Viva espana - new FIFA rankings

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 06, 2008, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: nifan on August 08, 2008, 09:25:14 AM
That fecker alan greene talks about "we" as well.

I met him before the england game at windsor and asked him who he was supporting - he said "straight down the middle".

Hmmm, I'd be more tolerant of Terry than Alan Greene alright. Maybe it's the dry cynicism, or the fact that he keeps that smug fecker Chris Moyles secodn in the ratings!

Chrisowc

Quote from: gallsman on August 08, 2008, 08:43:12 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on August 08, 2008, 04:50:41 AM
....and when he had his Talksport 'drive time' slot he talked endlessly about England as 'we'.

Aye, but so does Terry Wogan during Eurovision and you surely ye wouldn't want to claim him now, would you?! (Not implying that you or other generic OWCers consider themselves English)

Sir Terry Wogan?  ;)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Chrisowc

I met him before the england game at windsor and asked him who he was supporting - he said "straight down the middle".

Surely as a BBC commentator it is his job to be impartial in such matters ::)

Seriously, England can have him and he hasn't represented Northern Ireland at anything.

nifan

BBC never made its other pundits impartial. And giving an impartial view doesnt mean you cant support one of the teams.

Chrisowc

Quote from: nifan on August 08, 2008, 10:32:33 AM
BBC never made its other pundits impartial. And giving an impartial view doesnt mean you cant support one of the teams.

It was a joke.

nifan

Sorry - i took the rolly eyes in the wrong manner :P

Main Street

....and when he had his Talksport 'drive time' slot he talked endlessly about England as 'we'.
So you listen to Talkshite  ;D

Cas is a dual national.
I would not expect him to wipe out his English identity with the acquisition of Irish Nationality, I doubt that he that insecure.
Same as Ray Houghton, he is a Scot as well as irish. He is equally proud of both.
That's the bit that the sneer tribe in the OWC don't get, the concept of the dual national.

nifan

Chris, id give it up - id say there are a few NI internationslas who would refer to "we" about england as well.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 12:05:26 PM

Only to listen to numpties like Cas and Houghton ;)

Evil Genius

Cas is a dual national.
I would not expect him to wipe out his English identity with the acquisition of Irish Nationality, I doubt that he that insecure.

Of course Cascarino can comfortably accommodate more than one Nationality, no-one is objecting to that. It's just that after 88 caps, I'd have thought that in the context of international football, he'd have reserved his use of "we" for the ROI team, not the England team, whom he has never represented at any level.
Same as Ray Houghton, he is a Scot as well as irish. He is equally proud of both.
If Houghton has Scottish "nationality" as well as Irish, are you implying that Scotland is a country (nation)?

It doesn't bother me whether you consider it to be so, except that in the Radar McElduff thread you repeatedly asserted that "NI is not a country".

Therefore, please tell me how Scotland (or Wales or England, for that matter) is substantially different from NI in its ability to confer "nationality" on the basis of its status as a country? After all, Scotland and NI are both equally* consituent members of the United Kingdom...

That's the bit that the sneer tribe in the OWC don't get, the concept of the dual national.
Speaking for myself, I have absolutely no problem with the concept of dual nationality. I presently only have British (UK) Nationality, but I can see where circumstances might cause me to want to assert another Nationality which was open to me. Yep, that's right - even Irish Nationality!

However, i suspect you have difficulty in understanding the concept of a Union i.e. where someone like me can be Northern Irish by birth and British ("United Kingdomish" if it makes it easier for you) by virtue of NI being part of the Union of GB & NI. However, I am not and never will be Scottish (despite my ancestry), Welsh or (Heaven Forbid) English, even though they can all choose to be British like me.

P.S. As well as being Northern Irish and British, I am also "European", by virtue of the UK being a member of the European Union (Oops! There's that word again). Just as someone can be e.g. Greek and European, French and European or even, ahem, Irish and European...

* - I say "equally", except that the Jocks don't get the same name-recognition in "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" as our wee Country!  :D
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

An Fear Rua

Id have been more impressed if you had smacked the odious **** in the mouth
Its Grim up North

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 01:38:18 PM
Of course Cascarino can comfortably accommodate more than one Nationality, no-one is objecting to that. It's just that after 88 caps, I'd have thought that in the context of international football, he'd have reserved his use of "we" for the ROI team, not the England team, whom he has never represented at any level.

Obviously you have surmised wrong,  that even in the context of international football Cas can use the word  "we" when referring to England and "we" when referring to Ireland and he can feel comfortable with that.
And he is on record as saying that undoubtedly greatest goal of his career was scored against England at Lansdowne rd.
What matters is that he performs 100% for the country he declared for. Without doubt Cas has done that, in a time other players retire early for club careers Cas continued to soldier on for the Republic carrying his injuries until a ripe old age. Leaving his cosy villa to trapse solo around the world to catch up with the squad and play up front for Ireland. He was dedicated to representation beyond the call of duty for little or no financial reward. We were desperate short up front and Cas didn't hesitate to turn up.  

nifan

Quote from: An Fear Rua on August 08, 2008, 02:07:46 PM

Id have been more impressed if you had smacked the odious c**t in the mouth

I dont like violence  :P and he had terry butcher with him.

We did give him a bit of abuse though.
Graham taylor was there too - and i have to say he was very dead on. He asked how we thought wed do and i said if he was in charge still id be worried, but with sven there we would win.

nifan

QuoteWhat matters is that he performs 100% for the country he declared for.

Absolutely.
We have had Dowie the same for ourselves. I dont for one second believe when he was a kid he was running round pretending to score the winning goal for NI, but he came and played for us 100% and now he also calls us we.
Im sure if he was talking about england in games he may say we also. I was of course delighted when we beat England and he wound up the "english" pundit wright.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2008, 02:09:39 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 08, 2008, 01:38:18 PM

Obviously you have surmised wrong,  that even in the context of international football Cas can use the word  "we" when referring to England and "we" when referring to Ireland and he can feel comfortable with that.
And he is on record as saying that undoubtedly greatest goal of his career was scored against England at Lansdowne rd.
What matters is that he performs 100% for the country he declared for. Without doubt Cas has done that, in a time other players retire early for club careers Cas continued to soldier on for the Republic carrying his injuries until a ripe old age. Leaving his cosy villa to trapse solo around the world to catch up with the squad and play up front for Ireland. He was dedicated to representation beyond the call of duty for little or no financial reward. We were desperate short up front and Cas didn't hesitate to turn up.  

I'm sure Cas doesn't need my "permission" to refer to both ROI and England as "his" team, or "we", nor do I have any difficulty with whatever his choice is. And though I'd be mildly curious in what term he would use for which team were he to be commentating on an England v ROI match  ;), frankly, it's hardly terribly important - as you say, it's his commitment when he pulls on the shirt which counts most.

Besides, I am much more interested in your expanation of the Ray Houghton/Scottish Nationality conundrum, which I posed in the same post and which you somehow omitted to address... ::)

(I'll leave the concept of the Union to another day, if you prefer)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"