Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 27, 2008, 06:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Yes, what real criticism? Every eejit has opinions on selection etc but I've yet to hear anything out of the ordinary.

As for Davy Harte - he's an inter-county class player who puts in a serious amount of solid work - I think he's the villian of the moment and people are magnifying anything less than positive he does.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: furboot on July 31, 2008, 10:38:54 PM
see Mayo team not be named until saturday per http://www.clubmayo.ie/

bit of a balls that not a lot more we can say untill the team is picked what ever happened to the good auld A.N. Other
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AbbeySider

I got a few texts saying that on Newstalk they were saying that McDonald was back at training on Tuesday night.
I missed the show Off the Ball myself but is there any truth in it? Sounds like shite... 

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 01, 2008, 09:09:47 AM
bit of a balls that not a lot more we can say untill the team is picked what ever happened to the good auld A.N. Other

Duine Eile, old stock, Duine Eile.  ;)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 01, 2008, 09:16:56 AM
I got a few texts saying that on Newstalk they were saying that McDonald was back at training on Tuesday night.
I missed the show Off the Ball myself but is there any truth in it? Sounds like shite... 

No he definately isn't back in training With Mayo Abbeysider same rumours were out before the Galway Game,Its total shite
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

the Deel Rover

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 01, 2008, 09:19:11 AM

ceart go leor Icc   :)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

venter

Exactly, What are we suppose to gib about in the pub tonight, if there is no team that we can tear apart. I hope Johnno is playing mind games with Mickey Harte and not his own players!!

Cavanagh is a big boost for Tyrone. I hope we dont end up with T Cunniffe at full back. Why would would any sane manager expose him to that.

Fuzzman

Look lads I have nothing personal against Davey or how much effort he puts into his football

He definitely falls into the Dooher category(to a lesser extent) in that he's not the most talented we have, works his ass off, seems a sincere lad but all I and many others are saying is that he's OK but we have better on the bench or in other positions and when you're trying to win an AI there's no place for sentiment or letting relationships get in the way if someone isn't cutting the mustard.

Mickey seems happy enuf to be harsh with some squad players like Gourley & McGee but with others he's very slow to even take them off or drop them.

I will be watching on Sat not hoping Davey plays bad to prove my point as I want Tyrone to win but how many times have we said it this year especially
"Maybe Davey will step up this weekend and prove us all wrong".

I was very negative last weekend after we almost lost to Westmeath but the feel of Croker makes me believe we can beat this Mayo team for the first time in years (Or Ever?) in the championship.

I was a fan of Sean in at FF early in the year and of Penrose but I felt both were poor in the last 2 matches though maybe ball into them wasn't what it could have been.
I think Penrose needs to focus more on getting out in front 1st of all to get the ball in his hands as often he's thinking how am I gonna turn this guy even before he gets the ball.

Zapatista

I agree with your discription of Davey Fuzz. I just don't know if the reason he is still there is what we are assumeing. We said often that Michey won't drop Hub and when he eventually does drop him we move on to someone else he won't drop. We even said the same about Dooher but don't congratulate Harte for sticking with him in hindsight. I would like to see McCaul in instead of Davey.

