55 PM
Can't see why McIver is staying on with this Donegal team. Sure they showed more fight than last year but I just don't think they have the talent or the mentality to win the All Ireland. Or Ulster for that matter.

He must see something different than the rest of us though and he knows his stuff so who am I to judge?!

That or he's holding out for the Tyrone job ;)
Testing Accessibility

Yes I Would

In this respect they are on a par with Derry. Alot of underage potential that might take another year to see through.

Uladh

Gaffer

Couldn't see him being considered for the Tyrone job!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

reddgnhand

Quote from: Gaffer on August 07, 2008, 05:04:57 PM
Couldn't see him being considered for the Tyrone job!

He was pipped at the post by Harte in 2003. So you never know. I'm sure he has a desire to manage his native county sometime.

dodo

What has he achieved at inter county level ? As far as I can make out nothing at championship time, he is damn lucky to be allowed another year with a talented group of players. That's the problem, skillful players like Christy Toye and Colm McFadden have only shown glimpses of their undoubted potential.

INDIANA

i think you'll find the reason why donegal don;t fufill their potential is largely down to the players.on paper arugably the most talented in ulster, but short on delivery.never seen such a waste of talent. terrible shame.

J70

Quote from: Uladh on August 07, 2008, 04:14:23 PM

He's lucky they've kept him on

There is definitely an element within the county that wouldn't be too impressed with his overall performance so far, particularly this year. Yes, he can only work with what is there, and we are lacking a midfielder, a full-back and one or two decent half-forwards (but maybe Christy Toye can rediscover some consistency and Ciaran Bonner can be enticed back to solve those problems), but he was shown up badly in the Derry match and, arguably, the Roscommon match. However, the players, if Cassidy is to be believed, are mostly behind him, so let's see if he can get some improvement for next season.

J70

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2008, 07:10:09 PM
i think you'll find the reason why donegal don;t fufill their potential is largely down to the players.on paper arugably the most talented in ulster, but short on delivery.never seen such a waste of talent. terrible shame.

We've plenty of good players, but we're a bit weak in certain areas. We've been trying to find a decent midfield partner for Neil Gallagher for three years, but nothing seems to work consistently. Maybe Brendan Boyle will do something if and when he gets back, but he's been on the panel for five or six years now anyway. Outside of Karl Lacey, we're not blessed with extremely tight markers in the full-back line either, nor do we have a big dominant full back to lord it under the high ball (probably a common enough complaint though). And while we have lots of very good players, how many do we have that would walk onto most other county teams? Lacey and Cassidy without doubt, McFadden (when playing well), Murphy (assuming he fulfills his promise), then perhaps Kavanagh and Dunnion. The rest would all challenge, but they couldn't be considered near the very best in their positions.

Uladh

McIvor managed a star studded ballinderry team to an all ireland club championship and that is no mean feat. however, you have to remember that dessie ryan was prominent on his back room team there.

has he done anything else in management before the donegal job?

Yes I Would

He got the O Rourkes in Drumintee to play football one day for about 15 minutes without whinging at each other, the referee, their own teammates, the opposition!
No mean feat, so a top man!!