Do people deserve a vote?

Started by Tankie, June 13, 2008, 10:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Just looking at another shockingly low turn out in this election and you have to wonder do some people deserve the right to vote, this is a huge issue that effects Ireland greatly and on 40 - 45% of people decide to vote. And if i hear another idiot saying that they did not understand it so they didnt vote or voted No I think i will just lose it. Are people that focking lazy they cannot ready the booklet that was sent out to them or go on the internet and read about it there? IMO its fairly typical of modern working class Ireland that just read headlines or posters and make up there mind without know what the hell is going on!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Hardy

You have a good point. France and Holland had > 60% turnouts in their referendums on this. Denmark consistently exceeds 80% in EU referendums. Whatever one's views on the substantive issue, you couldn't blame Europeans for being pissed off at us if we vote No on such a low turnout.

Billys Boots

Quoteyou couldn't blame Europeans for being pissed off at us if we vote No on such a low turnout.

And we'll deserve what's coming to us too.  Voting should be obligatory, especially as we seem to think we should have a say about absolutely everything.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenexile

I dunno lads I live up North and have never voted in my life.

Yes I understand the importance of the vote and the trials and tribulations many have faced in order to obtain this basic human right but for me I don't feel that any of our political figures deserve my vote. I would take a keen enough interest in politics but as a Nationalist I don't feel that Sinn Féin or the SDLP represent my way of thinking.

I feel I'd rather not vote than stick my name down for someone that I'm 'supposed' to vote for just becasue I'm a Nationalist even though I have absolutely no faith in them delivering anything worthwhile.

As for the Lisbon Treaty well I think it is a disgrace that people didn't vote for it and to say they didn't understand it is lazy! To be honest though I think most of the voters didn't care what it was and didn't even bother their arse to find out and as most of society are doing now are just leaving things up to everyone else thinking that it won't affect them to greatly!

bingobus

Made the Wife go out at 9.30 and vote last night. It is totally taken for granted, out of 8 of us in the office only 3 of us voted. Two out of two for the men, 1 out of 6 for the women. There are burnt Bras turning in their graves  ;D

bingobus

Quote from: screenexile on June 13, 2008, 10:34:50 AM
I dunno lads I live up North and have never voted in my life.

Not to worry, I'm sure others voted for you  ;)  ;D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 13, 2008, 10:26:38 AM
Quoteyou couldn't blame Europeans for being pissed off at us if we vote No on such a low turnout.

And we'll deserve what's coming to us too.  Voting should be obligatory, especially as we seem to think we should have a say about absolutely everything.

I agree, people who don't use their vote pisses me off too. Apathy seems to be one of modern societies major weaknesses.

Billy you wanna explain that highlighted piece of sensationalism ?
Tbc....

nifan

Screenexile - im the same as you, i dont vote either for pretty much the reasons you express.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Hardy on June 13, 2008, 10:23:03 AM
You have a good point. France and Holland had > 60% turnouts in their referendums on this. Denmark consistently exceeds 80% in EU referendums. Whatever one's views on the substantive issue, you couldn't blame Europeans for being pissed off at us if we vote No on such a low turnout.
And France and Holland voted against the constitution but it was brought back via the treaty so what was the point, for similar examples in Ireland see the Nice treaty vote.
Maybe what we need is mandatory voting?  But surely, if someone doesn't want to vote, that's their business. 
When castigating people for this you should remember that many irish people reside in places other than where they're registered to vote, thus the familar FF tactic of organising votes for thursday nights will always keep turnout artificially low, and I don't think that people should be made register to vote in the area they reside for 5 days a week.

Mentalman

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 13, 2008, 10:26:38 AM
Voting should be obligatory, especially as we seem to think we should have a say about absolutely everything.

Agree 100% with that, similar to Australia. It would also wake up the cosy political elite here if they actually had to consider the less well off, as they would actually vote, not just home owners. Also people would be able to just wash their hands of referendum results such as Nice. And you never know, we might actually move to true politics, not this homogenous post civil war morass we have now.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Dinny Breen

Voting apathy doesn't bother me that much as surly its as much as someones right not to vote as it is to vote as long as they have that choice. No?

This is a European thing as well throughout Europe must Europeans feels disenfranchised towards the European Union, this is reflected in European elections...

Someone mentioned Denmark..

For General Elections their turnout is 87% for Europe 50%

Sweden

88% and 39%

UK

72% and 32%

Germany 85% and 58%

And in fairness I beleve the Media and the Government are culpable in the coverage given or lack off towards the Lisbon treaty. The Broadsheets seemed more interested in the Mahon tribunal and the tabloids in who has the biggest tits on BB9....
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Nothing will change while we have this anti-democratic party system and the cabbage candidates that we have to vote for.

Hardy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 13, 2008, 11:05:00 AM
Someone mentioned Denmark..

That was me.

For General Elections their turnout is 87% for Europe 50%

I got my information from Morning Ireland, who said they get 80%+ in European referendums, not European elections.

Dinny Breen

For the treaty of Amsterdam they had a turn-out of 76% which would be the most comparable but for the  Maastricht and the Euro which was as result of the No vote to Maastricht it was in the 80 percentile. Denmark in fairness seem to be the exception perhaps it would be more interesting why it is so high there as opposed to here, perhaps been an island has something to do with it, we are at times a very introverted society.
#newbridgeornowhere

brokencrossbar1

There is a simple answer to this.

Make voting obigatory, if you are like screen and Nifan, you can make your views expressed by doing a Monty Brewster and voting for none of the above, a spoiled vote is a vote nonetheless.

Our house was a neutral house, 1 yes, 1 no but we still saw it as our duty to do it no matter if it makes no real difference.