Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 03, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

It's sad to see Tyrone boys struggling to find reasons for optimism that defines superstitious behaviour (stubble).
Now the ultimate harbringer for a lost cause - the belief in a third coming on the eve of armageddon.

Use to be that Tyrone had confidence in football ability and workrate.
I do hope that Ulster GAA is not given another humiliating defeat and that Tyrone can stand afterwards with their pride intact alongside the Monaghan men.
But with all the excuses thrown into the pot before the thread was even 2 pages long, it looks very good for the Dubs.

Fuzzman

Eh? SON? Who's son?

I meant....

O'Neill are you training for the Marathon or something?

Quote from: Puckoon on August 15, 2008, 02:43:00 PM
What you talking about fuzzman - lynette hughes will be wearing number 31 tomorrow!! Where did SON come out of?

Oneill, you must want to run naked somewhere, anywhere this year.

his holiness nb

severe weather warning just issued for the weekend. Worst around Dublin tomorrow with flooding expected.

Bring the wellys and macs folks!
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: Buttofthehill on August 15, 2008, 02:45:51 PM
If you could pick one, Henry or McMenamin in your team?

Great question, can I have both?

Dont get me wrong, I do think he is an excellent player, just gets involved in some off the ball verbals and more a bit too often.

As they say, he may be a bollox, but he's our bollox!
Ask me holy bollix

Zapatista

I'm not going if it's going to rain :(

lynchbhoy

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 15, 2008, 03:35:23 PM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on August 15, 2008, 02:45:51 PM
If you could pick one, Henry or McMenamin in your team?
Great question, can I have both?
Dont get me wrong, I do think he is an excellent player, just gets involved in some off the ball verbals and more a bit too often.
As they say, he may be a bollox, but he's our bollox!
I'd pick O'Shaughnessey and Griffin before Henry !
Then again I'd have a half back line of Brennan Cahill and either P. Brogan or someone else whose name escapes me when I was picking my own dublin team the other day. HF Lally Cullen Brogan , FF Brogan Vaughan and S Ryan (3rd MF).

T Fearon

Shane, I remember the game in 2005 well. I didn't think Tyrone would cope with the Dubs after being vanquished by a superior Armagh team in the Ulster Final then riding their luck against Monaghan. The Dubs were all over them in the first half, the hill was buoyant at half time, and I feared ( or hoped for ;D) the worst. Stamper Devlin was replaced at half time ( and has never been heard of since) then Mulligan (who was having an absolutely crap game up to then and in fact Tyronies beside me were baying for him to be replaced) scored that goal and the rest is history.

Fuzzman

Right lads I've had enuf today and am leaving now at 4pm

May the best team win as long as they were red & white and I hope its not a washout though I'll be high up in the Cusack

I predict a Riot and then a Draw with Mugsy scoring the equalising goal

Enjoy it one and all and remember its only a game.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: T Fearon on August 15, 2008, 03:47:45 PM
Shane, I remember the game in 2005 well. I didn't think Tyrone would cope with the Dubs after being vanquished by a superior Armagh team in the Ulster Final then riding their luck against Monaghan.

Well thats one take on it ;D ;D.

Have to say Im a bit tired of the cliched talk of Tyrone trying to spoil the game or keep it tight to have any chance. Yes Tyrone in recent years have brought men back to defend (and sent men forward to attack which is often forgotten, it was always as much a blanket attack as a blanket defence) but spoiling hasnt been the way and Tyrone have been involved in some of the classic games of this decade. Think the Ulster Final in 2003, the 2 National League Semis against Galway in 2004, the 2 Dublin games, Armagh and Kerry in 2005. Even last years Ulster Final was a very open exciting spectacle. Thing is all that doesnt suit the whole 'Ulster Football is evil please let us back to the mythical good old days of Kerry - Dublin' stuff which is all over the board at the minute.

