Tipp v Clare Munster u21 final

Started by magickingdom, July 30, 2008, 09:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairhead

Quote from: Franko on August 01, 2008, 10:17:34 AM
Quote from: Fairhead on July 31, 2008, 10:02:31 PM
"4.15 To take the puck-out from outside the small rectangle."

Obviously the key word in the above rule is "outside" but theres no further detail on that as far as i can see in the rules. However if we look at another aspect of hurling namely the ball, when it goes near an end line it is considered "outside" when the whole of the balll is over the line. Using that logic would lead me to conclude that if a keeper does not have both feet outside the square on a puck out then hes not "outside". From the tv replays the Clare keepers back foot was well inside the small rectangle so a wrong decision as far as im concerned.

If the GAA rules were more specific i dont think this debate would be happening today.

Fairhead. The rule is that the keeper cannot have his foot outside the small rectangle when he's pucking the ball out. It has been a rule in hurling for as long as I can remember and any inter-county goalkeeper will know this rule.  This year the referees have been given special instructions to start enforcing the rule as some goalkeepers are ripping the ass out of it a bit.  (Not that the clare keeper was doing this). Whilst I believe it was a terrible call by the umpire to enforce the rule at this time in such a close game, that is the rule and the keeper would have known this. (especially when he had been pulled up on it earlier on in the game).  I think you are clutching at straws with this one.

Where is it in the rules about the keeper cannot a foot outside the rectangle? Its certainly not in rule 4.15. As the last line of my entry above says if the GAA rules were more specific this debate would not be happening. Franko you say a keeper cannot have a foot outside the square, AZ is talking about the ball being outside the sqaure and i interpret it as both feet need to be outside the square; what does all that say? It says we have a vague one sentence rule in the rules of hurling which people have interpreted many ways and the umpires on Wednesday took it to the strictest level of adherence that i have ever seen. I believe they were incorrect and it has completely overshadowed what i thought was a really enjoyable game with some outstanding individual performaces, Callinan and McInerney to name just two.

Franko

Quote from: Fairhead on August 01, 2008, 11:51:26 PM

Obviously the key word in the above rule is "outside" but theres no further detail on that as far as i can see in the rules. However if we look at another aspect of hurling namely the ball, when it goes near an end line it is considered "outside" when the whole of the balll is over the line. Using that logic would lead me to conclude that if a keeper does not have both feet outside the square on a puck out then hes not "outside". From the tv replays the Clare keepers back foot was well inside the small rectangle so a wrong decision as far as im concerned.

If the GAA rules were more specific i dont think this debate would be happening today.

Fairhead. The rule is that the keeper cannot have his foot outside the small rectangle when he's pucking the ball out. It has been a rule in hurling for as long as I can remember and any inter-county goalkeeper will know this rule.  This year the referees have been given special instructions to start enforcing the rule as some goalkeepers are ripping the ass out of it a bit.  (Not that the clare keeper was doing this). Whilst I believe it was a terrible call by the umpire to enforce the rule at this time in such a close game, that is the rule and the keeper would have known this. (especially when he had been pulled up on it earlier on in the game).  I think you are clutching at straws with this one.

Where is it in the rules about the keeper cannot a foot outside the rectangle? Its certainly not in rule 4.15. As the last line of my entry above says if the GAA rules were more specific this debate would not be happening. Franko you say a keeper cannot have a foot outside the square, AZ is talking about the ball being outside the sqaure and i interpret it as both feet need to be outside the square; what does all that say? It says we have a vague one sentence rule in the rules of hurling which people have interpreted many ways and the umpires on Wednesday took it to the strictest level of adherence that i have ever seen. I believe they were incorrect and it has completely overshadowed what i thought was a really enjoyable game with some outstanding individual performaces, Callinan and McInerney to name just two.

Ok. It is not specific that the goalkeepers foot should not be outside the small rectangle.  However, I can absolutely guarantee that your goalkeeper will have known that he is not allowed to have his foot outside the small square when taking the puck out.  For gods sake he was warned about it earlier in the game if he didnt. This may not be stated specifically in the rule book but if you actually read the book there are hundreds more rules which fall into this category.  An intercounty goalkeeper will know where the boundaries are regarding this.  If not he is the most ill-informed goalkeeper i've ever heard of.  A junior b keeper could tell you this.  To say that the wording of the rule is to blame for this fiasco is simply incorrect.

timmykelleher

Nearly every 65 and sideline is taken from a foot or so from the line.
Why aren't these all blown up?

Why suddenly start implementing a rule like this in the chamoionship?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Franko

By the way, I dont agree with the decision to enforce the rule! My point is that it is a rule and as such, the officials have every right to enforce it.  I would imagine that the reason that a bit of le-way is given on frees and sideline pucks is to allow the player a bit of freedom to find a decent spot of grass to set the ball on.

didlyi

Enforcing a rule is one thing. Waiting for over a minute of play before implemetning a rule is another. I dread to think what would have happened had Clare scrored in that minute. What would the ref have done then? The fact that the ref failed to see the umpire has got little focus in this whole debate. Had the ref seen the umpire and given the free staight away Clare fans may not be as annoyed.

Franko

Quote from: didlyi on August 04, 2008, 11:39:55 AM
Enforcing a rule is one thing. Waiting for over a minute of play before implemetning a rule is another. I dread to think what would have happened had Clare scrored in that minute. What would the ref have done then? The fact that the ref failed to see the umpire has got little focus in this whole debate. Had the ref seen the umpire and given the free staight away Clare fans may not be as annoyed.

100% agree