Áth Cliath vs Iarmhí

Started by AN other, June 11, 2008, 12:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

I don't think its a coincidence that Dublin's strike rate was about 40% in the first half and over 75% in the second v Louth. Far easier to kick scores when under no pressure. Therefore I think the 1-22 is irrelevant when trying to estimate what Dublin will score the next day.

It was also noticeable that anytime Louth ran at us, they cut through us down the middle like a hot knife through butter. Its probably a bit harsh to blame it all on Cullen, but he was noticeably flailing when forlornly chasing lads who'd got by him.

I think Fennell's contribution has been over-rated. He has done well, but he's a long way from All Star potential. He seems to have great heart, he's a great man to win a ball, and when he gets his hand on the ball he rarely drops it, but when the opposition are in possession his lack of pace and athleticism is a weakness.

I really like our full back line. But even against Louth each one of them got the run-around at least once. And while Ross has done excellently for a young lad being played out of position, in such an important position, the fact remains he's still very much learning how to play the role, and will make mistakes.

This game is far from in the bag, and while I'd be hopeful of winning because of our strong forward line and we should have a good bench, ignoring that Westmeath beat us comprehenisvely in the league final would be perilous.

DUBSFORSAM1

Hound - How can the league final be relevant when we were without McConnell/Shocko/Griffen in the full back line, Casey/Cahill playing out of position there instead, Whelan/Fennell missing from midfield and Brogan, Brogan and Quinn missing from the forward line?

Hound

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 13, 2008, 08:22:39 AM
Hound - How can the league final be relevant when we were without McConnell/Shocko/Griffen in the full back line, Casey/Cahill playing out of position there instead, Whelan/Fennell missing from midfield and Brogan, Brogan and Quinn missing from the forward line?
Both teams were missing their best forward. In addition the return of Bernard Brogan and a partner for Ryan should significantly improve Dublin, and we will have a better bench, but there is a deserved five point deficit to over-come, and it would be foolish in the extreme to ignore how Westmeath accomplished that. 

INDIANA

it's quite relevent because you were the one champagning our strength in depth which was found severely lacking that night and blew that theory out of the water. you seem to think these guys are going to be a walk in the park. most of them beat dublin in croke park in 2004 so they aren't going to be fearful of playing dublin in front a near enough full house.
I agree with almost everything Hound says. I don;t think the louth game was any benefit whatsoever in the long run especially as they packed it in with 25 to go, and i think these guys are going to give us a hell of a battle.

AN other

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 12, 2008, 07:08:16 PM
Well when you see a keeper 15 yards from his goal and forwards putting it into an empty net that is terrible

Perhaps you're right, but I didn't consider the Offaly keeper at fault for any of Westmeath's goals. I certainly wouldn't have classed his performance as terrible.
Although it's a little frustrating to read you giving absolutely no acknowledgement to anything Westmeath have done this year or years past, I hope there's plenty of similar attitudes to your own within the Dublin team and management and few of the informed, considered and balanced ones that the majority of Dublin posters here seem to be offering so far... There is the possiblity that Dublin will blow Westmeath off the park but I think it will have to be a very much under par performance from Westmeath for this to happen and it's attitudes like your own that would make a Westmeath victory very sweet indeed.

heffo

Quote from: AN other on June 13, 2008, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 12, 2008, 07:08:16 PM
Well when you see a keeper 15 yards from his goal and forwards putting it into an empty net that is terrible

Perhaps you're right, but I didn't consider the Offaly keeper at fault for any of Westmeath's goals. I certainly wouldn't have classed his performance as terrible.
Although it's a little frustrating to read you giving absolutely no acknowledgement to anything Westmeath have done this year or years past, I hope there's plenty of similar attitudes to your own within the Dublin team and management and few of the informed, considered and balanced ones that the majority of Dublin posters here seem to be offering so far... There is the possiblity that Dublin will blow Westmeath off the park but I think it will have to be a very much under par performance from Westmeath for this to happen and it's attitudes like your own that would make a Westmeath victory very sweet indeed.

