Was Div 1 really that strong after all

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, June 23, 2008, 11:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

With 5 Div 1 teams knocked out already in the Championship - 1 knocked out by Div 1, 3 knocked out by Div 3 teams and 1 by a Div 4 team - maybe the standards weren't that high after all...

In Div 2 4 teams are out already (1 more when Dublin/Westmeath meet) - 1 knocked out by Div 1, 1 knocked out by Div 2 and 2 by Div 3 teams

Maybe Div 3 was the top league  :D

ONeill

Yes, they normally hand out Sams in June too.

f**king Dubs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Tankie

Quote from: hardstation on June 24, 2008, 12:33:06 AM
I agree with DUBSAREUS or whatever.

Div 1 is balls. You haven't seen football 'til you've seen Div 4.

D1 was a shambles this year, some very weak teams in it!
Grand Slam Saturday!

screenexile

Yeah we'll wait and see wha happens in the qualifiers shall we... no Div 1 teams are actually out yet!

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2008, 01:01:44 AM
Yeah we'll wait and see wha happens in the qualifiers shall we... no Div 1 teams are actually out yet!

So you saying that Div 1 teams deliberately lost or what is the excuse?

billy the kid

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 24, 2008, 01:10:25 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2008, 01:01:44 AM

So you saying that Div 1 teams deliberately lost or what is the excuse?

Dont be a child DFS nobody is saying they lost on purpose, although that would help explain some of the crap performances we have seen.  Point is no division one teams are actually out yet and therefore will still have a major say in the championship this year.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

screenexile

Div 1 is SOOOOOO strong that the teams have had to peak too early to stay in the division. That's what's happened! Our season's over  :'( :'(

Onlooker

Dubsforsam makes a good point re the supposed gap in standards between Div. 1 and Div.3.  Fact is that this is a lot less than the media would lead you to believe.  I recall a few journalists suggesting earlier in the year that the All Ireland Championship should be confined to Div. 1 and Div 2 teams with a secondary competition (Tommy Murphy Cup) for Divs. 3 and 4.  I have not seen anyone advocating that in the last few weeks.  I believe that there has been quite a leveling out in standards through all divisions.  I also feel that Kerry are a good bit ahead of the chasing park, unfortunately and will get the 3 in a row with or without Paul Galvin.

BallyhaiseMan

Division 3 was very strong this year i thought,Very little difference between the Top 3

Down
Fermanagh
Louth
Wexford
Sligo
Letrim
Limerick
Longford

The only drop off there is,is after Offaly in Division 4,
Althought you could possibely say Antrim and Tipp

The rest are light years behind the others.

Onlooker

Wicklow, who finished 4th or 5th in Division 4, beat Kildare who were in Div. 1.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Onlooker on June 24, 2008, 11:41:34 AM
Wicklow, who finished 4th or 5th in Division 4, beat Kildare who were in Div. 1.

Thanks for showing me up Onlooker  >:(  :D  :D

BallyhaiseMan

Ok then
theres very little difference between 2 bottom of Div 2 Cavan and Rossies all the way down to
3rd or 4th in Div 4.
Happy now Tipp Man?  :P  ;D

billy the kid

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 24, 2008, 11:38:59 AM
Division 3 was very strong this year i thought,Very little difference between the Top 3

Down
Fermanagh
Louth
Wexford
Sligo
Letrim
Limerick
Longford

The only drop off there is,is after Offaly in Division 4,
Althought you could possibely say Antrim and Tipp

The rest are light years behind the others.

There was very little difference between the top 3 who were Fermanagh, Wexford and Down.

Div 3 was competitive with some very good teams in it but lets not get carried away here by saying the likes of Tipp, Antrim, Sligo and Leitrim are in the same bracket as the 3 I just mentioned.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

timmyot501

Teams Left                Next Years Division
Cork      Div 2
Kerry      Div 1
Galway      Div 1
Mayo      Div 1
Dublin      Div 1
Westmeath   Div 1
Wexford      Div 2
Armagh      Div 2
Down      Div 3
Fermanagh      Div 2

After the split in the leagues last year everybody new it was a bit distorted. Fermanagh & Down dropped from Div 1 to 3 straight off.  I think after a year of league football the leagues are a bit more realistic for next year.  That leaves only Down as a next year Division 3 team to remain in the provincial championship.  Tyrone, Donegal and Derry are the only 3 teams from next years Div 1 to be beaten so far. One had to lose (Donegal v Derry) so only 2 have lost to lower league opposition (and tyrone only lost after extra-time in a replay)