Mayo v Galway - Connacht Final 13/07/08 14:00 McHale Park, Castlebar

Started by Barney, June 23, 2008, 08:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 08, 2008, 03:04:56 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2008, 02:25:48 PM
also if galway go at mayo and throw the rule book out the window as they have been doing recently i think parsons and harte would cope better.

Is this just whinging on rosnarun's part or do the lot of ye Mayo folk think that. Don't bother going on about Coleman, he should have walked sooner last year admittedly; as already said on here by another Galway poster he's like that in every game anyway and has been since minor.
Did we really "throw the rule book out the window"? I think that's a ridiculous statement to be honest and needs to be highlighted for the biased rubbish it is.

Would nt agree about the rule book at all. Its up to the ref to implement the rules and if players push things thats to be expected.
In my time Galway have had a more combative  edge to them and that has manifested itself probably more so against  Mayo than anybody else. I remember Tierney saying publically after his transfer to Mayo that the Galway teams he played on regarded Mayo as having a soft centre and played them accordingly. Likes of Tierney. McHugh and Peter Lee did nt take prisoners and thats ok in my book.
  Of the present day team Burke sails close to the wind with his marking/tackling game. You mention Coleman yourself and some of Cullinane s challenges in this year s championship have been clumsy at best. Blake another hardy customer.
  I for one am not whingin. I expect all teams to have a few hard men. Up to the referee to keep it fair. Just wish we had a Colm Mac,Kevin Stanton, Peter Butler or Seán Maher or 2 to even things up. I think our team is too nice.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2008, 03:50:08 PM

remember Tierney saying publically after his transfer to.

when you think of it that was a big decision for tierney transfering to Mayo , can imagine the abuse the players would receive from "fans" if someone was to transfer today from either camp
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 08, 2008, 03:56:06 PM

when you think of it that was a big decision for tierney transfering to Mayo , can imagine the abuse the players would receive from "fans" if someone was to transfer today from either camp
Tierney was living and teaching in Westport at the time.  He wasnt wanted by the Galway management of that time and he always said it was a much harder decision for him to transfer from Milltown to Westport than it was from Galway to Mayo.  He did ship a lot of abuse for it at the time both on and off the field.  I seem to remember Alan Mulholland having a right cut off him in Castlebar one year.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 08, 2008, 04:01:10 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 08, 2008, 03:56:06 PM

Tierney was living and teaching in Westport at the time.  He wasnt wanted by the Galway management of that time and he always said it was a much harder decision for him to transfer from Milltown to Westport than it was from Galway to Mayo.  He did ship a lot of abuse for it at the time both on and off the field.  I seem to remember Alan Mulholland having a right cut off him in Castlebar one year.

ye it probably would have been harder for him to leave the club allright Gi.  Never seen a more low profile connact final in my life not a mention of it at all  whats the buzz in Galway?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

GaillimhIarthair

Its very low key up here as well Deel.  It will be interesting to see what the attendence will be in Castlebar on Sunday.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 08, 2008, 04:12:13 PM
Its very low key up here as well Deel.  It will be interesting to see what the attendence will be in Castlebar on Sunday.

ye Gi i assume they will be selling tickets on the gate , if the weather is bad there could be a lot of people staying at home to watch in on the box. I'll be heading up i'm looking forward to buying galway bay boy a pint of medium in Johnny Mcs after the match ;) isn't that right gbb
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 08, 2008, 04:21:19 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 08, 2008, 04:12:13 PM

ye Gi i assume they will be selling tickets on the gate , if the weather is bad there could be a lot of people staying at home to watch in on the box. I'll be heading up i'm looking forward to buying galway bay boy a pint of medium in Johnny Mcs after the match ;) isn't that right gbb
Last time I was in Johnny McHales, I think they were using an auld biscuit tin as a till  :D I'm sure nothing has changed since as its that type of place.  Does a great pint of Guinness all the same!  Looking forward to hitting McHale Park on Sunday to be sure................

rosnarun

we know at this stage galway think the way to beat mayo is to beat them up . they are not a dirty team and dont try it on other team. mayo may have a soft edge  . but that no excuse for chaging our mainly successful way of playing and type of player.
how you can dismiss gardiner as a half back when he has played 90% of his games there is strange. my view on austin are as constant as the nothern star . he is not an intercounty player. and as accomodations are made for him the whole team game suffers. if he had a bit more speed and awareness he would be a great player and worth building the team around but without it he is a distraction.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Galforever

Quotewe know at this stage galway think the way to beat mayo is to beat them up .

This is a joke, yeah??  ???

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Galforever on July 08, 2008, 04:53:43 PM
Quotewe know at this stage galway think the way to beat mayo is to beat them up .

:D  ah no Galforever , Ros doesn't joke sure you don't ros  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

moysider

Quote from: Galforever on July 08, 2008, 04:53:43 PM

It would be a common enough held view from what I ve heard last few years.

myball22

Galway couldn't even compete in the "beat them up" stakes with Tyrone, Armagh, Meath, Kerry and countless other teams, it is grossly unfair to think that Galway can only beat Mayo by beating them up.
"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

Oh by the way if Mayo don't want McGarrity, can we have him?

moysider

David Coldrick is refereeing it any way. one of the better ones imo. He refereed our Derry game last year but we cant hold that against him. He ll be fimiliar enough with individual players and their ways. Any Galway posters remember if he s ever done a Galway match and how he got on. Bringing in outside refs has improved matters since the dark days of Prior and Kearins. It was more like tag football while the rest of the country were hopping off one another. Connacht winners literally did nt know what hit them when they left the province.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: myball22 on July 08, 2008, 05:55:03 PM
Galway couldn't even compete in the "beat them up" stakes with Tyrone, Armagh, Meath, Kerry and countless other teams, it is grossly unfair to think that Galway can only beat Mayo by beating them up.

True enough. If Mayo think they were getting roughed up by Galway imagine if the aforementioned teams got their hands on them. Not sure where this particular myth has grown from in recent years.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2008, 06:37:50 PM
Quote from: myball22 on July 08, 2008, 05:55:03 PM

True enough. If Mayo think they were getting roughed up by Galway imagine if the aforementioned teams got their hands on them. Not sure where this particular myth has grown from in recent years.

We play some of those aforementioned teams all the time in recent years and there is nt an issue about gettin beaten up.. Dont get what Mayo majority think mixed up with what a couple of individuals express on here and others may also believe. Most Mayo fans would be of the opinion that if Galway have tougher men then they would be silly not to make the most of them. I know i would. No players or management are moaning about it. Unlike a manager last year that I could name that was markin the refs card before a big hurling match.
  I have expressed the opinion here that I think Galway have an edge over us in the physical stakes. I wish the situation was reversed but it s the way it is. Not moaning about it but biased that I am I hope the ref is strict the next day.
  I have also expressed the opinion that I think Galway bring more aggression to the Mayo match than they have to the Corks and Westmeaths in recent years when they hardly looked interested at times. I wish Mayo would up it for Galway but they dont play with any more anger than if they were playing anybody else.