I don't think anyone is underestimating Westmeath or think theres going to be a cricket score in it either way, as most posters from Dublin are alluding to..it's going to be very tight.

I do think Dublin will edge it in the last 15 minutes, but W/Meath have a very good full back line, good midfield, v good forwards and are very accurate from frees, though Keane seems to have the hex over Vaughan, so maybe he won't be as tight on whoever he picks up (Brogan?)

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on June 13, 2008, 08:54:52 AM
it's quite relevent because you were the one champagning our strength in depth which was found severely lacking that night and blew that theory out of the water. you seem to think these guys are going to be a walk in the park. most of them beat dublin in croke park in 2004 so they aren't going to be fearful of playing dublin in front a near enough full house.

In fairness though Indiana, it looked like we had far better strength in depth from numbers 16-22 or so..especially compared to years gone by when we had no-one on the bench to change things (Tyrone replay 2005)...

AN other

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2008, 09:51:28 AM
I don't think anyone is underestimating Westmeath or think theres going to be a cricket score in it either way, as most posters from Dublin are alluding to..it's going to be very tight.

Most are yes.

heffo

Quote from: AN other on June 13, 2008, 10:00:54 AM

Most are yes.

Who? The ra ra ra brigade who take their lead from the Herald or Dublin supporters who understand how football works?

AN other

Most posters from Dublin are predicting a tight enough game Heffo, as I alluded to myself... everybody apart from DFS basically...

heffo

Quote from: AN other on June 13, 2008, 10:08:23 AM
Most posters from Dublin are predicting a tight enough game Heffo, as I alluded to myself... everybody apart from DFS basically...

DFS is as entitled to his opinion as the rest of us...how do you think it's going to go - prediction with your head, not your heart!

INDIANA

it is to a point stronger heffo, obviously connolly,andrews will be a hell of an impact sub along with vaughan, but i'm not sure he'll even be used by the current management. i'm worried about cover at the back. Griffin is only back, nolan,mc mahon etc very inexprienced although talented. we've little or no cover there for injuries. we're covered well elsewhere, but we're in particular trouble in the full back line if we ship a few injuries.

AN other

Keane seems to have the hex over Vaughan, so maybe he won't be as tight on whoever he picks up (Brogan?)

Keane is pretty likely to pick up A Brogan alright, but it may be Kieran Gavin. There's the potential for some really good duels between Westmeath backs/Dublin forwards. Keane/A Brogan, Gavin/Keaney, Healy or Ennis/B Brogan, Heavin/Sherlock, Boyle/Quinn.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on June 13, 2008, 10:13:15 AM
it is to a point stronger heffo, obviously connolly,andrews will be a hell of an impact sub along with vaughan, but i'm not sure he'll even be used by the current management. i'm worried about cover at the back. Griffin is only back, nolan,mc mahon etc very inexprienced although talented. we've little or no cover there for injuries. we're covered well elsewhere, but we're in particular trouble in the full back line if we ship a few injuries.

I agree, though if you asked us prior to the parnell handbags had we a stronger panel this year (before Brennan left), I think you'd have said 100% yes.

WRT Andrews - he was unlucky this year in not getting more game time - he did his hammer prior to one of the league games after being named and Murray stepped, then got suspended against Meath - though Pillar could have definitly used some of the fringe players more in the O'Byrne cup/league - madness bringing the likes of Alan Brogan on against Wicklow...

AN other

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2008, 10:11:11 AM
DFS is as entitled to his opinion as the rest of us...how do you think it's going to go - prediction with your head, not your heart!

I don't recall saying DFS isn't entitled to his opinion. (Please don't find an incriminating post this time ;))

I think it is pretty likely to go the way that most Dubs here have predicted and as I've said previously Dublin are of course favourites. I think it's going to be tight enough but Dublin will be expected to pull through. (16th man advantages and all that as much as anything else  ;D)
There is also the possibility (small enough as I think it is) that Dublin will win convincingly and then it's just a case of DFS, right - AN other and alot of Dub posters here, wrong.