The Official Olympics Thread (with the consent of the Chinese Gov.)

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, August 05, 2008, 11:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

not  alot you can say after that except holy feck!!!!

wonder how much he can charge for advertising now?? seems a bit of a nutter
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stevo-08

Quote from: Minder on August 16, 2008, 03:41:28 PM
would be very surprised if he does not break Johnsons 200m world record

probably right. only question is whether he runs the last 100m faster than johnson's 9.2secs.

the colonel

that was cat. man is a freak. he could easily smash that again. he should dominate again 2012, but wat is the shelf life of a sprinter?

would him and phelps (age 23 i think) make 2016 as well as 2012?
the difference between success and failure is energy

JimStynes

I cant believe what I just seen, that man is a freak. I feel privileged to have witnessed that race live. Its scary to think what he could have done if he hadn't started celebrating with 15metres to go.

I was sitting in awe watching phelps win all his golds but the 100m has been the moment of the Olympics for me.

muppet

Quote from: the colonel on August 16, 2008, 04:10:58 PM
that was cat. man is a freak. he could easily smash that again. he should dominate again 2012, but wat is the shelf life of a sprinter?

Colonel swimmers peak younger than sprinters, with the very notable exception of one Irish swimmer. Phelps probably wont make 2012 and definately wont be around in 2016.

Bolt should be running into his thirties, look at Linford Christie.

Trivia question: Who is the only man who started the 1988 100m final never to have failed a dope test? 
MWWSI 2017

Minder

The only thing that will stop Bolt is injuries,in fairness because of the explosive nature of sprinting injuries are never too far away
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Down Gael

Quote from: muppet on August 16, 2008, 04:46:55 PM
Trivia question: Who is the only man who started the 1988 100m final never to have failed a dope test? 

Carl Lewis failed a dope test but was subsequently cleared.

muppet

Quote from: Down Gael on August 16, 2008, 04:52:44 PM

Carl Lewis failed a dope test but was subsequently cleared.

But he still failed a dope test. (I wont even go into these claims  http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172707806.html )
MWWSI 2017

stevo-08

Quote from: the colonel on August 16, 2008, 04:10:58 PM

Colonel swimmers peak younger than sprinters, with the very notable exception of one Irish swimmer. Phelps probably wont make 2012 and definately wont be around in 2016.

Bolt should be running into his thirties, look at Linford Christie.

Calvin Smith????

muppet

Correct. Former world record holder and the only man in the race who didn't look like a weightlifter.
MWWSI 2017

Uladh

How long has bolt got?

Johnson had 12 hours.

the biggets problem with is athletics is how far behind the chemists the testers are....

muppet

It seems unfair that Bolt can only realistically go for 3 golds while Phelps can go for 8.

They should introduce new disciplines such as the backwards 100m and the 100m holding your hands up in the air. Each of these events would also have relays to give even more medal chances.

Whadda y'all think?
MWWSI 2017

TacadoirArdMhacha

In fairness Uladh he was World Junior champion at 15. Unless your claiming he was taking drugs as a kid, he's always been a bit special.

QuoteIt seems unfair that Bolt can only realistically go for 3 golds while Phelps can go for 8.

Pundits were saying today that he'd probably be well up there in the 400m as well. If the races were well enough spaced out, he could go for 5 in theory.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Uladh

not a chance in hell.

The reasons for the us sprint team's hatred of bolt and his teammates is well known

Down Gael

Paddy Barnes through to the quarter finals.
Darren Sutherland through to last 16.