Ulster Final 2008 - Armagh vs Fermanagh

Started by wanderer, June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

dodgyrightfoot

Quote from: Uladh on July 24, 2008, 12:22:41 PM
McGrath, who had shaped the course of the Monaghan and Derry games produced very little. McGrane fetched more ball and drove forward more. In the final 20 minutes McGrath never caught a ball but kicked one point – off the back of McGrane having to leave him to tackle an attacking half back. Mostly these two broke even, with McGrane probably shading it. Inevitably the ball will break off the pair of them and its up to the rest to compete then.

Not a mission McGrane shaded this! I have the utmost respect for McGrane as he has been consistently the best midfielder in Ulster for the last, god knows how many years, but McGrath along with Clucker took the game by the scruff of the neck last Sunday!

corn02

In the final 20, there was 50 minutes before that.

dodgyrightfoot

Indeed there was, and I still believe we edged midfield encounters in this sector! At the end of the day, everyone see's the game differently. I left Clones with no doubt in my mind that Ciaran McElroy was the man of the match, but only to watch it back and to be reconsidering my choice. Anyone from McDonnell, McGrath, Clucker, Toner could have walked away with it!

Sure what do I know?? Sunday will answer all our questions and more!

Armamike

Some well made points Uladh. In relation to McGrane, i think if people watched a video of the match again they would be impressed by the amount of ground he covered, both in getting forward and in tracking back.  McGrane did his job and more for the 70 mins, it was up to others to help him out in there.

On a very simplistic and basic level, some of Armagh's best performances over the years have come on the back of the half forward line keeping their shape and providing good link up play for the front men (not surprising really!). It would also be important for the wing backs to offer more going forward, at the right times, to try to create more overlaps and options. In terms of personnel, i don't think too many changes are needed, maybe look at McKinney as an option in goals, to help vary the kickouts if nothing else. I'd also be more inclined to go for Tony Kernan as a sub later on, to help with the defending from the front and the odd free. I think he has more to offer than Oisin at the moment on both counts.

The management know what they have to fix for Sunday. Whether it can be done is another thing.
That's just, like your opinion man.

scud

I agree with your point about AOR, well made, but PmcG shading midfield?? Didn't happen. McGrath kicked two points and it was his short attempt that provided Maguire's goal

D4S

Any more word on tickets lads?  Whats demand like in the counties? Was there last week would love to go back again, might be able to get my hands on 2 pat mcgrane tonight finding out later, just wondering is it going to be close to a full house?
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Uladh

If McGrane had has shooting boots with him could of had 1-02. whichever way you assess that head to head there wasn't much in it and certainly didn't lose armagh the game (it felt like a loss!)

illdecide

Quote from: D4S on July 24, 2008, 03:43:48 PM
Any more word on tickets lads?  Whats demand like in the counties? Was there last week would love to go back again, might be able to get my hands on 2 pat mcgrane tonight finding out later, just wondering is it going to be close to a full house?

there is plenty of tickets spare this time (well there was in our club last night whereas last week there wasn't a one to be seen spare)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Donagh

Had the chairperson on an Armagh club onto me this morning trying to shift tickets. Have a load of them left and looks like they will be returning them unless can get rid tonight.

Donagh

Quote from: illdecide on July 24, 2008, 04:05:17 PM
there is plenty of tickets spare this time (well there was in our club last night whereas last week there wasn't a one to be seen spare)

But no seated tickets for us plebs eh, illdecide?

Uladh

i had trouble enough getting tickets last week. typically, i'll not be at the game this week and have been offer tickets more than ten times this week already

D4S

Good to hear for those of us outside of armagh and fermanagh, but I hope there is about 30000 there for a good atmosphere like the 2nd half last week!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

illdecide

Quote from: Donagh on July 24, 2008, 04:07:49 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 24, 2008, 04:05:17 PM

But no seated tickets for us plebs eh, illdecide?

Correct Donagh. Us peasants to the hill as usual ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

sammymaguire

ARMAGH FOWL TACKLES

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=23765

pretty easy to spot the fowl tackle from behind... why didn't the ref? fair enough two men from the side or 1 in front plus one from the side but this type of tackling was going on by the Armagh players continually throughout the 70 minutes and should be stamped out of the game.

how is the player in possession supposed to play the ball when he is being mauled from all quarters? The GAA need to cut this out of the game!
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!