Waterford V Offaly

Started by EddieMerx, July 15, 2008, 01:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieMerx

What way do people see this one going? I think this could be a close contest will only a few scores seperating the sides, Offaly have really impressed me over their last two games - 1st half against Kilkenny and the destruction of Limerick. Strangely Waterford are bit of an unknown force at the moment.

AZOffaly

I'm hopeful, but it's a huge ask. Offaly are still off the pace, one result against a poor, poor, Limerick side doesn't change that. However, what delighted me about Saturday wasn't the result, or the 10 point margin, because of Limericks paucity, but the manner in which Offaly hurled. It was pure Offaly.

Block, hook and tackle from 1-15. Go in for every single ball. Catch the ball, and if you can't, then bat it down to a colleague. In attack, don't shoot stupidly. Look for free colleagues. Try to give 60-40 or better passes, bot 50-50 or worse hoofs. Keep the ball moving, and moving fast. Ground Strokes with a purpose, not just for the sake of it if lifting is easier and more beneficial.

All in all, it was stuff I haven't seen from us for about 5 years, or more. Probably back to the Cork semi final of 2000 really.

The challenge now is to build on that, and show the same level of desire, hunger and intelligence against a team which will be on a different level mentally to Limerick. Waterford will not be out worked by Offaly, or else they have zero pride left. They also have better hurlers in key positions, like Ken McGrath, Eoin Kelly, Dave Bennet, Michael Walsh, Dan Shanahan and John Mullane.

David Kenny will have to hurl the same again, as will Bergin. Bergin at full forward will test McGrath if he's in there, because McGrath is not a full back, great hurler and all as he is.

If Offaly can compete, and again hold Waterford to a low, or zero, goals tally, we'll have a chance, because I still think Waterford's full back line is porous, and if McGrath is back there, and PRendergast in the corner, the likes of Shane Dooley, Daniel Currams et al, might have a bit of success.

My head says Waterford with a bit to spare, 6-8 points. My heart says 'Uibh Fhailí Abú'.

didlyi

I think this could be a great game. Both teams play an attractive brand of hurling. Offally will have gained much confidence since KK and can put it up to Waterford and wouldnt be surpised if they won.
However , Waterford to shade it with their experinece and firepower.

INDIANA

i'd like to see offaly doing it, but if waterford have any gumption after their shennanigans thsi year they should come out all guns blazing. there are waterford guys playing for their careers at the weekend. Defeat really is the end for a lot of them. waterford by 7-8 points.

slow corner back

Hope Offally can win this. Like all hurling fans I would have had a soft spot for Waterford over the last ten years but the treatment of Justin McCarthy and Eoin Kellys antics against antrim put me off them now. It would also be great to see Offally looking like getting back to the big table

AZOffaly

Lads, please. Not just in this thread but all over the board. It's O-F-F-A-L-Y. Two 'F's, one 'L'.

:D

slow corner back

AZOffaly

Don't worry SCB, it's a common mis-spelling all over the board. Does my head in. We have 7 senior All Irelands since 1971 you know :D

Lecale2

Things could only improve after you changed the name from King's County!

AZOffaly

That was done a bit before 1971 in fairness :) But ye luders would probably spell it Kinggs Countty.

Reillers

They really are the surprise package. Offaly, they came out of know where in a way. I'd like to see them do well but I can't see it, I think Waterford will win, not by much but I think they'll shade it. It'd be really interesting to see Offaly win though.

AZOffaly

As long as we continue to progress, I'll be happy. If we play the same way, and come up short, I'll still see it as progress, because Waterford would have to be good to beat us in that case. If we play badly, and let ourself down, I'd be disappointed.

Whatever the outcome, I think the players have realised that reports of our death are greatly exaggerated, and we still have hurlers in Offaly. Hopefully that will give them a platform to build on, and get back to being competitive in Leinster and beyond.

Reillers

Sure that's what it's all about I suppose. I think we're going up for both matches, we're leaving at 2, I haven't discussed the details with our driver, well know that's a lie I was just too pissed to remember, but I can't imagine another reason for going that early. So I'll cheer for Offaly if you do the same for Cork.  :D :D

Waterford Lurker

am very nervous about this one...was hugely impressed with Offalys performance last week. The hunger and stickwork they displayed against Limerick was something else

agree with ya AZ, goals will decide this one, hopefully Dan The Man can reach the form of last year on Saturday, he played a bit better vs Antrim than in the first game where he was miles off the pace of championship hurling. Seamus Prendergast -hopefully if he is fit enough- will be an addition in the forwards.

Hope the WD team have been practising avoiding getting hooked and blocked all this week as Offaly are kings of this kind of tight stuff!!

Reckon Galway will win the other game which looks like it will be equally tight
Up the Déise

didlyi

Heard Offaly's Daithi regan say that Davy Fitz will have waterford so fired up that it will interfere with thier fanatastic brand of hurling. I think Waterford would do well to take a leaf out of the Clares book, they might have won an allireland by now if they did. Hope Waterford stuff it down his neck.