rrhf

Dont see any attempt at improvements in the team, or new blood brought in for next year after 2 shaky enough games so going in to this game therefore we can say that this is the way Mickey wants this team.  No more excuses - hes had his opportunities to change or repick things.  As for the criticism bar one local rag I dont understand where these statements are coming from, I see county officialdom sticking up for Mickey in the I News as well.  Something ridiculous is going on and I can only assume is being corodinating by someone close to the Glencull maestro. My bet is hes protecting members of his team by insisting the criticsm is all directed at him, and again I must stress I havent noticed any real criticism at all from Tyrone fans, more a sense of hopelessness, sick to the teeth of the media circus, the injury excuse card wheeled out when required,  uninvolvement and a sense of detachment from the county cause - something which unfortunately our management is partially responsible for.  Im a lifelong Tyrone fan and a fan of Mickey Harte but  Mickey Harte will not, never tell me that I cant have my opinion especially when I think hes making mistakes.  I read his opinions on anything from boxing to Australian rules 5 days a week in the paper too some I agree with some I think are wrong - dosent matter.  
Anyway back to the football as thats all that counts on Saturday do I think this Tyrone 1 -15 are good enough to take Mayo on Saturday - a slightly pessimistic yes perhaps.  I reat Davy highly by the way but he just out of form at the moment - needs a break - he should have stared Mc caul for 1 game in his position.  Do I believe that better players are being overlooked that could improve tomorrow - without a shadow of a doubt.
Do I believe that Tyrone with the existing panel have as good a chance as any of the remaining teams of winning an All Ireland. Absolutely no excuses yes, the talent within the squad is there but getting the best out of that talent, picking the best men for the job, and being courageous and inventive with the decision making that is the role of the manager and Mickey you have that honour but with it comes the responsibility to give fair chance and opportunity and reward performances that improiive team potential.

2003 Nat League/ Ulster / AIchampions
2004 Ulster semi final /AIQuarterfinals beat by Mayo
2005 AIchampions
2006 beat by Laois in qualifiers
2007 beat by meath AIQF
2008 firts round exit - qualifiers ongoing

To me Tyrone have underachieved in many ways outside their 2 all ireland wins.  Outside the magnificent wins in 03 and  05 Tyrone have been struggled to make the top 8 teams in Ireland, injuries and all in thats unacceptable.    We need to establish a degree of consistency here, an acceptabl;e level of achievement in any given year,  I believe for the current managemen to have earned the right to take Tyrone another year Tyrone would need to be progressing to an All Ireland semi final at least in 08, for the first time in 3 years.  The current 1 - 15 is better positioned than the 95/96 team in terms of know how and experience which made a final and a semi final so that is my hope this year.   Roll on tomorrow and good luck to the team and management.  Lets bring a bit of pride back to Tyrone football after lasty years shambles V Meath and the year before V Laois.      

orangeman

Tyrone have never had it so good - we'll look back in to this decade and we'll say "God, those were the good old days" - 2 AIs is not a bad return - Armagh have won 7 Ulster but only one AI - Armagh would trade a lot of those Ulsters for another AI.

This Tyrone team have served us well - Mickey Harte and his various backroom teams have served us well - maybe it's time for a change - but Mickey has earned the right to decide to say when enough is enough ! We may have an opinion that's all we have.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: orangeman on August 01, 2008, 11:43:06 AM
Tyrone have never had it so good - we'll look back in to this decade and we'll say "God, those were the good old days" - 2 AIs is not a bad return - Armagh have won 7 Ulster but only one AI - Armagh would trade a lot of those Ulsters for another AI.

This Tyrone team have served us well - Mickey Harte and his various backroom teams have served us well - maybe it's time for a change - but Mickey has earned the right to decide to say when enough is enough ! We may have an opinion that's all we have.

For some reason Orangeman i allways thought you were from Armagh
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Fuzzman

You're right OM and like with the Rep Ireland team and Keane the boss is the boss and you have to let him make the decisions and respect that

I for one am NOT asking for Mickey to resign as he's probably still the best IC manager in the country

What I do think though is like Players having good and bad form so do Managers and so this is the right forum where we all discuss these issues and voice our opinions

On a totally different note.
I read after the last game that someone said Mickey went to talk to SON about a return at the school in Gortin
Was there any truth in that story?

Rois

But the last game was last week, why would SON be at school in July?

MacDanger

Quote from: venter on August 01, 2008, 09:52:01 AM

Exactly, What are we suppose to gib about in the pub tonight, if there is no team that we can tear apart.

I think Johnno should go for this, what exactly does he expect us to shite on about tonight over pints?? A complete fiasco