Áth Cliath vs Iarmhí

Started by AN other, June 11, 2008, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AN other

I take your point to an extent, but only to the extent that the effect may not be as big on the team as it would be for Westmeath as you have explained. I still think it lifts the Dubs every single match.
The only way to quieten the crowd is to get on top in the game and effectively beat the crowd advantage!
We might just have to agree to disagree...

AZOffaly

I think we're agreeing to agree, regarding the impact on the Dubs.

Regarding the impact on, for example, Westmeath, I think it's really a question of Westmeath's psychology. A lot of lads playing in a bias environment find it lifts them, as they are really up for 'shutting' the crowd up.

I suppose what I'm saying is that it'll give the Dubs a bit of a lift, but not as much as it would if they weren't already used to it, and it will either inspire or frighten Westmeath, and as Indiana says, they've experienced it before, so I'd imagine it'll inspire them.

Offaly froze twice against Dublin. Mayo were inspired. Kerry just were Kerry.

Croí na hÉireann

On the crowd issue, having 3/4's of the fans in your corner is certainly an advantage to any team, just ask Munster. However it can also go against you if the dayouters are silenced or giving out. The time to quieten them is about 10 mins from the end... Regarding Westmeath's psychology, well they've done well in the second halves in Clones, Cork, Parnell Park and Navan so hopefully they're mentally tough enough...

Quote from: INDIANA on June 25, 2008, 01:56:46 PM
I disagree Croi and this is why.

I think you seriously underestimate your team and the fact that your manager knows absolutely everything about each Dublin player through his involvement in Kilmacud Crokes over the past 15 years. There are no gamble selections on the Westmeath team. Half of them have won Leinster championships (beating Dublin) and are all experienced inter county footballers.

No underestimating here Indiana, I know exactly what we're capable of and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly this year. This team is teak tough and will fight to the bitter end, hopefully it's enough...

Fennell has been a terrific find but this is a 75000 crowd on Sunday against a noted midfield pairing. Dublin's lynchpin midfielder is on the line. I believe personally its the correct call Croi, but its still a gamble. And he's under huge pressure because a lot of Dublin fans want Whelan in the team.

Like you said it's the correct call and every teamsheet is a gamble. Westmeaths lynchpin midfielder is "hopefully" on the line so we're starting behind the 8 ball.

I suppose Connollly is the one i'm a tad disappointed about although I could be accused of bias. After the club season he's had i find it difficult to believe he's not one of our best 6 forwards remembering that he is the most natural forward in the county. Yeah he's a great option on the bench but i can't help feeling if he was in Kerry he's be starting. In other words i'd think he'd be more effective starting on the team.

You couldn't argue against him starting in the half forwards as Phlem has always had a dogsbody at 10 and Bernard Brogan is tried and trusted. Only option would be to push Bernard inside instead of Quinn but that'd be too big a gamble and you'd lose your freetaker. I couldn't think of a worse Dublin team to face...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 25, 2008, 12:16:40 PM
First time I can remember that Phlem Caffrey has put out his strongest available team, trust him to do it against us  >:( we're right up against it, especially with the loss of Flan...

'Phlem'?

thehulk!!

to be honest lads call a spade a spade two very poor teams that wont have any bearing on anything in september

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2008, 02:57:38 PM
First time I can remember that Phlem Caffrey has put out his strongest available team, trust him to do it against us  >:( we're right up against it, especially with the loss of Flan...

'Phlem'?

Anytime the camera pans around to him on the sideline he's coughing it up...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 25, 2008, 03:55:00 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2008, 02:57:38 PM

'Phlem'?

Anytime the camera pans around to him on the sideline he's coughing it up...

Indeed.

Gnevin

Quote from: thehulk!! on June 25, 2008, 03:42:14 PM
to be honest lads call a spade a spade two very poor teams that wont have any bearing on anything in september
And you in your expert opinion will?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Jinxy

Don't make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DUBSFORSAM1

Well I think it is nearly the strongest team that we could have put out and only query I would have is Flynn in ahead of Whelan but thats a management decision...

Good to see talent like Griffen, Casey, Whelan, Magee, Connolly, Vaughan etc available to come off the bench if required is a great boost - admittedly pity Brennan no longer available this season.....

