RTÉ radio up north? and some other random thoughts

Started by scalder, June 12, 2008, 01:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scalder

Folks I was up in North Down last week and wondered about something, I lost RTÉ radio at about Newry but I'm sure when I was up before I had RTÉ and Today FM all the way as far as Jordanstown (well thats where I was going to). Question is, has my radio become less sensistive or is RTÉ no longer recieved away from border areas?

Further to this I don't think we'll see a united Ireland within this century - hope I'm wrong but thats my opinion. How do we then go about making the north less more acceptable to nationailists, how do we in effect lessen the impact of partition and make the north less foreign?

Things like schools and the cirriculum, radio and TV, the currency, the road signs, language all make the expeirence over the border different from the south. To me I thought the GFA was about parity and equality but it seems the state is still a very British one and surely the aim should be for it have dual identity?

Donagh

Quote from: scalder on June 12, 2008, 01:54:40 PM
Folks I was up in North Down last week and wondered about something, I lost RTÉ radio at about Newry but I'm sure when I was up before I had RTÉ and Today FM all the way as far as Jordanstown (well thats where I was going to). Question is, has my radio become less sensistive or is RTÉ no longer recieved away from border areas?

Further to this I don't think we'll see a united Ireland within this century - hope I'm wrong but thats my opinion. How do we then go about making the north less more acceptable to nationailists, how do we in effect lessen the impact of partition and make the north less foreign?

Things like schools and the cirriculum, radio and TV, the currency, the road signs, language all make the expeirence over the border different from the south. To me I thought the GFA was about parity and equality but it seems the state is still a very British one and surely the aim should be for it have dual identity?

What frequency were you on? RTE1 in the north is now using the old LyricFM frequency of 87.8FM but is still patchy. TodayFM can be received even up as far as Torr Head and is the only authentic national broadcaster.

Uladh

Quote from: Donagh on June 12, 2008, 02:00:57 PM
TodayFM can be received even up as far as Torr Head and is the only authentic national broadcaster.

Well how come most of their competitions can only be entered via 1850 numbers and thus exclude northerners from entering?

scalder - I would have thought that if you wished to achieve a united ierland you would endevour to make the north less palatable to nationalists?

armaghniac

QuoteWell how come most of their competitions can only be entered via 1850 numbers

They usually have a northern number too.

However there should be an All Ireland freephone number, then no need to have two.
One or both of the 6 county nationalist parties should be up off their behinds and get a telecoms policy

1. all Ireland freephone numbers
2. a distinct code range for NI mobiles so that calls to them can be charged as Irish numbers
3. clear NI range of IP numbers, so people can watch GAA on RTE
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donagh

Quote from: Uladh on June 12, 2008, 02:08:02 PM
Well how come most of their competitions can only be entered via 1850 numbers and thus exclude northerners from entering?

True, I've complained to them a few times about that and not received a satisfactory answer. No such problems when Dunphy was doing the Last Word.

Uladh

Yes, i've complained quite a bit myself to them with no joy.

bring back eamo baby

ziggysego

At the very least, The Sunday Game should have duel numbers and texts.
Testing Accessibility

scalder

"scalder - I would have thought that if you wished to achieve a united ierland you would endevour to make the north less palatable to nationalists?"

Uladh - I realise this as being probably true but I can hardly suggest that we look to adopt mesures to make it a "cold place for Nationalists" now can I? If you do beleive a united ireland is on the cards then surely it would make sense to move towards a more integrated island rather than unification being a total shock to the system. For me if Unitiy is not on the cards then I would like the see us working to make the impact of the border less and less.

Main Street

Besides Tony, then there's a fair few more competition junkies up North.

Pangurban

I cant now receive R.T.E. Radio programmes in Co.Down. They are no longer a national broadcasting station, they are national joke and an absolute disgrace. I will content myself listening to Radio Poland or some other European station who are at least capable of transmitting a receivable signal.

Fishbat

Quote from: scalder on June 12, 2008, 01:54:40 PM

Did ye have your aerial up?!

I don't know where you are from Scalder, but i see a very different North emerging - as a matter of fact Ulster in general will again become the major bastion of Gaelic culture in Ireland in the coming years - the rise of the language must and will be to the forefront.

There is an inexorable hunger for our culture in Ulster that has maybe been diluted in the other provinces.

I would like to see more tourists around our part, but i suppose that will take some time - we should be making much bigger shakes out of our Gaelic historical sites, we have towns and villages in the North that are every bit as quaintly Irish and possibly more genuine than the usual ones tourists head for

armaghniac

QuoteI cant now receive R.T.E. Radio programmes in Co.Down

Why can you not receive the Long Wave signal?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B