Match Day Music

Started by Uladh, June 18, 2008, 10:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has the national anthem being played before every single Championship game run it's course?

No, I love the custom
I think it should be for Provincial & AI Finals
Parade & Individual county music would be better
Go for a new approach with contemporary Music
Don't care

Feckitt

It's is easy to slag off Mal Cush, but I thought he and the band were very good in Casement.  The Bould Malachy singing 'Come back Paddy Reilly to Ballyjamesduff' was the musical highlight of the day.  When the band went at it on their own with a bit of diddly dee, it was still good, but far too loud.  I know it's not fashionable to stick up for Malachy, but I think most people enjoyed it for a change.

On a separate note, I hate when just one singer leads Amhran Na bhfiann becuase the crowd are much less likely to join in.  Give me a band anyday.  I especially hate when some girseach with an accoustic guitar does a slow sickening version ( often heard at matches in Crossmaglen)

T Fearon

Malachi is probably a nice enough lad, its just the preservation of the Begley (ie Philomena) dynasty that's disturbing.My main gripe with this music is that it is far too loud and I say that as a veteran of Slane

Interesting to see the Down County Board jettisoning Irish Culture at the end of the game with Tyrone by playing celebratory anthems more associated with soccer teams celebrating a victory, such as "The Boys are Back in Town" and Queen songs.

rionach 4

The Pa system is a tannoy system and not made for tonal clarity. It makes the singer but even more so the instruments sound like they are playing in a tin box. This was very clearly the case at breffni . I much prefer the band and at times on sunday before the game there was nothing happening once Malachi had left the scene. we had four or five minutes with the teams standing about . No build up at all The parade must come back it was great for rousing the crowd. At the end of the day those involved in the Ulster are in charge of running our games . They are not music promoters and they are definetly not aware of their audience, I hate to think had Donegal got through daniel might have been trotted out..

T Fearon

I concur with that. Both teams were on the field far too early at Breffni and neither side knew what to do at 3.40 and Ard Mhaca actually started sprints across the field. The throw in was almost a complete anti climax. Certainly the parade gees everyone, players and crowd alike, up

Hardy

Players hate it, I'm told.

Maguire01

Quote from: Feckitt on June 18, 2008, 03:00:24 PM
It's is easy to slag off Mal Cush, but I thought he and the band were very good in Casement.  The Bould Malachy singing 'Come back Paddy Reilly to Ballyjamesduff' was the musical highlight of the day.  When the band went at it on their own with a bit of diddly dee, it was still good, but far too loud.  I know it's not fashionable to stick up for Malachy, but I think most people enjoyed it for a change.

Quote from: T Fearon on June 18, 2008, 03:24:58 PM
Malachi is probably a nice enough lad, its just the preservation of the Begley (ie Philomena) dynasty that's disturbing.My main gripe with this music is that it is far too loud and I say that as a veteran of Slane

Interesting to see the Down County Board jettisoning Irish Culture at the end of the game with Tyrone by playing celebratory anthems more associated with soccer teams celebrating a victory, such as "The Boys are Back in Town" and Queen songs.

As the saying goes, if it's too loud, you're too old!  :P

As for "jettisoning Irish culture", 'The Boys are Back in Town' is every bit as much a part of Irish Culture as a bit of 'diddle-de-dee'! More of this sort of thing!

Rav67

I'd prefer just to have it before finals, played by the band after a parade.  Think this would give the anthem more respect and add to the sense of occasion on final days.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteAlso, hiring Malachi Cush just shows how much the Ulster Council are in the dark ages, and that they really don't have a clue about their audience.

In fairness their audience range from teenage girls to 80 year old men and everybody in between so its difficult to please everybody. I didn't think Sunday was that bad to be honest.

QuoteHave to agree - programmes are good this year.  They're the same price as the league programmes however - and the leagure programmes were often a few black and white pages with very little apart from the teams and advertisements.  Just shows how much of a rip-off the league programmes actually were.

I agree - the league programmes realy are a disgrace. I sorta half collect them so buy one at every game but you do feel ripped off at times.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Puckoon

Why wouldnt they have it organised for big championship matches to have something along the lines of the counties' Scor dancers or musicians out on the pitch in a quickly removable stage?

Personally Id love to see something like that instead of a local "celebrity" warbling on.

balladmaker

Uladh, I think you've got your answer.....63% want the Anthem to remain going by current voting.

the green man

Quote from: Rav67 on June 18, 2008, 06:34:01 PM
I'd prefer just to have it before finals, played by the band after a parade.  Think this would give the anthem more respect and add to the sense of occasion on final days.

I would concur with Rav. Play the anthem before finals only. I think it would bring the esteem of which the anthem is held, up tremendously, and people would look forward to hearing it played.

Not that I like to compare our games to soccer, but why not get a rousing GAA anthem to play before all other championship games and leave the national one to the final match?

There's nothing worse than standing at a match and people either tight lipped or mumbling, embarrassedly, through Amhran na bfhainn.

the green man

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

saffron sam2

f**k the anthem and the parade. Get the players out three minutes before the throw-in. Play a county song for each team. Let them get ripped into it.

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2008, 10:54:47 AM
I would be in favour of of a county song being played before matches actually I think it's brilliant when it's the song associated with your team and you're all belting it out for prode in the jersey. I think we need something that helps build the atmosphere to a crescendo... imagine hearing "I Wish I Was Back Home in Derry" before a match? It would be awesome!

You could even get Gordon Lightfoot over to sing it, although he may get the words wrong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99rOzMVtcx4

But you're right, gas the aul plastic shite like the Town I Loved So Well or the Glens.

I would go for Roddy McCorley (serious, get them walking through walls) or McIlhatton (bit of craic, living up to the stereotype), although Glenravel's contribution to Antrim GAA has been crap.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ONeill

1. From sweet Londonderry to fair London town
there is not a nicer (heather) anywhere to be found
where the children each evening is a-playing round the shore
and the joy-bells are ringing for the maid of Coolmore.

2. The first time that I met her she passed me by
the next time that I met her she bade me goodbye,
but the last time that I met her she grieved my heart sore
for she sailed down Loch (Foilagh?) away from Coolmore.

3. If I had the power the storm to rise
I would blow the wind either for to darken the skies
I would blow the wind either to make the (salt seas) to roar
on the day that my love sailed away from Coolmore.

4. To the north of Americay, my love, I'll sail (forth)
for there I know noone, neither noone does me,
but should I not find her I'll return home no more
but like a pilgrim I will wander for the maid of Coolmore.

5. The first time that I met her she passed me by
the next time that I met her she bade me goodbye,
but the last time that I met her she grieved my heart sore
for she sailed down Loch (Foilagh?) away from Coolmore.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.