Indiana - Think you are being deliberately pessimistic about Dublin's chances to be honest and think Dublin have to be good favourites as we have more scoring options, stronger bench and overall a stronger team - when you go back to 2004 you seem to forget 2006 when we had a very easy win and in 04 we kicked ourselves out of that game (our own fault and they deserved to win)...

INDIANA

DSFM i simply don't share the blind optimism of other Dublin fans. You will get at the Dublin backs if you go about it the right way. Not one of the full back line is a natural in their position. Westmeath have the backs to hold the Dublin forwards but whether they have enough firepower will decide their chances on Sunday. Their forward line has to have a blinder and if I was O Flaharta that's what I'd be telling them, they have to have a fantastic game for Westmeath to win. If their forwards play well they can win. If they don't Dublin will pull away with 20 to go and win by 6-7 points.
Wexford have the forwards to really get at the full back line but i think the Dublin forwards will make shite of the Wexford defence and will score more IF Dublin progress past sunday.
Its beyond that IF we progress I cannot see Dublin landing the big one with the current defence inclusive of all 6 backs. Thats my opinion, its been our achilles heel and we more or less have the same personnel as last season
Also Dublin will win nothing without Diarmuid Connolly on the pitch thats my firm belief, he's shooting the lights out in training and i cannot believe he hasn't been selected especially on the back of the meath game and his form with St Vincents.

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on June 25, 2008, 10:04:22 PM
Also Dublin will win nothing without Diarmuid Connolly on the pitch thats my firm belief, he's shooting the lights out in training and i cannot believe he hasn't been selected especially on the back of the meath game and his form with St Vincents.
Yeah, but who would you drop?

He's behind Quinn (and Vaughan) in free taking terms.

Flynn (or similar) is needed as an extra ball winner. Kerry have some fantastic footballers on the bench, but the best 6 footballers never get the six forward positions. Hence Paul Galvin always plays (when available!) despite there being far better footballers who could take his place, because Galvin brings other qualities.

And no way, at this stage, would I drop any of Keaney, Sherlock or the Brogans. As you know as well as anyone, Connolly on his day might be better than most or all of them, but he's not consistent enough. He has far more off days, as he proved in Vincents run to the All Ireland. There were a couple of games where he was anonymous.

Having said that he should play an important role in every game, and has a big contribution to make. This is not a 15 man game. As you say it unlikely Dublin will win anything without him on the pitch, but he will be on the pitch, just not as a starter.  Unless one of the others has a dip in form or fitness, in which case he should be brought in to start - but its the right decision to have him as forward number 7. Its actually a good sign that a player such as Connolly can't get in - we're not there but we are getting closer to Kerry in terms of strength in depth (re forwards anyway) - now need to carry it through to performances!

As for our backs, I don't think we can do much better than we have, save Griffin coming back when fit. There was an obvious weakness in the centre of our defence v Louth, and I think Cahill would be the better man to fill it, but I can't blame Pillar for giving Cullen a chance to rectify matters.

INDIANA

Sorry Hound you're completely wrong on that, he had one off day, the leinster club final for Vincents. He was the differenence, in us winning the All-Ireland ie the player who gave us that little bit extra and i stand by stating that he'd be better appreciated in other counties. The all-ireland club semi and final he was outstanding. he was outstanding in the latter stages of the dublin championship as well.
In my team he'd be ahead of Sherlock and Sherlock would be the impact sub, but i'm obviously in the outright minority on that and thats fair enough everyone has their opinion, but you won't get the best out of diarmuid from the bench i'm afraid, i've never seen him effective in that role.
Galvin is amuch better footballer than he gets credit for, his scoring tallied show that , its a myth that he's just  a ball-winner.
I don't think he could have done much different with the defence either, but it will be our undoing this year. I can't see us landing the big one with that defence, especially the last line.

Jinxy

Don't think Connolly has the head for intercounty championship. Unless he has matured since last year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

well he looked all right turning darren fay inside out recently. His head wasn't right last year for it but i thnk he'll be much different this year he's not even 21 yet, people tend to forget that.