Paddy McCourt

Started by Rav67, June 16, 2008, 03:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

I read today he's away to West Brom for £100,000.  Stephen Kenny wasn't happy with the valuation but he was out of contract in November so he had no choice but to sell.  I've watched him a few times and he is very skilful, would this be a record sell in Irish soccer despite him going for less than market price or did Jason Byrne go for more that time?

Would love to see him do well but I'm not sure he'll get that much football in the Premiership.  Would have expected him to move to Championship or SPL at some stage.

INDIANA

he's  better than a lot of our current international players. he's very good and should have moved years ago.

dublinfella

Quote from: Rav67 on June 16, 2008, 03:48:03 PM
I read today he's away to West Brom for £100,000.  Stephen Kenny wasn't happy with the valuation but he was out of contract in November so he had no choice but to sell.  I've watched him a few times and he is very skilful, would this be a record sell in Irish soccer despite him going for less than market price or did Jason Byrne go for more that time?

Would love to see him do well but I'm not sure he'll get that much football in the Premiership.  Would have expected him to move to Championship or SPL at some stage.

Roy O'Donovan was the record sale for an Irish club at €1m from Cork to Sunderland.

According to McCourts wiki page Shamrock Rovers sold him to Derry for £60,000. Just shows the power of a player moving on a free that they had to settle for £100,000 for their best player.

GalwayBayBoy

McCourt is very skillful but can also be extremely lazy. He'll have to substantially up his workrate is he wants to cut it in the Premier League. Good luck to him though.

nifan

Hopefully McCourt can knuckle down and work to take this chance.
His lack of natural fitness can hamper him somewhat, but he is very talented.

his holiness nb

Never heard of him but fair play, its a huge move, hopefully it will work out for him.

Whats his position?
Ask me holy bollix

dublinfella

Quote from: his holiness nb on June 16, 2008, 04:48:57 PM
Never heard of him but fair play, its a huge move, hopefully it will work out for him.

Whats his position?

Winger - either one. Seems to be the old fashioned head down and run at players type. Tracking back doesnt appear to be part of his game. Youtube him, some serious goals in there.

Rav67

He's good in the hole just off a front man too, but the best I saw him play in the handful of Derry City games I watched was at left midfield.  He's not unlike Aiden McGeady in many respects.  A lot of people thought he's too much of a home-bird to leave Derry again  but fair play to him it would be a waste not to take another chance across the water with the talent he's got.

Solomon Kane

I saw him play at a under 21 international v the ROI a few years ago. He was a great player and could run rings round most of them, but his final ball let him dow a lot. Fair play to him and I really hope he makes it, but I think he has made too big a jump. Maybe a season on loan at a Championship club will do him no harm.

thebandit

If he had chosen to play with the North he'd have an MBE by now ;D

Chrisowc

Quote from: thebandit on June 16, 2008, 06:07:45 PM
If he had chosen to play with the North he'd have an MBE by now ;D

He already has ;)  MBE is in the post.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteHe's not unlike Aiden McGeady in many respects.

Far more skilful than McGeady. A player of genuine class, he's a pleasure to watch. Its superb to see him beating defenders in full flight. He'll be a real loss to Derry but you can't blame him for going. Staying injury free will be a huge factor in how successful he is at West Brom.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

gaagaa

mccourt to be back in ireland before the end of the season
too lazy by far

fred the red

McCourt poised for Celtic switch 

Derry City winger Pat McCourt is set to snub West Bromwich Albion for a move to Scottish giants Celtic.

City and West Brom have agreed a transfer fee for the 24-year-old but it is believed McCourt prefers to join the SPL champions.

The former Northern Ireland U21 international with be in Glasgow on Thursday for talks with Celtic.

McCourt agreed personal terms with the Baggies last week and the deal is subject to him passing a medical.

Derry have refused to disclose the fee involved but it is believed to be substantially better than West Brom's initial offer, which the club said was derisory.

Kenny had partially blamed the long, drawn out negotiations with West Brom for City's poor form in the Eircom League.

It is thought that the Midlands club's initial offer for McCourt was in the region of £50,000.

girt_giggler