Greatest football ever game

Started by sligeach, July 12, 2008, 07:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I must try and see the Armagh/Tyrone semi again but I have watched the Mayo/Dublin game a few times since and it was probably the best game I have ever seen. Repeated viewing doesn't dim the quality of the game.

tyssam5

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 12, 2008, 05:19:04 PM
The '89 McCrory cup final Colmans v Maghera, ended 4.10 to 4.9 or some such ridiculous score - tohill v mccartan amongst others, superb stuff - although of course the passage of time tends to improve such games.

No time isn't the factor, I was at that game, absolutely brilliant.

As for the Tyrone/Armagh semi in '05 who can forget the 'brilliant' analysis of Tony Davis who preferred the TM cup final! And he still has that job!

ONeill

Memories of the '05 game:

Stevie McDonnell's squeezed goal.
O'Neill's pinpoint penalty.
O'Rourke lying on the turf looking for a free in the lead up to the penalty decision.
Francie and Cavanagh wiping each other out in a mammoth collision.
Geezer's point.
Sweeney's point.
Canavan/Mulligan discussion.
Geezer's withdrawal.
Geezer muttering something under his breath as Canavan stepped up.
McMenamin's point and reaction.
Clarke and McEntee turning the screw with 5 mins left.
The lack of air and a smokey/misty aura due to the sheer tension and crowd participation.
Hugging a Derry man.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pedro

The Tyrone Armagh 2005 game was one of the best i was at. What sticks out for me was Sean Cavanagh and McGeeney jostling off the ball, Cavanagh pushed Geezer falls to the groud shouting to the linesman for a free, Cavanagh wins the ball, jinks on to his right and clips one into the Hill. I remember being shocked that McGeeney would lie down looking for a free like that.

I remember seeing the 1977 semi and thinking it wasn't as good as i thought it would be.

For me, the best has to be Louth/Tyrone 2006 in Navan. Down by 8 points to the AI champions and it looked like Louth were out but they came out in the 2nd half and completely over run Tyrone scoring some beautiful points. Highlight were Paddy Keenan's awesome fielding and his great point, long range points from subs Ray Finnegan and Brian White (on their debuts if I remember correctly), JP pulling the jersey over his head Ravanelli-style when he scored the equaliser! Good times!

I would like to know how that game compares to some of the other greats from the Tyrone supporters. Obviously, I am biased but I honestly think it was one of the best I've ever seen
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: pedro on July 13, 2008, 12:22:56 AM
I remember being shocked that McGeeney would lie down looking for a free like that.

One of the few Pedro, one of the very few (outside of the Orchard)  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

time ticking away

the greatest piece of football i have ever seen is 2005 AI semi tyrone v armagh. Mc geeney has been taken off and tyrone are one point down. Tyrone kickout, Cavanagh taps it down to himself runs 40 yards and kicks the equalizer. unbelievable- all on his own. Canavan then kicks the winner
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......