Do people deserve a vote?

Started by Tankie, June 13, 2008, 10:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose

Quote from: Tankie on June 13, 2008, 10:07:05 AM
Just looking at another shockingly low turn out in this election and you have to wonder do some people deserve the right to vote, this is a huge issue that effects Ireland greatly and on 40 - 45% of people decide to vote. And if i hear another idiot saying that they did not understand it so they didnt vote or voted No I think i will just lose it. Are people that focking lazy they cannot ready the booklet that was sent out to them or go on the internet and read about it there? IMO its fairly typical of modern working class Ireland that just read headlines or posters and make up there mind without know what the hell is going on!

I think it's unfair to say that people somehow don't deserve the vote. I know personally that in the last election I tried to get my vote changed from my home county of Mayo to Dublin 14(regrettably but what can you do when the government put an election on a Thursday). I had my change of vote form sent on the Wednesday(signed by garda, the lot) and was told even if it was sent by Friday it would be alright and I could vote up in Dublin.

To be honest I knew they'd mess it up. Come election, no polling card had arrived, went down to election center, not on register of elections. No vote. end of story. Unfortunately this was the case across the country where thousands of votes were messed up, a highlighted case in the papers of a Kilkenny man in his 70's been denied his vote after over 50 years voting because of a c**k up.

As I said earlier, having it on a Thursday, dosen't help. There are many students and young professionals who are registered in their home county and would prefer to keep it there.

For this referendum, its entirely my own fault as I did not go to change it again. I let it lie.

I think I'd nearly prefer to vote in Florida.

Mentalman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2008, 11:35:55 AM
we are at times a very introverted society.

Are we Dinny? Or are we, as once Harney said, closer to Boston than Berlin? We're European, but probably more open to America than any other Western European nation, who concentrate on their trade with their EU neighbours - the EU is more important to them? Also I think Irish people are in general less likely to vote in any election or referendum due to a general malaise with our political parties - the whole FG vs FF i.e. black vs black really needs resolving. On top of that I think they are less likely to vote when issues are not clear, and this treaty did not have one single selling point to motivate people to get out there, it couldn't be crystalised on any level. Also bullying and conjoling with what "Europe" does or does not think about us isn't going to work, we're stubborn folk. Basically the political parties can't have it both ways - happy with low turnouts in general elections, bemoaning it when it happnes in referendums.

I vote in everything, irrespective. For a referendum, if I'm not convinced by the group wanting to make the change, then my default position is to maintain the status quo. I wasn't convinced on this occasion.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

magpie seanie

QuoteFor a referendum, if I'm not convinced by the group wanting to make the change, then my default position is to maintain the status quo.

I think that is the right way to be. The people are the guardians of our constitution and we should never tamper with it unless we are sure it is an improvement.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Tankie on June 13, 2008, 10:07:05 AM
Just looking at another shockingly low turn out in this election and you have to wonder do some people deserve the right to vote, this is a huge issue that effects Ireland greatly and on 40 - 45% of people decide to vote. And if i hear another idiot saying that they did not understand it so they didnt vote or voted No I think i will just lose it. Are people that focking lazy they cannot ready the booklet that was sent out to them or go on the internet and read about it there? IMO its fairly typical of modern working class Ireland that just read headlines or posters and make up there mind without know what the hell is going on!

What is the weather like up there??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hound

I'd be very much against mandatory voting. Natural selection and all that.

Dinny Breen

Mentalman, don't forget in Ireland we have an average of 70% plus for General elections whereas for European that barely surpasses 50%. Historically speaking we don't turn-out in numbers for referendums the highest turn-out was in 1972, 71% when we voted yes to join the EEC. Also I'd believe the majority of Irish are tend to vote on local issues and not national issues.

Also I think Irish people are in general less likely to vote in any election or referendum due to a general malaise with our political parties - the whole FG vs FF i.e. black vs black really needs resolving.

Couldn't agree more but what is the solution?
#newbridgeornowhere

Mentalman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2008, 12:13:02 PM
Mentalman, don't forget in Ireland we have an average of 70% plus for General elections whereas for European that barely surpasses 50%. Historically speaking we don't turn-out in numbers for referendums the highest turn-out was in 1972, 71% when we voted yes to join the EEC. Also I'd believe the majority of Irish are tend to vote on local issues and not national issues.

Also I think Irish people are in general less likely to vote in any election or referendum due to a general malaise with our political parties - the whole FG vs FF i.e. black vs black really needs resolving.

Couldn't agree more but what is the solution?

Are our turnouts that high? I didn't realise that. I thought they've been falling steadily with each passing election.

As for the second point, I thought after the previous election that FG would split into it's constituent parts eventually - i.e. social democrat and christian democrat - but the the last election has ensured they will ber around for a long while yet.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

thebandit

Its very hard to vote on things which aren't explained to you - safest thing to do in that instance is vote no, no matter what the circumstances

Dinny Breen

I should point out the overall aveage is falling, in 2002 we had only a 63% turnout but this was backup to 67% in 2007.  In 1970 it was 78%.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bogball XV

We should also remember when trying to assess our turnout that our electoral roll is a mess and several hundred thousand extra voters exist on the roll.

Hound

Quote from: thebandit on June 13, 2008, 12:27:27 PM
Its very hard to vote on things which aren't explained to you - safest thing to do in that instance is vote no, no matter what the circumstances
"things you can't understand", rather than "things which aren't explained to you"

Billys Boots

QuoteVoting apathy doesn't bother me that much as surly its as much as someones right not to vote as it is to vote as long as they have that choice. No?

I don't think anyone has a right not to vote, that's too easy and too lazy, and an excuse frankly.  If they don't want to vote for any candidate, then they can post a blank paper, or can spoil their vote.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hound

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 13, 2008, 12:56:50 PM
QuoteVoting apathy doesn't bother me that much as surly its as much as someones right not to vote as it is to vote as long as they have that choice. No?

I don't think anyone has a right not to vote, that's too easy and too lazy, and an excuse frankly.  If they don't want to vote for any candidate, then they can post a blank paper, or can spoil their vote.
What if they're too thick Billy? They havent a clue, and they couldnt care less. IMO they should not be forced to vote for someone

Billys Boots

QuoteIMO they should not be forced to vote for someone

They're not - but they should still have to turn up and hand in their voting card.  The vast majority of them will be shamed into participating in some form or another.  It will also scare the living bejaysus out of the political elite to think that these f**king clowns are actually voting.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

QuoteI don't think anyone has a right not to vote, that's too easy and too lazy, and an excuse frankly. 

So Billy you don't believe in free will and the freedom of choice.

QuoteIf they don't want to vote for any candidate, then they can post a blank paper, or can spoil their vote.

I say implicit you say explicit, same result.
#newbridgeornowhere