Waterford v Wexford

Started by GAA_Punter, July 22, 2008, 01:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Punter

Wexford hurlers are as bad as the footballers but have always done well against waterford in the league and the one time they played in 2003.

Any teams news ?

EddieMerx

Pretty harsh there considering they always have the misfortune of playing Kilkenny in Leinster and usualy again in the later stages of the All Ireland. I don't think Wexford are that far behind most other counties - they played Clare last weekend in a very competitive challenge in Clare (I think) and lost by only 2 points 1-22 to 1-20. I think this will be close and if Wexford can stop Waterford from scoring goals then they have a chance of sneaking it as Waterford don't seem to be racking up big point scores

dodo

Wexford boosted by return of Nolan and Lambert

SHC QUARTER-FINALS: WEXFORD MANAGER John Meyler has been boosted by the return of forwards Stephen Nolan and Barry Lambert ahead of next Sunday's All-Ireland SHC quarter-final against Waterford.

Lambert played the full hour of a 1-22 to 1-21 challenge match defeat against Clare in Templemore last Saturday morning while Nolan saw 10 minutes of action.

Lambert has not played for Wexford all year because of a groin injury but the problem has improved considerably in recent weeks following the intervention of a personal friend of Meyler's.

The manager explained: "An old college friend of mine from Gormanstown Richie Lanigan is a chiropractor based in London who is in Leixlip one day a week.

"Barry went to Richie who felt that surgery was the last option to cure the problem.

"Richie has dealt with many soccer players in England and believes that many of them undergo surgery too hastily."

Nolan's return from a broken thumb which has ruled him out for the last six weeks is another boost to Meyler, who confirmed the Faythe Harriers man will have some part to play against Waterford.

The bad news for Meyler is that full back Keith Rossiter, CiaráKenny, John O'Connor and MJ Furlong are out through injury.

Wexford will start as underdogs against a revitalised Waterford but Meyler is quietly confident that his team can build on an encouraging first-half display in the Leinster final defeat to Kilkenny.

He said: "I'd always be optimistic every time we go out. We try to improve all the time and after the Leinster final, where we played for the first half and five minutes into the second half, we want to take that level up from 40 minutes to 55 or 60.

"Some people said to me that they saw some of the best hurling from Wexford in 10 years and that gives us hope and confidence."

© 2008 The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0722/1216627320106.html

blasmere

I've just seen on Boylesports that Wexford are 4/1 to win this match. I think that is seriously good value, I don't rackon that Waterford are firing like they have done in previous seasons and Wexford tend to upset a Munster county every now and then, a la Tipp and Limerick in recent times.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

slow corner back

Wexford beat waterford in the league this year if that counts for anything. I saw wexford the next week against antrim and they were pitiful. Wexford are nothing if not inconsistent

Red Sea

If Wexford can stop Eoin Kelly they will win.. simple! John Mullane will not clock up d scores to win it and I'd say looking at Big Dan last saturday he thinks he's already retired or sumthing!! don't really care who wins im neutral on this.. but I think it's d deise by 4 or 5!

EddieMerx

The biggest problem is, where are the Wexford scores going to come from??? By stopping Eoin Kelly and Mullane I reckon it will be a close game but I honestly can't see any Wexford Player stepping up to the mark and scoring 8 or 9 points. Lambert possibly if he had more game time under his belt could be such a player but in order to win Wexford will need a to score around 18 points and that means 4 or 5 players chipping in with 3 or 4 points each. I just can't see that happening.

johnneycool

Offaly are a better team than the current Wexford outfit and if the Biffos' hadn't of gifted two goals to Waterford it'd been a close enough game last saturday. Waterford won't be caught cold or tired by this current Wexford outfit but they'll make a game of it.

Waterford by 4.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on July 25, 2008, 12:02:42 PM
Offaly are a better team than the current Wexford outfit and if the Biffos' hadn't of gifted two goals to Waterford it'd been a close enough game last saturday. Waterford won't be caught cold or tired by this current Wexford outfit but they'll make a game of it.

Waterford by 4.

It was close enough anyway JohnnyCool!! There was only 2 points in it with about 8 minutes left.

EddieMerx

Waterford by 4.

I wouldn't agree with that to be honest, I'd say Wexford, Offaly and Dublin are at a similar standard at the moment, with all three at a similar level to Limerick and Clare with Waterford just ahead due to having one or two better key players

AZOffaly

Quote from: EddieMerx on July 25, 2008, 12:48:28 PM

Waterford by 4.

I wouldn't agree with that to be honest, I'd say Wexford, Offaly and Dublin are at a similar standard at the moment, with all three at a similar level to Limerick and Clare with Waterford just ahead due to having one or two better key players

I think that's fairly spot on Eddie. Waterford have better hurlers than Limerick or Clare, and if they are tuned in, they are ahead of both of them. They also have experience and strength, which eventually got them over the line against Offaly, and I think their combination of all that will see for Wexford as well. I think it will be close though, especially if Wexford turn up like they did for 35 minutes in Croker. If they don't it'll be a massacre.

Ash Smoker

Maybe the ref should have given Wexford a few more seconds.
I surprised Damien Fitzhenry didn't have a sliotar ready to puck after the last Waterford wide.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: hardstation on July 27, 2008, 02:38:08 PM
How come John Mullane can never win a free? The refs must all hate him. All the time, he gets the shite kicked out of him and the refs give frees against him.
Port Lairge 1-10
Loch Garman 1-06

Agree Hardstation. A few years back he got a reputation and he still seems to siffer from it with refs.He did well today to keep his disipline especially in the first half when he was blatantly fouled on 2 occassions and frees were given against him.

TheHonSec

Who's idea was it to send the penalty over the bar? Did the SG have any idea?

EddieMerx

First off I must say well done to Wexford, considering the age profile of the team and the syle of play which you can see evolving I honestly think that the future does not look so bad. The problem with Mullane is he takes far too many steps with the ball, yes he gets foulded but only after the ref has blown him up for taking steps. The refs this year are cracking down on it and I for one am happy to see it. Tomas Mulcahy at one point said he couldn't see what Mullane was pulled up for when clearly the replay showed he took 8 steps before he was hauled down.

I think the penalty was a miss hit by Fitzhenry as there is no way you would bring your keeper up just to slot the ball over the bar, as a Wexford man I find it hard to be down today as I really think this team is going places, had Rossi, Stamp and Barry Lambert been fit to start I have no doubt they would have taken Wateford.