Donegal V Monaghan

Started by J70, July 20, 2008, 06:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Best team won...Roper lay down and cost his team a draw. he has been diving his entire career and finally was caught. Ye would think he was shot..i have seen u12s hit harder.

J70

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2008, 06:39:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 26, 2008, 06:36:36 PM
We kicked it away. Finlay won it for them. Good luck to Monaghan.

Rory Woods is a c**t. The point from his slap on Roper was the difference.

Don't blame Woods  - Donegal kicked themselves out of it - Mc Fadden choked again.

Not blaming Woods for the loss - he threw a slap and got away with it. The ref missed it.

We didn't play any decent ball into McFadden - what do you want him to do, especially when Monaghan had two lads sitting in front of their fullbacks. I don't think any of our full-forwards scored from play. Everything had to come from the midfield and half-forwards.

orangeman

Quote from: J70 on July 26, 2008, 06:45:02 PM

Don't blame Woods  - Donegal kicked themselves out of it - Mc Fadden choked again.

Not blaming Woods for the loss - he threw a slap and got away with it. The ref missed it.

We didn't play any decent ball into McFadden - what do you want him to do, especially when Monaghan had two lads sitting in front of their fullbacks. I don't think any of our full-forwards scored from play. Everything had to come from the midfield and half-forwards.

Referee didn't beat Donegal ! Your forwards beat you - the full frward line beat you - all this talk about Devenney was dung. Forget about him.

J70

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2008, 06:51:07 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 26, 2008, 06:45:02 PM

Referee didn't beat Donegal ! Your forwards beat you - the full frward line beat you - all this talk about Devenney was dung. Forget about him.

As I said, we kicked it away. That point shouldn't have mattered and will be forgotten about and I'm sure some such decision went against Monaghan at some point. I just can't stand seeing players getting away with a blatant slap in such a manner. Even the Monaghan player who scored the point stopped for split second waiting for ref's whistle! But Woods antagonized me last year with some sly off-the-ball digs into Barry Monaghan's ribs when the ref wasn't looking, so my opinion of him wasn't great to begin with. Just like other's who have taken pleasure in Roper getting his comeuppance for alleged offenses in the past.

orangeman

What now J70 ?

Mc Ivor will hardly stay around ?

Who's next for the hot seat ?

J70

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2008, 07:13:28 PM
What now J70 ?

I don't know to be honest.

McIver has searched the county for talent and given a lot of lads a chance, but I don't know if he is going to lead us to an Ulster title or consistent All Ireland quarter-finals. Not really faulting him today - the effort was plainly there and we dealt quite well with the Monaghan forwards, and had we taken either of those straight-forward goal chances, we would have won, but we have lost several tight matches in similar circumstances during his tenure. I caught the tail end of McHugh's summation on Highland after Setanta switched off - he appeared to think that Donegal need to kick on in terms of the intensity of our preparations and dedication to match the likes of what he considered a more limited Monaghan squad (controversial, I'm sure). The question is whether there is more in this Donegal squad than they've shown over the past few seasons and if so, who can get it from them. Maybe the planets are aligning for McHugh to finally bite the bullet!

orangeman

Quote from: J70 on July 26, 2008, 07:33:13 PM
What now J70 ?

McIver has searched the county for talent and given a lot of lads a chance, but I don't know if he is going to lead us to an Ulster title or consistent All Ireland quarter-finals. Not really faulting him today - the effort was plainly there and we dealt quite well with the Monaghan forwards, and had we taken either of those straight-forward goal chances, we would have won, but we have lost several tight matches in similar circumstances during his tenure. I caught the tail end of McHugh's summation on Highland after Setanta switched off - he appeared to think that Donegal need to kick on in terms of the intensity of our preparations and dedication to match the likes of what he considered a more limited Monaghan squad (controversial, I'm sure). The question is whether there is more in this Donegal squad than they've shown over the past few seasons and if so, who can get it from them. Maybe the planets are aligning for McHugh to finally bite the bullet!

If Mc Ivor can;t get it out of them, I don't know who you'd send for .

J70

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2008, 07:53:28 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 26, 2008, 07:33:13 PM
What now J70 ?

If Mc Ivor can;t get it out of them, I don't know who you'd send for .

I don't know either, as I have been away from the club scene for quite a while. Jim McGuinness and Tony Boyle appear to be making names for themselves in club management, but McHugh will always be the first name mentioned. Maybe Charlie Mulgrew would be worth taking a chance on- he was interested last year before McIver came back and he has had some success at that level.

orangeman

Donegal have a lot of footballers but aren't ruthless enough.