Anyway the game itself and I believe Tyrone's downfall will be the lack of scoring potential in the forwards. I think that over the 2 matches in 2005 O' Neill and Mulligan contributed 3-15 of Tyrone's overall tally. O'Neill is gone and Mulligan has played 2 minutes for Tyrone since March. The lads who have come in are good footballers but do they have it in them to reach that kind of level? Being honest the answer is no. Dublin are beatable no question but I fear Tyrone arent strong enough right now to do it - it would really take a big performance pretty much out of nowhere (like Donegal last year) and there is little grounds for believing that will happen. Dublin 1-13 Tyrone 0-11.

orangeman

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 15, 2008, 04:13:24 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 15, 2008, 03:47:45 PM
Shane, I remember the game in 2005 well. I didn't think Tyrone would cope with the Dubs after being vanquished by a superior Armagh team in the Ulster Final then riding their luck against Monaghan.

Well thats one take on it ;D ;D.

Have to say Im a bit tired of the cliched talk of Tyrone trying to spoil the game or keep it tight to have any chance. Yes Tyrone in recent years have brought men back to defend (and sent men forward to attack which is often forgotten, it was always as much a blanket attack as a blanket defence) but spoiling hasnt been the way and Tyrone have been involved in some of the classic games of this decade. Think the Ulster Final in 2003, the 2 National League Semis against Galway in 2004, the 2 Dublin games, Armagh and Kerry in 2005. Even last years Ulster Final was a very open exciting spectacle. Thing is all that doesnt suit the whole 'Ulster Football is evil please let us back to the mythical good old days of Kerry - Dublin' stuff which is all over the board at the minute.

Anyway the game itself and I believe Tyrone's downfall will be the lack of scoring potential in the forwards. I think that over the 2 matches in 2005 O' Neill and Mulligan contributed 3-15 of Tyrone's overall tally. O'Neill is gone and Mulligan has played 2 minutes for Tyrone since March. The lads who have come in are good footballers but do they have it in them to reach that kind of level? Being honest the answer is no. Dublin are beatable no question but I fear Tyrone arent strong enough right now to do it - it would really take a big performance pretty much out of nowhere (like Donegal last year) and there is little grounds for believing that will happen. Dublin 1-13 Tyrone 0-11.
[/b][/i]

A touch of reality at last.

ziggysego

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 15, 2008, 03:31:34 PM
severe weather warning just issued for the weekend. Worst around Dublin tomorrow with flooding expected.

Bring the wellys and macs folks!

Testing Accessibility

orangeman

Shit ! Throwing the wheelchair out with the rain water.  ;) ;)

ONeill

The lads who have come in are good footballers but do they have it in them to reach that kind of level? Being honest the answer is no. Dublin are beatable no question but I fear Tyrone arent strong enough right now to do it - it would really take a big performance pretty much out of nowhere (like Donegal last year) and there is little grounds for believing that will happen. Dublin 1-13 Tyrone 0-11.

Deep down I agree 100%. We're expecting a performance that has only been hinted at in 5-minute spurts. You cannot rule out that it will come from a side with 2 All-Irelands hanging off their boots but bookies are rarely wrong.

On the surface though, we're gonna bring the Union Jack-waving late-comers down a peg or two with a 5-point masterclass.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyrone86

Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2008, 05:30:09 PM
The lads who have come in are good footballers but do they have it in them to reach that kind of level? Being honest the answer is no. Dublin are beatable no question but I fear Tyrone arent strong enough right now to do it - it would really take a big performance pretty much out of nowhere (like Donegal last year) and there is little grounds for believing that will happen. Dublin 1-13 Tyrone 0-11.

Deep down I agree 100%. We're expecting a performance that has only been hinted at in 5-minute spurts. You cannot rule out that it will come from a side with 2 All-Irelands hanging off their boots but bookies are rarely wrong.

On the surface though, we're gonna bring the Union Jack-waving late-comers down a peg or two with a 5-point masterclass.

On paper, the Dubs should have it. They're fitter, they're stronger and they've more scoring potential in their forwards. The only questionable attribute is whether they've the stomach for it against a battle hardened team. The indiscipline of the league campaign is still simmering below the surface, and has the potential to explode when they're in a tight corner.The game will be won and lost in discipline.

gerry

just back from o'neills in strabane with a new t shirt and car flag, need to get a few tinnies for the road down tomorrow and i'll be set.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,