New Meath Manager

Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

So - is Blessed Luke now Royal Luke, officially?

thejuice

Just heard on LMFM its been deferred for another week,  ::)

for f**k sake, just tell Luke to take the Carlow job.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

Luke has been to Carlow (albeit for one game) already.

Obviously the club delegate 'peasants' revolted tonight and a brave face has been put on it.

Meath need more than a 'Div 3/arse end of Div 2' manager and this was copped tonight.

(this is all speculation on my behalf. Terms and conditions apply)

thejuice

Aye,  I have only heard about 2 people saying Luke Dempsey would be good for Meath, everyone else is up in arms about it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Todays Indo

QuoteRoyals fail to appoint boss
Meath are no nearer to appointing a senior football manager after a night of some drama in Navan, WRITES COLM KEYS.

It had been expected that Luke Dempsey would be the name put forward following a lengthy process of sourcing potential candidates.

But a Management Committee meeting prior to a full board meeting in Simonstown last night failed to reach agreement on a name for ratification.

It is understood that three of the five-man selection committee were behind a move to go outside the county, hence Dempsey's nomination.

Dempsey had been interviewed by members of the committee two weeks ago in Mullingar, but, after agonising over the choice of candidate since then, Management decided to buy more time.

It is understood that a number of clubs held meetings in recent days with some preparing to oppose the nomination of Dempsey for the position.

Eamonn O'Brien, a selector under Sean Boylan, was the early favourite.

Hardy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 13, 2008, 09:30:14 PM
Meath need more than a 'Div 3/arse end of Div 2' manager and this was copped tonight.

Exactly, SS and it seems that it's only three members of the selection committee that don't understand this, with the rest of the county staring drop-jawed at what they're proposing. With a bit of luck this will be the end of it and the three lads will realise they can't make this joke happen. Indeed, if Luke has any backbone, I'd expect him to pull out at this stage, for the sake of his dignity.

Of course this doesn't mean we won't have another joke proposal next, since these lads have demonstrated what they're capable of coming up with when entrusted with a vital decision for the future of Meath football.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Uladh

If meath are to look outside the county then surely their sights should be set a bit higher than dempsey?

I'm lead to believe that meath have been quite a bit behind the top counties in their preparation/organisation in recent years and a good manager could make a large step forward by adding this alone.

i'm not against outside managers but if there is one of your own, who will know the players available who can be progressive in their outlook then thats your man.

magpie seanie

QuoteBad news for Sligo.

Shite.

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 14, 2008, 11:06:36 AM
QuoteBad news for Sligo.

Shite.

Ah stop lads.

I was astonished that Meath have even considered this guy and in my gut I really can't see the South Sligo Mafia going for him unless there's no one else left. That said, in fairness pickings are slim at the moment when it comes to inter-county managers.

Ah shite - as I'm writing this I'm becoming more and more convinced he'll be the Sligo manager in a month.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Hardy on October 14, 2008, 09:38:05 AM
Exactly, SS and it seems that it's only three members of the selection committee that don't understand this, with the rest of the county staring drop-jawed at what they're proposing. With a bit of luck this will be the end of it and the three lads will realise they can't make this joke happen. Indeed, if Luke has any backbone, I'd expect him to pull out at this stage, for the sake of his dignity.

Oh for a bit of similar indignation from clubs in Cavan when they put Peter Stringfellow in charge two years ago! Be thankful, at least Luke has some experience...

TacadoirArdMhacha

From the Sunday Tribune

The interesting, and slightly hilarious backdrop, to the search by both Meath and Dublin for a new manager over the last two months, is that both county boards initially set their hearts on the same man. No, not Brian Mullins.

Dublin gave up on this individual quickly enough and moved down through their list of possible candidates and Meath, most likely, will follow their neighbours in the next few days when they name Luke Dempsey or Eamonn O'Brien (or somebody else entirely) as a successor to Colm Coyle. However, Meath officials did not give up so quickly and have journeyed across the county boundaries to have several lengthy and impassioned meetings over the last couple of weeks with the man they really want, and one last plea from them to him is likely.

Anybody know who it is that Liam Hayes is referring to or is he just spouting his usual nonsense? Dublin and Meath after the same man? The thought that it was Joe Kernan occured to me. If so, its hard to see Meath having much luck. Amazing to see a county like Meath linked with, never mind on the verge of appointing, an outsider with as mediocre a record as Luke Dempsey.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Louth Exile

Tully's Bookmakers on Flowerhill in Navan have suspended beating on who the next manager will be. Instead they have opened up a new market:

How long will it take for Meath to appoint a new manager?
Within the week as mention at meeting last night     40/1
By Halloween                                                       10/1
Santa will bring him all the other pressies                   2/1
Either the Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy will deliver one half way through the NFL   20/1

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Jinxy

Taken from hoganstand.com.

Dempsey withdraws from Meath race

14 October 2008

Eamonn O'Brien is set to be named as the next Meath football manager after his main rival for the post, Luke Dempsey, dramatically withdrew his candidacy.

The former Westmeath, Carlow and Longford boss, who has also been linked with the vacancies in Carlow and Sligo, claimed his position had become "untenable" after the county board executive failed to put his name forward for ratification last night.

Dempsey had been favoured by three members of the five-man selection committee given the task of finding a successor to Colm Coyle, only to find himself caught in the middle of an unseemly wrangle between officers who favoured him and those who supported local candidate Eamonn O'Brien.

His withdrawal now makes O'Brien the obvious favourite, although there is still the possibility that more candidates will enter the race the longer the process drags on. Dempsey claimed that Meath officials had initiated the contact and then met him on two separate occasions in his home town of Mullingar.

"We discussed everything down to the finest detail," he revealed. "Having met me twice, I was really excited about the prospect of moving into one of the bigger counties."

However, in recent days he "became aware" of obstacles to the appointment of an outside manager. Pointing out that his mother was from Meath, he had once lived in the county and also managed junior club side Ballinabrackey, Dempsey stressed that he was "not unfamiliar" with the county.

But he added: "When the executive couldn't push through my nomination, for whatever reasons, last night, my position became untenable. And no matter what they decide, I am actually withdrawing from the race."

Despite his disappointment at the latest turn of events, Dempsey wished the new manager and everyone associated with Meath GAA "the very best of luck".

:P
If you were any use you'd be playing.