Whacker

Was Arther game today and i have t say Donegl kicked it away.  Too many boys looking the easy option and think they are going to be handed the ball on a plate!

Karl Lacey give an exhibition today, quality player!  Cassidy tried to carry the fight but outside Walsh and efforts of Murphy, they done nothing! Toye was quality when he came on and took the game to Monaghan.  How they looked at Roper for as long as they did I dont know!

Overall,I dont think people should look to McIvor although it may be as far as it can take them, the players have to take a look at themselves and the want to win!  Monaghan wanted it today!  In terms of dedication and preparation and willing to win, Armagh Tyrone Fermanagh added in, they are years ahead!

Maguire01

The ref was poor today and made a lot of dubious decisions both ways (annoying the Monaghan fans a lot in the second half), but i right in front of where Roper went down and the ref was just right to ignore his antics and wave play on and once the play was waved on, he was up in seconds. Woods had a wild hand up, but contact was minimal and i don't think there was any intent. Roper took a dive in the second half as well and didn't get anything out of it.

Bar Monaghan's chance at the start though, we never threatened the goal, whereas Donegal had 2 great chances, one hitting the crossbar and one being saved - either of those going in could have swung the game.
Clerkin, Woods and Finlay were all on fire today and did a massive amount of work. Tommy didn't see much ball at all, but it's nice to win without too much reliance on him.
Fair play to all players on that evening - it was a real scorcher and fitness levels really showed. Was also great to see such a big Monghan support - would it have been 50/50? What was the attendance? 10,000?

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 26, 2008, 11:48:07 PM
The ref was poor today and made a lot of dubious decisions both ways (annoying the Monaghan fans a lot in the second half), but i right in front of where Roper went down and the ref was just right to ignore his antics and wave play on and once the play was waved on, he was up in seconds. Woods had a wild hand up, but contact was minimal and i don't think there was any intent. Roper took a dive in the second half as well and didn't get anything out of it.

Bar Monaghan's chance at the start though, we never threatened the goal, whereas Donegal had 2 great chances, one hitting the crossbar and one being saved - either of those going in could have swung the game.
Clerkin, Woods and Finlay were all on fire today and did a massive amount of work. Tommy didn't see much ball at all, but it's nice to win without too much reliance on him.
Fair play to all players on that evening - it was a real scorcher and fitness levels really showed. Was also great to see such a big Monghan support - would it have been 50/50? What was the attendance? 10,000?

I think they gave out 7500 -

It was still a free though - I can't say that it cost them the game, but Donegal lost by a point !

J70

Quote from: Whacker on July 26, 2008, 11:22:12 PM
Was Arther game today and i have t say Donegl kicked it away.  Too many boys looking the easy option and think they are going to be handed the ball on a plate!

Karl Lacey give an exhibition today, quality player!  Cassidy tried to carry the fight but outside Walsh and efforts of Murphy, they done nothing! Toye was quality when he came on and took the game to Monaghan.  How they looked at Roper for as long as they did I dont know!

Overall,I dont think people should look to McIvor although it may be as far as it can take them, the players have to take a look at themselves and the want to win!  Monaghan wanted it today!  In terms of dedication and preparation and willing to win, Armagh Tyrone Fermanagh added in, they are years ahead!

Yeah I thought Lacey was superb, back to his form of two and three years ago. Neil McGee and Johnny Gallagher (first game as well) did well too. I thought most of the lads did well to be honest, and we could easily have been praising a good Donegal performance and win.
But that's the way it goes. Thankfully there always next year!

Maguire01

Quote from: J70 on July 27, 2008, 12:01:35 AM
I thought most of the lads did well to be honest, and we could easily have been praising a good Donegal performance and win.
But that's the way it goes. Thankfully there always next year!

Yep, it was definitely a contest right up to the end and that last high ball that went in near the end was a nerve wrecking moment from a Monaghan perspective.

Main Street

This was a riveting spirited football game.
The one point games are putting years on me.

Rory Woods ran himself to standstill and deserved MOM. Finlay hasn't missed a beat.

Good performances from the wee players, Gollogly, Hanratty and McManus, all of them have grown in other ways :)
It looks like we are ticking over nicely.
It's no fluke to outplay both Derry and Donegal two years running.
We will give any team a good game in 3rd round.