Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 03, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2008, 05:30:09 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 15, 2008, 04:13:24 PM

On the surface though, we're gonna bring the Union Jack-waving late-comers down a peg or two with a 5-point masterclass.

Sure we only wave those to make you feel at home.

tyssam5

Quote from: gerry on August 15, 2008, 08:30:03 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on August 15, 2008, 08:14:23 AM
I can see Tommy scoreing 5 off the the left foot 5 off the right foot and 1 with the fist.

will he dad knew how to do it, hopefully a bit has rubbed of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07it4_evog

A few forwards around the country could learn a thing or two from watching Frank after scoring points. They wouldn't be fit to lace his boots and they'd be pulling at jersey crests, roaring at opponents, saluting the crowd. Whatever happened to a bit of humility.

uhearditherefirst

Is anyone 100 per cent sure that there aint going to be a suprise inclusion tomorrow.  This rumour just won't go away.  :-\

ONeill

Just finished the first game from 05. Hell of an event. O'Neill actually had an average day that day. He hit 8 wides, albeit scoring 2 clinkers from play. Key performers were McGinley, Gormley, Cavanagh and Dooher. Devlin was huffing and puffing, way off the pace. Lawn made 2 timely interceptions. For the Dubs, Keaney, Mossey and Whelan stood out. If Brogan had stayed on....I think we may never have witnessed the great semi v Armagh.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cadhlancian

Quote from: T Fearon on August 15, 2008, 03:47:45 PM
Shane, I remember the game in 2005 well. I didn't think Tyrone would cope with the Dubs after being vanquished by a superior Armagh team in the Ulster Final then riding their luck against Monaghan. The Dubs were all over them in the first half, the hill was buoyant at half time, and I feared ( or hoped for ;D) the worst. Stamper Devlin was replaced at half time ( and has never been heard of since) then Mulligan (who was having an absolutely crap game up to then and in fact Tyronies beside me were baying for him to be replaced) scored that goal and the rest is history.
the same superior armagh team that trailed by 3 points with 14 mins left, and then tyrone had Peter and Stevie sent off ( sure what difference would that have made?). Fact is, without the backdoor, that would have been the biggest shafting any team had ever gotten, had they been eliminated that day. Also Mr Belfast telegraph, that tyrone team was one of the greatest teams of the last 25 years :-*

cadhlancian

Quote from: gerry on August 15, 2008, 06:58:29 PM
just back from o'neills in strabane with a new t shirt and car flag, need to get a few tinnies for the road down tomorrow and i'll be set.
fair play to ya Gerry!!!

stibhan

Quote from: T Fearon on August 15, 2008, 03:47:45 PM
Shane, I remember the game in 2005 well. I didn't think Tyrone would cope with the Dubs after being vanquished by a superior Armagh team in the Ulster Final then riding their luck against Monaghan. The Dubs were all over them in the first half, the hill was buoyant at half time, and I feared ( or hoped for ;D) the worst. Stamper Devlin was replaced at half time ( and has never been heard of since) then Mulligan (who was having an absolutely crap game up to then and in fact Tyronies beside me were baying for him to be replaced) scored that goal and the rest is history.

Armagh's team over the two Ulster Finals was in no way better: Stephen O'Neill and Peter Canavan getting sent off on the basis of absolutely nothing proved this. Without someone you'd have a hard time saying the best forward that Ireland has ever seen and someone who was the best forward in Ireland given his form coming into that match, as well as a numerical disadvantage in the wide-open of Croke Park, Tyrone had no chance. I was always confident that the kn**ker's Champions would find Tyrone's meticulousness in defence and their virtuosity up front too much, even if it took Mickey one or two subs to get the right mix. Bear in mind Tyrone should have won the first game against Dublin had Stevie not missed a good chance after one of the best passes (if not the best) I've ever seen reversed from the boot of Canavan the Great into his path.

Tyrone to win tomorrow... gutsy, not pretty, but victorious.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fact is: Tír Eoghain have not scaled the heights, so far, this season of the Donegal game in the Ulster Final last year... tomorrow, amárach, mañana, demain, domani,  tomorrow... nailed on certainty!

The Kerry referee will return to Tralee a hero once again: either one despised team loses, or no despised team wins (draw); he's on to a guaranteed winner  ;) The Kerry buachaillí at work are split: one making an exception for the only opponents of Dublin's that he could actually hope would lose, and the other a true gent who would lilke to see the Dubs thrashed  :D

Quote from: gerry on August 15, 2008, 06:58:29 PM
just back from o'neills in strabane with a new t shirt and car flag, need to get a few tinnies for the road down tomorrow and i'll be set.

Good man gerry, I'll have a jar waiting for you the next time you're passing by our way.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Anyone read the GL today? It is almost completely devoted to the game. Some astonishing reviews. One which stands out above all is one from, I think, Ciaran Loughran. He claims Cavanagh is in FF because he's not a team player - he has tunnel vision and when in possession does not see better options. Brolly reckons this is Dublin's worst nightmare but should win. McGrath gives Tyrone no chance at all as does McGourty and everyone else.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Aye Shane, read it. Couldn't believe the devotion to the game, with copious pieces from past greats, and great to see, and ones from Charlie Redmond and Dessie GPA himself too  ;) Not to mention Dave Billings, though my stomach stuggled at times with that one.

Have to say though, the Dubs seem decidedly more subdued before this one than they have been for many a day (and not just on this board).

ONeill

PREDICTION TIME

DUBLIN 1-13
TYRONE 0-13

Coddle

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2008, 10:55:46 PM
PREDICTION TIME

DUBLIN 1-13
TYRONE 0-13

You may as well dream here as in bed.

omagh_gael

Tyrone 1-10
Dublin  1-9
Mugsy to come on las 25 mins an bag 1-2 to haul Tyrone thro another classic contest, COME ON TYRONE!  

In the Onion Bag

OK O'Neill.  No more sitting on the fence here's my prediction.

Dublin by 6 having lead the whole way but having to deal with a late determined Tyrone comeback which falters in the final few minutes when Dublin get the sealing goal.  A good game I hope.

Fear ón Srath Bán