IRISH NEWS STARMAN

Started by liv, July 25, 2008, 11:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liv

Hey I heard from a friend that no-one won the Irishnews Starman competition last week (Fermanagh v Armagh) - apparently no-one picked the correct starman! The prize is good and it seems that it is pretty easy to win -

http://www.irishnews.com/thechampionship/starman.asp

Check it out,

FERMANAGH FOR SAM

GOODLUCK :)

T Fearon

The only problem is that the Irish News eccentrically seems to pick a Man of the Match that no one else does.I mean who else would have picked Mc Elroy as Man of the Match last week? It was the same for the Armagh Down game, when Stephen Kernan was nominated as the Irish News Man of the Match yet he did little else only score the goal and a couple of points. If you want to win this competition steer clear of the "big names" and pick someone totally obscure

Sam Maguire

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2008, 12:49:34 PM
only score the goal and a couple of points

Not bad in a Ulster Semi Tony. Did you ever score 1-2 from play in an Ulster Semi-Final?

T Fearon

Still wasn't man of the match though, it was Clarkie (ie Ronan not John) by a mile. Stephen merely finished of an excellent move for the goal,whereas Clarkie scored a couple of cracking points and won the ball constantly. Outside of the three scores what else did Kernan do?

My question is, did anyone else bar the Irish News have Ciaran Mc Elro as their MOM last Sunday or Stephen Kernan as MOM in the Armagh Down semi final>

dodgyrightfoot

I left Clones with no doubt in my mind that Ciaran McElroy was man of the match, although watching back on tv I must say my opinion changed, but he must have done something right!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2008, 01:07:08 PM
Still wasn't man of the match though, it was Clarkie (ie Ronan not John) by a mile. Stephen merely finished of an excellent move for the goal,whereas Clarkie scored a couple of cracking points and won the ball constantly. Outside of the three scores what else did Kernan do?

My question is, did anyone else bar the Irish News have Ciaran Mc Elro as their MOM last Sunday or Stephen Kernan as MOM in the Armagh Down semi final>

reading you there Tony and you are implying that you actually know something about Gaelic football....now from reading your posts on gaelic football, I would suggest ye neither know if a ball is pumped or stuffed ;)

Sam Maguire

So Tony, just because Ronan Clarke is a bigger name than Stephen Kernan, that means his two points are better or more important than Kernans, yes?

Did Kernan not get the first score of the game to settle Armagh down and set them on their way, yes : no?

Kernan may not have been your man of the match but sure do you know anything about Gaelic Football anyway, you not a soccer man? Sure your only posting in this thread, which is on the GAA side of the board, because it involves a competition, a competition you didn't win and have sour grapes over, right?

sammymaguire

i can't see how this has anything to do with names and reputations, Kernan's contribution was decisive in that game and Ciaran McElroy spearheaded Fermanagh going forward along with Ryan McCluskey so fully deserved the accolade instead of McDonnell who picked off some lovely points with some soft defending against him...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

mhacadoir

liv are you just touring around all the sites? saw the same on orchardcounty

nrico2006

QuoteI left Clones with no doubt in my mind that Ciaran McElroy was man of the match, although watching back on tv I must say my opinion changed, but he must have done something right!

O'Rourke must have agreed with the Irish News too, thats why he took him off!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Erne Gael

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 25, 2008, 01:31:47 PM
QuoteI left Clones with no doubt in my mind that Ciaran McElroy was man of the match, although watching back on tv I must say my opinion changed, but he must have done something right!

O'Rourke must have agreed with the Irish News too, thats why he took him off!

I think McElroy was injured taking a shot towards the end and was down for a good wile getting treatment. I presume that caused O'Rourke to take him off.

dodgyrightfoot

Quote from: Erne Gael on July 25, 2008, 01:38:50 PM
I think McElroy was injured taking a shot towards the end and was down for a good wile getting treatment. I presume that caused O'Rourke to take him off.

Correct!

T Fearon

The point I'm trying to  make here is that the Irish News seems to go for off the wall choices as their Man of the Match, particularly since this prediction comp started. What other credible source, media or otherwise, cgose Kernan and Mc Elro in threse two matches (which is not to say that they didn't perform very well)?

As regards my GAA Credentials, I think a timely reminder is necessary

1.Sunday World National Finalist - Brains of the GAA in 2003

2. Part of the team that finished runners up in the Irish News GAA Quiz in 2005

3. Winner of Irish News All Stars Selection in 1998 and 1999

4. Winner of the GAA Croke Park Museum Essay Competition (and trip to LA) in 2001.

5. Irish News gaa Fantasy Comp (Armagh section) winner in 2000

6. Currently second in the Belfast Telegraph's Pick The Score Comp and very much in contention for the £3000 first prize

blasmere

Quote from: T Fearon on July 25, 2008, 03:08:13 PM
The point I'm trying to  make here is that the Irish News seems to go for off the wall choices as their Man of the Match, particularly since this prediction comp started. What other credible source, media or otherwise, cgose Kernan and Mc Elro in threse two matches (which is not to say that they didn't perform very well)?

As regards my GAA Credentials, I think a timely reminder is necessary

1.Sunday World National Finalist - Brains of the GAA in 2003

2. Part of the team that finished runners up in the Irish News GAA Quiz in 2005

3. Winner of Irish News All Stars Selection in 1998 and 1999

4. Winner of the GAA Croke Park Museum Essay Competition (and trip to LA) in 2001.

5. Irish News gaa Fantasy Comp (Armagh section) winner in 2000

6. Currently second in the Belfast Telegraph's Pick The Score Comp and very much in contention for the £3000 first prize

Why in the under name of God would an adult enter an essay competition? (Was it Like Rodney in Only Fools and Horses when Del entered him in a Corn Flakes competition and he had to pretend he was 14 when he won the prize  :D)

It sounds like something from Blue Peter.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

T Fearon

Er, it was sponsored by Aer Lingus and The Irish Times, Einstein, on the subject of a momentous event in the GAA's history, and the prize was a family trip (2 Adults and 2 Kids) to any Aer Lingus US Destination.

Any other of my triumphs/achievements you'd like clarification on?