Junior Football Championship

Started by Mickey Linden, July 28, 2008, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Seen the All Ireland Junior Football Championship was on on Sat in Portlaoise. What are the conditions for playing for a junior team? I dont think any Ulster counties have a team do they?

Rossfan

The All Ireland Junior Semi Finals are on Saturday next.
Cork v Louth in Portlaoise and of course

Ros Comáin v Lonndain in the Hyde.

I suspect we will make it 2 Finals in a row?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

FermGael

Fermanagh entered Connacht this year i think
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

KIDDO 4

Fermanagh were defeated in Connacht by Leitrim.

thewobbler

I've never understood the County JFC. Can someone expain how a player becomes eligible/ineligible to compete?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewobbler on August 07, 2009, 11:27:35 AM
I've never understood the County JFC. Can someone expain how a player becomes eligible/ineligible to compete?

I think the way it works is that your club has to be a junior club and you have not represented your county at a higher level.  For instance in Cork here there is very strong representation on the county secne from Junior and Intermediate clubs.  the likes of Canty, Noel O'Leary, Cussen, Alan Oconnor and Donnacha O'Connor play for junior or intermediate clubs.  If they had not made the cut for the senior squad this year they could have played for the relevant county level that their club plays at.

full back

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 07, 2009, 12:00:22 PM

I think the way it works is that your club has to be a junior club and you have not represented your county at a higher level.  For instance in Cork here there is very strong representation on the county secne from Junior and Intermediate clubs.  the likes of Canty, Noel O'Leary, Cussen, Alan Oconnor and Donnacha O'Connor play for junior or intermediate clubs.  If they had not made the cut for the senior squad this year they could have played for the relevant county level that their club plays at.

What do you mean bc?
If you have represented the county at Senior level does that not exclude you from playing junior level again or is it just for that year?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: full back on August 07, 2009, 12:02:58 PM

What do you mean bc?
If you have represented the county at Senior level does that not exclude you from playing junior level again or is it just for that year?

I think it is just for that year full back, but I am open to correction.  I know for instance there are players playing for Cork juniors who have represented the senior squad over the years, albeit not in the last 2-3 years.

full back

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 07, 2009, 12:30:28 PM
Quote from: full back on August 07, 2009, 12:02:58 PM

What do you mean bc?

I think it is just for that year full back, but I am open to correction.  I know for instance there are players playing for Cork juniors who have represented the senior squad over the years, albeit not in the last 2-3 years.

Any idea why Armagh dont have a Junior team bc?

T Fearon

Armagh were Ulster Junior Champions in 1985

Rois

Flip me, financially supporting one county football team is hard enough in Tyrone, imagine having two of them  :o

brokencrossbar1

That probably is right then Bingobus, in Cork it is only players who play Junior club football can play Junior county.

Full Back, I don't know and I think it is a shame as I reckon it would be a good way for brining players on.  Say for instance the like of Philly Loughran palyed a year or two Junior county to get himself fit for senior then he might have made it on a long term basis.

T Fearon

Back in the day, 70s 80s etc Junior County was effectively a Senior County B or reserve side

Rav67

Quote from: T Fearon on August 07, 2009, 01:59:08 PM
Back in the day, 70s 80s etc Junior County was effectively a Senior County B or reserve side

As Rois alluded to, the cost of a county team has increased to such a degree that it has put off Ulster counties at lease from spending money on a junior side.  It could potentially develop players for the county side, so could divisional sides but it hasn;t been tried in Ulster either.

Canalman

Afaik there are 2 different qualifyng criteria, depending on the size of the County

A Your 2nd team for "smaller" counties

B Lads who didn't play SFC the previous year (Dublin, Kerry, Meath, Cork and I think Kerry and Mayo).

For example a mate of mine from Roscommon was astounded they lost to Dublin last year...... seemingly their team was very strong.