Ulster Final 2008 - Armagh vs Fermanagh

Started by wanderer, June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

sammymaguire

Quote from: Uladh on July 25, 2008, 11:54:26 AM

stop shouting

ok I'll leave that til Sunday Uladh... I didn't think this was a techie-geek zone
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

OdoSkimodo

Quote from: Uladh on July 25, 2008, 11:51:39 AM
You can only go on your own experiences. through my university time and even my times in england, fermanagh people had an extraordinary confidence. the number of lads from other ulster counties who wished for an armagh win last week for that very reason really took me aback. i had expected that everyone would like to see a fermanagh win. this board is never a good indicator, and i realise its al new to most of them, but some of the fermanagh stuff posted is cringeworthy.

All Armagh people are plump and smell of cabbage.

I base this on the fact that when I was at college I knew a fat fat man from armagh with BO.

Cringeworthy? Take a step back there big lad

Uladh

o aye - nearly forgot - it bugs me when they call everyone "big lad"

OdoSkimodo

Sorry little boy, come have a cuddle from odo :-*

FermGael

but some of the fermanagh stuff posted is cringeworthy.

Agreed

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 25, 2008, 11:52:00 AM

Fermgael, from what I can see it appears that Fermanagh fans can see nothing other than a Fermanagh win on Sunday - that is very dangerous.

Yes it is very dangerous.  If Armagh get good ball into Stevie and Ronan for most of the match, we will be beat.  Sunday highlighted the fact that they lived on scraps and still scored 1-7 between then I think.  Watching the two of them on Sunday, you can see the understanding they have.  The amount of unselfish running Clarke did to distract Clucker in the sweeper position and leave Stevie one on one, was unreal. 

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

sammymaguire

IMHO Malachy should make a few changes to Fermanagh's starting line up;

1. take out P Sherry and replace with a hard hitting defender, shadowing Stevie Mc won't suffice as he'll punish Fermanagh again if given any opportunity.
2. McBarron back in at full forward to give Francie a bit more of a hard time and keep McCabe for the impact sub approach which has worked so well this season already
3. take out J Sherry and replace with Brewster as he was ineffective and has not been at the races in this season's campaign, has potential but looks off the pace.
4. persuade the Gooch to play corner forward to look after the free-kicks....
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

*******BREAKING NEWS*******FERMANAGH LINE UP NOW IN:

Fermanagh:
           R Gallagher,
S Goan, S McDermott, P Sherry,
D Kelly, R MCCluskey, T McElroy,

M McGrath, M Murphy,

C McElroy, J Sherry, R Keenan,
E Maguire, L McBarron, M Little.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

FermGael

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2008, 12:06:44 PM

1. take out P Sherry and replace with a hard hitting defender, shadowing Stevie Mc won't suffice as he'll punish Fermanagh again if given any opportunity.

Sherry has been one of our most consistent performances this year.  Catch a grip.

where did you get that line up from??

Uladh

Fermanagh restricted clarke and McDonnell's usual supply pretty well last week. there were very few, if any, early balls for the two lads to win inside shooting distance. everything armagh did in the forward line was laboured and fermanagh made them work extremely hard for their scores for the most part. carrying ball up to the two lads is not armagh's game because they're surrounded by then and if that continues this week, fermanagh will win.

OdoSkimodo

I believe it is 50 50 for Sunday. Both sets of supporters will be hoping that the respective errors from last week will be ironed out and if so their team should win ok.

Armagh supporters will believe that they took the foot of the gas and complacency led to Fermanaghs dominance in the last 20 minutes, they will hope that they can maintain their form from the first 45 - 50 minutes for the full duration. Whereas Fermanagh supporters will believe the first 50 minutes is not a true reflection of where this team is at, that the last 20 was the real Fermanagh and come Sunday with the experience of last week they will be able to deliver a more intense performance over the course of the game and come out on top.

It is hard to say which is correct, Sunday will tell but being a fermanagh man I hope and believe that it is fermanagh who will come out on top

sammymaguire

Quote from: FermGael on July 25, 2008, 12:10:49 PM

Sherry has been one of our most consistent performances this year.  Catch a grip.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7524497.stm

I am from south Fermanagh and a big admirer of Sherry but he is not physical enough for McDonnell...

The piece says there is specualtion over Shane Lyons and Shaun Doherty. This could and possibly should be in place of the two Roslea men.

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on July 25, 2008, 11:38:59 AM
Quote from: Uladh on July 25, 2008, 10:58:39 AM
Rufus - transition is a premeditated line pushed by armagh players and management but none of them believe it for a second. if it were a transition period you'd remove anyone who isn't gonna be there in 3 years and start from scratch. McDonnell seems to love trotting that line out.

there is evolution in every team every year. If McDonnell didn't believe he could win an all ireland he wouldn't be playing Paul McGrane, Aidan O'Rourke, Enda, francie and Oisin at all.

Definetly a team in transition IMO, just not as marked as others may do it for the simple reason that McDonnell didn't want to come in and start from scratch and spend 2 or 3 years building a team while probably doing so from Divsion 3.  Evolution not revolution was a phrase trotted out a while back, and I agree with the philosophy, but it's still a transitory phase.

I thought McDonnell in his cryptic way was trying to say that they were not a team in transition - that it was everyone else saying it.

I wouldn't have it as a transistion period, just natural order. 32 xcounties a year loose some of their older, experienced players. When Geezer came into the year as a scrawny corner-back it weasn't transistion, it was just a space being replaced.

Onion Bag

Quote from: OdoSkimodo on July 25, 2008, 11:58:16 AM
You can only go on your own experiences. through my university time and even my times in england, fermanagh people had an extraordinary confidence. the number of lads from other ulster counties who wished for an armagh win last week for that very reason really took me aback. i had expected that everyone would like to see a fermanagh win. this board is never a good indicator, and i realise its al new to most of them, but some of the fermanagh stuff posted is cringeworthy.

All Armagh people are plump and smell of cabbage.

I base this on the fact that when I was at college I knew a fat fat man from armagh with BO.

Cringeworthy? Take a step back there big lad

I know loads of women from Fermanagh that are fat and stick of BO, There was a house full of them living in the Holylands, they were disgusting
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

FermGael

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2008, 12:20:08 PM
Quote from: FermGael on July 25, 2008, 12:10:49 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7524497.stm

I am from south Fermanagh and a big admirer of Sherry but he is not physical enough for McDonnell...

The piece says there is specualtion over Shane Lyons and Shaun Doherty. This could and possibly should be in place of the two Roslea men.

Why would P Sherry lose his place??  He was not marking McDonnell the last day until the last 20 when he did all right on him then.
He marked  Kernan for most of the match and he was kept very quiet.