Give me something to do

Started by The Claw, July 25, 2008, 10:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Basically the office is very quiet and I have long periods of time without any work. Is there anything productive that I can do during these periods. I'm sick of playing games and surfing the net. Any suggestions?

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: The Claw on July 25, 2008, 10:25:18 AM
Basically the office is very quiet and I have long periods of time without any work. Is there anything productive that I can do during these periods. I'm sick of playing games and surfing the net. Any suggestions?

if ye have balls...pack the job in and start yer own business....now i appreciate that this maybe bad timing in the current climate, but why dont ye get a business idea and start researching it and making plans so that you can take the jump when the climate is right.

Tankie

do up some stupid spreed sheets that take about 5 mins and give them to the boss next week and say when it was quite you took it upon yourself to compile this information. even if it is pointless they will think you are great for not sitting there all day doing nothing when really you were!

Extracts from Tankie's guide to getting ahead by doing as little as possible! - > publisher pending   ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

nifan

What do you work at? Long periods without work doesnt sound bad, but i  imagine the boredom hits pretty quickly!

Tony Baloney

Sounds like the Civil Service to me.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 25, 2008, 10:36:51 AM

I didnt know you worked in the civil service before Tony
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tankie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 25, 2008, 10:36:51 AM

if its the civil service i recommend that you just do nothing as you are just a waster anyway so why change  ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Claw

I'd prefer not to say what I work at but I'm a trainee, so you might be able to guess what i'm at, its not like i'm in a dead end job that I am not happy in, its just I'd like something productive to do during the quiet period.

THe Boss is out, is on holidays for the next week so I expect another quiet few days. The business idea isnt bad, might be worth a look, but is there any idiots guide to spread betting or the markets, or something of the sort?

AZOffaly

Make a first draft of a new GAA rule book. Include suspension guidelines and appeals process, with a further penalty for 'loophole' appeals.

Send the draft to N. Brennan. Uachtaran Cumann Luthchleas Gael, Pairc an Chrocaigh, Ath Cliath.

the Deel Rover

You could send o' neill a pm he will put you right ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

scud

Quote from: The Claw on July 25, 2008, 11:21:25 AM
I'd prefer not to say what I work at but I'm a trainee, so you might be able to guess what i'm at, its not like i'm in a dead end job that I am not happy in, its just I'd like something productive to do during the quiet period.

THe Boss is out, is on holidays for the next week so I expect another quiet few days. The business idea isnt bad, might be worth a look, but is there any idiots guide to spread betting or the markets, or something of the sort?

buy low, sell high! .....

or borrow shares, sell high, buy back low and then return said shares to lender and wolla! instant profit

repeat

stand for 5 mins and serve

Lar Naparka

Be creative and put your time to use with the least amount of disruption to your present routine.
I mean you obviously have a computer in front of you and you also have unsupervised access to the Internet. With those factors in mind, could you not use your time to do a bit of self-study of some sort?
Go look for something that might be a useful addition to your CV, either for promotion within your present company or that might enhance your prospects if you ever decide to change jobs.
Some years ago I too had regular periods of free time and unfettered Internet access. So I used my free time to study for MMI certification. (That's the Microsoft Office Master Instructor qualification.)
There are thousands of opportunities out there for self-improvement that can be studied without moving from your present desk.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

corn02

Watch the tranfer updater on skysports change...

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Agnes Dipesto

Count yourself lucky that you have some free time in your office deciding what to do.

I never get a minute in mine.