Kearns steps down

Started by Dinny Breen, August 07, 2008, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Laois senior football manager Liam Kearns has announced his resignation with immediate effect.

Kearn's decision comes on the back on a disappointing Championship campaign in which they were beaten by Wexford in the Leinster Championship semi-final before being edged out by Down in the qualifiers.

Never has minor and u21 success been so bad for a county.....
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

Where will he go to next ?

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2008, 10:43:05 AM

Never has minor and u21 success been so bad for a county.....

That depends where yuor're coming from. Laois won the first of those underage titles back in 1996 and were coming from a position of being anything between 4th and 10th ranked team in Leinster to winning the first senior in 57 years in 2003 and being consistently in the top 2-3 in Leinster and top 10 in Ireland.
Yeah, Laois should probably have won another Leinster or two but all in all I wouldn't describe our recent underage record as "bad for a county"
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Dinny Breen

QuoteI wouldn't describe our recent underage record as "bad for a county"

As regards senior expectations they are ridiculously high in Laois, Laois have some very talented players but Micko was driven away and now Kearns.  Can't see any manager from outside the county applying for that post, maybe a internal appointment is exactly what Laois need though..

As an aside, since John Doran is no longer doing the fitness for Kildare we looked stronger and are free of injuries, Laois seem to have a lot of injuries this year, guess who was doing their fitness.....
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Will Pat Roe get his holy grail, or has the Offaly experience reduced his appeal as a manager?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2008, 12:33:27 PM

As regards senior expectations they are ridiculously high in Laois, Laois have some very talented players but Micko was driven away and now Kearns.  Can't see any manager from outside the county applying for that post, maybe a internal appointment is exactly what Laois need though..

As an aside, since John Doran is no longer doing the fitness for Kildare we looked stronger and are free of injuries, Laois seem to have a lot of injuries this year, guess who was doing their fitness.....

yer one you have now Dinny, Julie Davis is very good at Strength and Conditioning.
as for Kearns
possible contender for the Meath job although i dont think hed get it.
probably Longford and Cavan Jobs aswell.

INDIANA

with the exodus of laois players to australia continuing, bad day allrolund for laois.if they lose o loughlin and kingston to oz they can pack it up.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2008, 07:00:13 PM
with the exodus of laois players to australia continuing, bad day allrolund for laois.if they lose o loughlin and kingston to oz they can pack it up.

O'Loughlin won't make it Down Under - not a hope.
Doesn't matter how many we lose though - we won't "pack it up"

Heshs Umpire

As regards senior expectations they are ridiculously high in Laois

How are they? We wouldn't be expecting anything more than a good run in Leinster each year and if we can win another one in the next few years we'll be very happy. After all we weren't exactly regular winners of it over the last 60 years.
Kearns may or may not have been driven away but his record over the last 2 years will see few mourning his departure. It probably will as you suggest be an internal appointment.
Sean Dempsey probably deserves a shot at it.

Bud Wiser

Laois should give the job to Dessie Brennan - if he would take it.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

The Real Laoislad

Rumours rife that the players had a meeting and decided they want Glenn Ryan to become Laois's new manager
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JMohan

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 07, 2008, 06:42:04 PM

yer one you have now Dinny, Julie Davis is very good at Strength and Conditioning.
as for Kearns
possible contender for the Meath job although i dont think hed get it.
probably Longford and Cavan Jobs aswell.

Eh ... ... that's not evryones opinion

thebandit

Is Julie Davis doing strength and conditioning for Kildare?

meathie

well dont think Meath anyway as noms are closed now and his name was not in the hat. may have to take a year out?...... :-\

Hardy

Do you know the names in the hat, Meathie? I've only heard Eamonn O'Brien and Seán Kelly.