Ciaran McDonald or Ronan Clarke?

Started by haveaharp, July 01, 2008, 02:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small white mayoman

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 02, 2008, 04:35:54 PM
Neither.   Give me Brian McGuigan and a mid 20's Peter Canavan ahead of those two pretenders anyday!

If peter canavan really is god how come errigal ciaran never won the Ai club title ;)
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

tyssam5

Neither.   Give me Brian McGuigan and a mid 20's Peter Canavan ahead of those two pretenders anyday!

Mid 20's PC had exactly the same problem as McD had his whole career with Mayo, didn't have the quality round him and as someone mentioned about McDonald, PC also tried to do too much at that time. Again similarly, the whole team looked to work it through him all the time and others didn't take on any responsibility. Throw an S'ONeill equivalent into Mayo FF line and McD might be hanging around for a few years yet just like PC did.

Oh and obviously Peter was much better too...

small white mayoman

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 02, 2008, 04:58:55 PM

Mid 20's PC had exactly the same problem as McD had his whole career with Mayo, didn't have the quality round him and as someone mentioned about McDonald, PC also tried to do too much at that time. Again similarly, the whole team looked to work it through him all the time and others didn't take on any responsibility. Throw an S'ONeill equivalent into Mayo FF line and McD might be hanging around for a few years yet just like PC did.

Oh and obviously Peter was much better too...

what about a Brian McGuigan, Dooher, Cavlan, Mugysy equivalent as well

Gold

Quote from: EugeneGeraghty on July 02, 2008, 03:48:26 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt I'd have Ronan Clarke. McDonald has all the skills of the game bar teamwork. You'd never see McDonald making a run into space for one of his own to pass into, no he has to come out the field and take it of his own team mates from right beside them. I think that if McDonald was more of a team player and not a show boater Mayo would have won an All-Ireland during his time.

Correct assessment of McDonald.

Hes like Stephen Gerard in that soccer game, it has to be all about him
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

furboot

McDonald has all the skills of the game bar teamwork. You'd never see McDonald making a run into space for one of his own to pass into, ....... I think that if McDonald was more of a team player and not a show boater Mayo would have won an All-Ireland during his time.

This video clip of McD shows otherwise ....makes a great run to take a pass and the rest is history....
http://www.dvdsales.ie/shop/2006_football___semi_final_mayo_v_dublin.417.1.10099.sports.html

Rav67

I love the way McDonald tips with one foot and kicks with the other, does anyone else do this?  Seems to enable him to get his kick away sooner when he spots someone making a run.

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: Rav67 on July 03, 2008, 04:07:55 PM
I love the way McDonald tips with one foot and kicks with the other, does anyone else do this?  Seems to enable him to get his kick away sooner when he spots someone making a run.

But you know its his right he's going to tip it with and his left he's going to kick it with.
McDonald is not only one dfooted but quarter footed, always has to kick with the outside of the left

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: furboot on July 03, 2008, 11:01:04 AM
McDonald has all the skills of the game bar teamwork. You'd never see McDonald making a run into space for one of his own to pass into, ....... I think that if McDonald was more of a team player and not a show boater Mayo would have won an All-Ireland during his time.

This video clip of McD shows otherwise ....makes a great run to take a pass and the rest is history....
http://www.dvdsales.ie/shop/2006_football___semi_final_mayo_v_dublin.417.1.10099.sports.html

what are you? A sunday game analyst? Why give one clip showing someone doing something and state it as a fact of what he always does?

small white mayoman

Quote from: EugeneGeraghty on July 03, 2008, 04:20:29 PM

But you know its his right he's going to tip it with and his left he's going to kick it with.
McDonald is not only one dfooted but quarter footed, always has to kick with the outside of the left

christ you are a tool its quite obvious you don't like or rate Mc Donald fair enough but to write down that he allways kicks withthe outside of his foot is total bullshit how many times have you actualyy seen him play live?

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: small white mayoman on July 03, 2008, 04:39:51 PM

christ you are a tool its quite obvious you don't like or rate Mc Donald fair enough but to write down that he allways kicks withthe outside of his foot is total bullshit how many times have you actualyy seen him play live?

Well my father is a Ballycastle man and when i'm down I do try to pick up a game, be it crossmolina or whatever, so I've seen a lot of him in person.

small white mayoman

Quote from: EugeneGeraghty on July 03, 2008, 04:21:46 PM

what are you? A sunday game analyst? Why give one clip showing someone doing something and state it as a fact of what he always does?

:D Hello Kettle i'm pot there you are accusing Furboot of been an anaylst and you accuse Mc D of been quarter footed unreal

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: small white mayoman on July 03, 2008, 04:58:34 PM
Quote from: EugeneGeraghty on July 03, 2008, 04:21:46 PM

:D Hello Kettle i'm pot there you are accusing Furboot of been an anaylst and you accuse Mc D of been quarter footed unreal

Were he has one clip to prove his point, I have every game that McDonald ever played

small white mayoman

:D :D Your a gas man Eugene so you have seen every game Mc Has played in you mind he Kicks every ball with the outside of the left anyway doesn't matter if he hit them with his knee he is still 1 class footballer however there are allways people like yourself that don't like him but let me tell you you don't win Mom in Ai club Finals, Ai club Ai, All Stars by been an average footballer , i'm off now i have eaten enough of you bait  :D

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: small white mayoman on July 03, 2008, 05:16:12 PM
:D :D Your a gas man Eugene so you have seen every game Mc Has played in you mind he Kicks every ball with the outside of the left anyway doesn't matter if he hit them with his knee he is still 1 class footballer however there are allways people like yourself that don't like him but let me tell you you don't win Mom in Ai club Finals, Ai club Ai, All Stars by been an average footballer , i'm off now i have eaten enough of you bait  :D

I'll throw some more to you tomorrow

Doire abú

McDonald is not only one footed but quarter footed, always has to kick with the outside of the left

Never heard worse in my life. Left-footers has the distinct disadvantage in that because they are rarer than right-footers, people notice that they kick with their left and automatically make this ridiculous assumption that they're all one-footed. Prime example Paddy Bradley - walking out of Clones a couple of years ago a Monaghan man goes to me (being serious) "That Bradley's a great player, pity he's only one foot". I goes to him "Sure what are you on about, he kicked 1-07 off his right there today". Obviously didn't have a notion what he was on about.

Not slagging off Monaghan by the way. ;D