Mates from your Rival County attending your game to see you lose

Started by Fuzzman, July 22, 2008, 12:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Folks have many of ye been to watch yer beloved county play a game and any of yer mates from one of your biggest rivals came along to stir it up or just to quietly observe?

In 2004 I was in the house one Sunday and I got a call from a Derry mate who was going to Croker to watch Derry v Kerry in the AI semi's.
I hadn't heard from ANY of my Derry mates in the past year funnily enough but here he was asking me did I fancy popping over to Croker as I lived in Dublin anyways.

Sure I said why Not to I put on the aul Brolly Tyrone Shirt that I wear and went into the Hogan to meet them
Derry were leading my 4 points or so and so I got loads of jeers when I sauntered in with the jersey on.

Unfortunately Derry never scored that half again and Kerry went on to win comfortably.
Of course I was devasted for my fellow neighbours but tried to hide my tears.

My mate returned the favour last August when Meath beat Tyrone again and boy was he popular with my fellow Tyrone friends. NOT!!!

Have any of ye had similar experiences and do you think this is fair enough behaviour or bang out of order
Especially when tickets are at a premium for some games like Louth.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 22, 2008, 12:34:38 PM
Folks have many of ye been to watch yer beloved county play a game and any of yer mates from one of your biggest rivals came along to stir it up or just to quietly observe?

In 2004 I was in the house one Sunday and I got a call from a Derry mate who was going to Croker to watch Derry v Kerry in the AI semi's.
I hadn't heard from ANY of my Derry mates in the past year funnily enough but here he was asking me did I fancy popping over to Croker as I lived in Dublin anyways.

Sure I said why Not to I put on the aul Brolly Tyrone Shirt that I wear and went into the Hogan to meet them
Derry were leading my 4 points or so and so I got loads of jeers when I sauntered in with the jersey on.

Unfortunately Derry never scored that half again and Kerry went on to win comfortably.
Of course I was devasted for my fellow neighbours but tried to hide my tears.

My mate returned the favour last August when Meath beat Tyrone again and boy was he popular with my fellow Tyrone friends. NOT!!!

Have any of ye had similar experiences and do you think this is fair enough behaviour or bang out of order
Especially when tickets are at a premium for some games like Louth.

Too be honest had similar stuff happened to me so I got rid of all my mayo and leitrim friends. Kept some of my rossie ones though.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stephenite

Never laughed as much as the day Tyrone beat Kerry in the '03 semi final. Two brothers from Kerry would be mates of mine and they loved rubbing in our losses to them in '97 and even more so, the '04 debacle. Always a sly comment to be made if you happened to have the jersey on, or are simply discussing the upcoming championship in early spring.

I laughed at them, I went drinking with them for the entire day after the game, I called around to one of them the following day to laugh at him some more. I called around the morning of the AI final in '03 to wave my ticket at them and laugh at them again.

And then the All Ireland final of 2006 came round :'( :'(

orangeman

Quote from: stephenite on July 22, 2008, 01:06:42 PM
Never laughed as much as the day Tyrone beat Kerry in the '03 semi final. Two brothers from Kerry would be mates of mine and they loved rubbing in our losses to them in '97 and even more so, the '04 debacle. Always a sly comment to be made if you happened to have the jersey on, or are simply discussing the upcoming championship in early spring.

I laughed at them, I went drinking with them for the entire day after the game, I called around to one of them the following day to laugh at him some more. I called around the morning of the AI final in '03 to wave my ticket at them and laugh at them again.

What goes around.............. !  ;)

Still it was good at the time I'm sure.

T Fearon

Many times recently, armed with free tickets, I have gone for the pure bliss of seeing Tyrone dumped on their assholes. Their Ulster semi final defeat against Donegal in 2004, against Derry in 2006 and last year's humiliation at the hands of a mediocre Meath team were among the most memorable of these, and indeed witnessing Mayo beating them in the AI quarter finals in 2004, went a long way towards compensating for Armagh's defeat to Fermanagh in the game immediately preceding this. ;D

Denn Forever

[size=16ppt]How sad are people who would do that?[/size]
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Sadder than a sad saddo with serious sadness issues who has just run over his own dog.

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on July 22, 2008, 03:54:49 PM
Many times recently, armed with free tickets, I have gone for the pure bliss of seeing Tyrone dumped on their assholes. Their Ulster semi final defeat against Donegal in 2004, against Derry in 2006 and last year's humiliation at the hands of a mediocre Meath team were among the most memorable of these, and indeed witnessing Mayo beating them in the AI quarter finals in 2004, went a long way towards compensating for Armagh's defeat to Fermanagh in the game immediately preceding this. ;D

What did you think of the All-Ireland Final in 2003 and the All-Ireland Semi-Final 2005? Great, wasn't it ;D

Me, I wouldn't dream of going to a game just to goat a friend from a rival county.
Testing Accessibility

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteFolks have many of ye been to watch yer beloved county play a game and any of yer mates from one of your biggest rivals came along to stir it up or just to quietly observe?

Would go to Armagh matches with mates from Down occasionally. Jeez the bitterness towards Armagh from the Mourne men hasta be seen to be believed!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rois

Quote from: Hardy on July 22, 2008, 04:19:56 PM
Sadder than a sad saddo with serious sadness issues who has just run over his own dog.

Brilliant

The Real Laoislad

I always go to the Kilkenny matches with my mates,hoping KK would lose...Very rarely happens though  :(
You'll Never Walk Alone.

tyssam5

Quote from: stephenite on July 22, 2008, 01:06:42 PM

It's not the Sheehy brothers that are your mates is it? That's fierce slagging altogether. Wee Mikey is still in bits about it.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIt's not the Sheehy brothers that are your mates is it? That's fierce slagging altogether. Wee Mikey is still in bits about it

I'd go and see Tyrone lose but we dont bother going to quarter-finals and qualifiers.

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 22, 2008, 08:14:05 PM
QuoteIt's not the Sheehy brothers that are your mates is it? That's fierce slagging altogether. Wee Mikey is still in bits about it

I'd go and see Tyrone lose but we dont bother going to quarter-finals and qualifiers.

I reckon you flew home in 2005 for the final though, hence the massive chip? I'd hate to waste money on a trip like that.

The bookie paid for my trip at 13-8. It was sweet.

Mike Sheehy

on the contrary, the final was a minor blip on a great trip. It was good to get away from those Tyrone fans though. Ye really are the worst, no craic or banter at all. Straight out the road back to Tyrone....at least  we had some craic with other teams that beat us in recent years e.g  Kildare, Meath etc....christ, even Armagh were better craic.