Viva espana - new FIFA rankings

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 06, 2008, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: nifan on August 08, 2008, 02:14:38 PM
QuoteWhat matters is that he performs 100% for the country he declared for.

Absolutely.
We have had Dowie the same for ourselves. I dont for one second believe when he was a kid he was running round pretending to score the winning goal for NI, but he came and played for us 100% and now he also calls us we.
Im sure if he was talking about england in games he may say we also. I was of course delighted when we beat England and he wound up the "english" pundit wright.

Agree it's the commitment in the shirt which ultimately counts, and Cas and Dowie were both 100% in that respect.
However, Dowie is arguably slightly different in two respects.
First, he is the birth descendant of two parents who are both (afaik) from NI, unlike Cas, who was Irish by virtue of adoption, and then through one Irish parent only.
Second, having seen on TV Dowie's manic reaction after Healy popped in the winner against England, I cannot ever conceive of his referring to England as "we"!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 02:32:06 PM
Agree it's the commitment in the shirt which ultimately counts, and Cas and Dowie were both 100% in that respect.
However, Dowie is arguably slightly different in two respects.
First, he is the birth descendant of two parents who are both (afaik) from NI, unlike Cas, who was Irish by virtue of adoption, and then through one Irish parent only.
Second, having seen on TV Dowie's manic reaction after Healy popped in the winner against England, I cannot ever conceive of his referring to England as "we"!  ;)
Obviously what is coming through is your subjectivity and how can Cas consider himself Irish because he was only adopted by an irish woman?
Personally I find that to be quite derogativly sick.

On the other hand even if you do judge his Irish links to be tenuos then that would make his rock  solid commitment all the more remarkable when other players dripping in green couldn't be arsed.

nifan

Cas was legally allowed to play, and his mother - who im sure was as close as any mother - probably gave him more idea about what it is to be as any irish persons biological child would have.

We have had our own children of one irish person, and granchildren as well.

The whole cas thing gets a bit dull - he played for ireland and was allowed to do so.

Main Street

Dowie is similar to Cas, except Dowie is dedicated to being a part of the game, a very goad coach.
He would do a good job with the NI team

nifan

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 02:49:03 PM
Dowie is similar to Cas, except Dowie is dedicated to being a part of the game, a very goad coach.
He would do a good job with the NI team

I think he is currently more ambitious for club football to be honest - the premiership is certainly the dream, for any younger coach at least.
I hope that perhaps one day he might want the job.

Chrisowc

Quote from: nifan on August 08, 2008, 02:14:38 PM
QuoteWhat matters is that he performs 100% for the country he declared for.

Absolutely.
We have had Dowie the same for ourselves. I dont for one second believe when he was a kid he was running round pretending to score the winning goal for NI, but he came and played for us 100% and now he also calls us we.
Im sure if he was talking about england in games he may say we also. I was of course delighted when we beat England and he wound up the "english" pundit wright.

I heard Dowie on 5 live once stating that the proudest moment in his career was when he became the first Ulsterman to score a goal at Lansdowne Road.

Super Danny Griffin was the last one  ;)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 02:42:57 PM
Obviously what is coming through is your subjectivity and how can Cas consider himself Irish because he was only adopted by an irish woman?
Personally I find that to be quite derogativly sick.
I was not questioning Cas's right to consider himself Irish; I had hoped the clue was in comments like "Of course Cascarino can comfortably accommodate more than one Nationality, no-one is objecting to that" or "I'm sure Cas doesn't need my "permission" to refer to both ROI and England as "his" team, or "we", nor do I have any difficulty with whatever his choice is".
Rather I was contrasting him with another English-born international, Dowie who, unlike Cas, only ever refers to the NI team as "we", never England (afaik). From there, I speculated that perhaps this is because of their different personal circumstances. That's all, really.
Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 02:42:57 PM
On the other hand even if you do judge his Irish links to be tenuos then that would make his rock  solid commitment all the more remarkable when other players dripping in green couldn't be arsed.
Indeed - a fair point which hadn't really occurred to me.

Now for the third time, any chance of your getting back to the Ray Houghton = Scottish Nationality conundrum which I addressed to you earlier?  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

thewingedlady

Lads, was one of the big reasons that Cascarino's book was a big success was because he revealed in it that he actually wasn't eligible to play for Ireland? Did the FAI not rescind his caps?

nifan

thewingedlady - i think he was qualified to play. the "revelation" was incorrect, but may have shifted a few books

thewingedlady

A few great books, one of the best sports autoboigraphies i've read, thought it was fantastic.

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 03:04:46 PM
Now for the third time, any chance of your getting back to the Ray Houghton = Scottish Nationality conundrum which I addressed to you earlier?  ::)
???
That equation and conundrum is in your head.
Do you think I have the time to be yapping on any subject of your choosing to suit your agenda ?
The answer is no

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 04:11:47 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 03:04:46 PM
???
That equation and conundrum is in your head.
Do you think I have the time to be yapping on any subject of your choosing to suit your agenda ?
The answer is no

It is not MY agenda. YOU have made the case that NI is not a country - fair enough. Yet YOU have also asserted that Glasgow-born Ray Houghton has "Scottish Nationality". Does this mean you consider Scotland to be a nation (or country)? If so, how is it different from NI? After all, both are equally, along with Wales and England, constituent parts of the UK.

Oh and don't give me this guff about not having time to reply - with nearly 2,000 posts to date, including 14 today alone, with the first of these being at 03.28 am this morning(!), I'd have thought it's not time you're lacking, just some means - even in a half-assed kind of way - of explaining your inconsistency...

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 05:27:27 PM
Yet YOU have also asserted that Glasgow-born Ray Houghton has "Scottish Nationality".
I did not

QuoteOh and don't give me this guff about not having time to reply - with nearly 2,000 posts to date, including 14 today alone, with the first of these being at 03.28 am this morning(!), I'd have thought it's not time you're lacking, just some means - even in a half-assed kind of way - of explaining your inconsistency...
Rantings of an ignored OWC stalker.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 05:45:15 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 05:27:27 PM
Yet YOU have also asserted that Glasgow-born Ray Houghton has "Scottish Nationality".
I did not

Here is what you posted earlier:
"Cas is a dual national...      ...Same as Ray Houghton, he is a Scot as well as irish. He is equally proud of both."
Explanation?

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 05:45:15 PM
QuoteOh and don't give me this guff about not having time to reply - with nearly 2,000 posts to date, including 14 today alone, with the first of these being at 03.28 am this morning(!), I'd have thought it's not time you're lacking, just some means - even in a half-assed kind of way - of explaining your inconsistency...
Rantings of an ignored OWC stalker.
A simple answer to a simple question is all this "stalker" requires, rather than evasiveness, deflection and petty name-calling. That's if you've time... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 06:07:29 PM
Here is what you posted earlier:
"Cas is a dual national...      ...Same as Ray Houghton, he is a Scot as well as irish. He is equally proud of both."
Explanation?
???
WTF are you on about?
Ray = Scot   = born and raised in Scotland,  thats how I have heard him describe himself.
I have no reason to doubt it as it is a matter of record.
He is of Irish descent therefore he qualified to be an Irish national
He is proud of both.
I have heard him use the  "we" word in reference to Scotland and in reference to Ireland.
Which is the total relevance of what I wrote in relation to the use of the "we" word by dual nationals.
Cas  =  English,  born in England,  acquired Irish nationality, uses  "we" in reference to England and "we" in reference to Ireland.

Obvious to all, except an obsessive stalker who even needed it spelled out that an Irish parent by adoption is just as ethnically real for a lad as an Irish parent by birth.