Junior Football Championship

Started by Mickey Linden, July 28, 2008, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: Rav67 on August 07, 2009, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 07, 2009, 01:59:08 PM
Back in the day, 70s 80s etc Junior County was effectively a Senior County B or reserve side

As Rois alluded to, the cost of a county team has increased to such a degree that it has put off Ulster counties at lease from spending money on a junior side.  It could potentially develop players for the county side, so could divisional sides but it hasn;t been tried in Ulster either.

Correct or as bc alluded to get players who have gone off the boil back into contention for a place on the Senior team ala Philly Loughran

boojangles

Quote from: Canalman on August 07, 2009, 04:36:48 PM
Afaik there are 2 different qualifyng criteria, depending on the size of the County

A Your 2nd team for "smaller" counties

B Lads who didn't play SFC the previous year (Dublin, Kerry, Meath, Cork and I think Kerry and Mayo).

For example a mate of mine from Roscommon was astounded they lost to Dublin last year...... seemingly their team was very strong.
Thats more like it. Plenty of lads on Cavans Junior team this year had played Ulster Senior Championship.Defeats the purpose of having a Junior team if ya ask me but thats Cavan for ya.

Rossfan

Eligibility in bigger Counties is restricted to players from Junior/Inter Clubs who didnt play inter Co Senior Championship this or last year. ( Cork/Dublin/Meath/Galway/Mayo and ?????)
In trhe smaller Counties everyone is eligible except those who played Senior Inter Co Championship this or last year.
Ros have used it as more or less a development squad this year. In Carrick when we BET MAYO   ;D in the Connacht Final this year we had something like 11 or 12 lads who were 21 or younger on the panel. Mind you there were 8 or 9 more U21s on the Senior panel v Laythrum the same day.

Hopefully we can make the All Ireland Final in the grade to make up for blowing the Connacht Titles in U 21 and minor and of course blowing the chance of batin Kerry in Croke Pk also in the minor.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eastern_Pride

Is there a Junior B all-ireland?
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Rossfan

No .

Time to start heading for the Hyde.

carnaross

Different over here in England as, all counties except London, are deemed Junior so any and all players are elligible. The rules for London, apparently, state that any player is elligible, as long as he hasn't played Senior county or club in the last year. There's an article in this week's Irish World stating that the London manager is strengthening his squad with about 10 players not used for the British Championship!!

http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=8&Article_Id=10710

Any result?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: carnaross on August 09, 2009, 07:57:32 AM
Different over here in England as, all counties except London, are deemed Junior so any and all players are elligible. The rules for London, apparently, state that any player is elligible, as long as he hasn't played Senior county or club in the last year. There's an article in this week's Irish World stating that the London manager is strengthening his squad with about 10 players not used for the British Championship!!

http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=8&Article_Id=10710
Any result?

Ros 0-15 London 0-03

Rossfan

Ended up not going as we had to attend to a bit of a crisis. Listening to Willie and Donie means i will attend every County and Club match possible for the rest of my life ::)
Now for the final which I heard is fixed for Portlaoise on 22nd August.
It's our 3rd Final in 5 years so we'd better win this one.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on August 10, 2009, 09:08:10 PM
Ended up not going as we had to attend to a bit of a crisis. Listening to Willie and Donie means i will attend every County and Club match possible for the rest of my life ::)
Now for the final which I heard is fixed for Portlaoise on 22nd August.
It's our 3rd Final in 5 years so we'd better win this one.

That's also my intention!! Although it's not Willie and Donie who made me make that decision ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.