An Garda Siochana

Started by under the bar, July 25, 2008, 07:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

How long ago did the Garda drop the requirement for speaking Irish?

I've never seen Pillar Caffrey speak it on TG4 either so it must have been a while ago.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: under the bar on July 25, 2008, 07:40:24 PM
How long ago did the Garda drop the requirement for speaking Irish?

I've never seen Pillar Caffrey speak it on TG4 either so it must have been a while ago.

Its not that long ago,maybe a few years
But it was never a requirement to be able speak Irish,You just had to pass it in the Leaving Cert and in Templemore it was only the basic Irish that was needed and taught
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

Try speaking Gaelige to a Garda who stops you.....
One way ticket to a night in the cells.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dodo

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2008, 08:40:48 PM
Try speaking Gaelige to a Garda who stops you.....
One way ticket to a night in the cells.

Sounds like you have a story to tell us Rosstan !

Over the Bar

QuoteA couple of years ago, at Oxegen, I spoke Irish to one of those boyos. His reply was, "Are you looking a kick up the arse?"

I'd expect ye asked him to pog yer hone or the likes........

The Real Laoislad

I done all the stages needed to become a trainee Garda,I done and passed the aptitude test,The interview and the medical but i never really wanted to be one so i turned it down at the last minute
You'll Never Walk Alone.

dodo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 25, 2008, 11:23:14 PM
I done all the stages needed to become a trainee Garda,I done and passed the aptitude test,The interview and the medical but i never really wanted to be one so i turned it down at the last minute

Did you not think of all the Dubs you could be softening up down in the Bridewell as a guard ? !!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: dodo on July 25, 2008, 11:40:49 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 25, 2008, 11:23:14 PM

Did you not think of all the Dubs you could be softening up down in the Bridewell as a guard ? !!

I prefer to overcharge them as a Electrician  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Son_of_Sam

Don't slag off the Gardai they are fucken awsome when you have met the Victoria Police Force. Fckn lazy idiots.

pintsofguinness

LL
QuoteI done all the stages needed to become a trainee Garda,I done and passed the aptitude test,
Are standards that low?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Over the Bar

QuoteI've never seen Pillar Caffrey speak it on TG4 either so it must have been a while ago.

But it was never a requirement to be able speak Irish,You just had to pass it in the Leaving Cert and in Templemore it was only the basic Irish that was needed and taught

Now who'd have thought Pillar Caffery wasn't a gaeilgeoir??