Laois v Down

Started by Down Gael, July 20, 2008, 06:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 22, 2008, 07:41:25 PM
Quote from: western exile on July 22, 2008, 11:46:59 AM
Some more from the papers on that Laois 17 year old sensation v. Longfort.........

Teenage star Kingston right at home in step-up to senior championship challenge

THE teenager that Laois manager Liam Kearns didn't want to play eventually turned out to be his side's match-winner at Pearse Park on Saturday night.

It's not that Kearns has anything against 17-year-old schoolboy Donie Kingston. But when it comes to hardcore championship football, perhaps young talent needs to be nurtured gently.

That was part of Kearns's thinking a few weeks ago, but there was no stopping the 6ft-plus gangling Barrowhouse clubman. He simply could not be kept off the team for his championship debut.

"To be honest, Donie has a huge amount of talent. He's physically very strong, mentally very strong," Kearns admitted afterwards.

"He's as good a 17-year-old as I've seen at this stage of his career. We thought we'd be taking him off the bench, but he was playing too well in challenge matches, so we were forced into playing him.

"We just couldn't keep him off the team. He's too good. Once we got the ball in to him he kept getting scores and Donie was probably the match-winner for us."

Corner forwards are traditionally bred small and pacy, but Kingston's height, style and composure are reminiscent of two members of the 'height for hire' versatile forward brigade of the '80s — Padraic Dunne of Offaly and John Caffrey, Pillar Caffrey's brother, both of whom won an All-Ireland with their respective counties.

Kingston confirmed that he's here to stay on the championship stage by scoring a vital goal in the 55th minute which turned the tide in favour of Laois when they were in danger of being overrun by rampant Longford.

It could have been a hat-trick as he later blasted in two goal efforts which rocketed over the bar for points — not the same thrill for the youngster but very important contributions.

What he thinking giving this lad a senior debut? From Laois's past experiences surely he should be hidden in barn somewhere for a few year so the Aussie can't get to him? Whatever happened to the other teen sensation from a few years ago, Donie something as well?

Donie Brennan?? The smallest inter-county player in ireland!!

tyssam5

The very man, is he still playing?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 22, 2008, 07:53:33 PM
The very man, is he still playing?

Yeah he is surely, don't think he played there saturday though. He was still an u21 last year I think as well.

miss mess

Would it be worth staying over?  Much about Portlaois?

Mike Sheehy

QuoteHe's trying to be funny

yeah, I guess I cant compete with this kind of comic genius...

QuoteNeighbours is greater than hollyoaks has ever been, come back to me when hollyoaks has its twentieth annieversary and we'll think about talking!

unless, of course, you meant it...which would make you a compete twat

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: miss mess on July 22, 2008, 08:03:59 PM
Would it be worth staying over?  Much about Portlaois?

Nothing in Portlaoise,But if you head 40min south you'll find yourself in Kilkenny,Far better place for boozing
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: upthehoops on July 22, 2008, 11:15:26 AM
yep. He's the free state version of the tosser from "The pass"

why dont you piss off to Glasgow and hang out with your British soccer loving mates. Your type doesn't belong on a gaa board

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 22, 2008, 08:33:11 PM
QuoteHe's trying to be funny

yeah, I guess I cant compete with this kind of comic genius...

QuoteNeighbours is greater than hollyoaks has ever been, come back to me when hollyoaks has its twentieth annieversary and we'll think about talking!

unless, of course, you meant it...which would make you a compete t**t

Ah Mike calm down lad, your southern wit doesn't wash that well with us stupid nordies

After all, have never came across a stupid kerry man

The Real Laoislad

Will ye two either comment on the upcoming Super Saturday Heavyweight showdown of Laois v Down or kindly piss the f**k off
That is all :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 22, 2008, 08:49:29 PM
Will ye two either comment on the upcoming Super Saturday Heavyweight showdown of Laois v Down or kindly piss the f**k off
That is all :)

Don't blame me, he started it!! Plus whats he doing invading the thread anyway!

Tell him laoislad

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWill ye two either comment on the upcoming Super Saturday Heavyweight showdown of Laois v Down or kindly piss the f**k off
That is all

I believe I did comment and said ye didnt have a hope against a side that scored 5-19.

Then, as usual, some Nordie pr**ks have to have to open their traps and have an (unprovoked) go.

tyssam5

Tough at work lad?

Pull up some youtube highlights of 03 and 05 that'll put you in good form. Always works for me.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 22, 2008, 08:56:09 PM
QuoteWill ye two either comment on the upcoming Super Saturday Heavyweight showdown of Laois v Down or kindly piss the f**k off
That is all

I believe I did comment and said ye didnt have a hope against a side that scored 5-19.

Then, as usual, some Nordie pr**ks have to have a open their traps and have an (unprovoked) go.

Why you resorting to swearing?? So are you saying that you were 100% serious in saying that laois had no chance, you're a good lad.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWhy you resorting to swearing??

I've told you lads before that if you want to have a go that not only will I respond but I will up the ante. Its up to you lads....

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 22, 2008, 09:00:39 PM
QuoteWhy you resorting to swearing??

I've told you lads before that if you want to have a go that not only will I respond but I will up the ante. Its up to you lads....

You have told me nothing son, I don't pay a bit of notice to ya until you have came into this thread.