Biofuels- Dumb idea?

Started by heganboy, July 10, 2008, 06:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

The world bank has prepared a report stating that Biofuels have pushed the price of food up by 75%

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/07/exclusive_the_biofuels_report.html

I always had a view that wind, solar and nuclear were better plans than burning food...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

downgirl

They are made out to be great but they aren't...the amount of land space needed to grow the fuel and the amount of time for it to grow make it just as carbon emitting as normal diesel in the long run (well, perhaps not quite but still produces a lot of CO2).  The reason why I am saying this is beacause I'm studying Chemistry, and I read a Chemistry magazine to keep up to date with what's going on and they had a big section on biofuels a few months ago.  Check out http://www.rsc.org/Library/Researchers/Digests/Biofuels/ for more info.

Denn Forever

Quote from: heganboy on July 10, 2008, 06:16:31 PM
The world bank has prepared a report stating that Biofuels have pushed the price of food up by 75%

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/07/exclusive_the_biofuels_report.html

I always had a view that wind, solar and nuclear were better plans than burning food...

Depends on who you talk to.  Some people say that the increase in price of oil, metals and food is due to the increased use and demand in China and India (who want to join the first world).  Also I would be wary of Blogs, one persons opinion without the need to back up the fact or cite sources (as this is.  If you care, look things up for yourself).

The dangerous bio fuel source is from Palm Oil and the new plantations of Palm Oil trees.  Decreased biodiversity etc. etc
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Apparently there are big advances being made on grass as a fuel and also seaweed. Much better than current technology

heganboy

Denn. What do you mean be wary of blogs?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nifan

Read an article recently saying that research into using algae was going well and may reduce such problems, but obviously that remains to be seen.

Nuclear is the key for the near future anyway.

J70

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 10, 2008, 09:40:18 PM
Apparently there are big advances being made on grass as a fuel and also seaweed. Much better than current technology

Seaweed? As if coastal biodiversity isn't under enough pressure!

Don't see any major alternative other than nuclear myself, if people the world over want to consume electricity in the same manner that the western world currently does. Yes, there are risks with safety and handling waste, but is it a worse alternative than some of the hydroelectric schemes in places like China?

Denn Forever

Quote from: heganboy on July 10, 2008, 10:45:02 PM
Denn. What do you mean be wary of blogs?

Just that Blogs have a set agenda/particular slant on things.  The would be a good starting place to gain some initial facts but do not treat them as the gold standard.  I would be wary of any thing on the internet.  I suppose I am a luddite and like to have the information in my hands so I can see where the information has come from, what the reference material was, who reviewed it etc.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gnevin

Quote from: J70 on July 10, 2008, 10:53:27 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 10, 2008, 09:40:18 PM

Seaweed? As if coastal biodiversity isn't under enough pressure!

Don't see any major alternative other than nuclear myself, if people the world over want to consume electricity in the same manner that the western world currently does. Yes, there are risks with safety and handling waste, but is it a worse alternative than some of the hydroelectric schemes in places like China?

3 gorges will only generate 3% of chinas total needs when at full capacity !
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.