Irish any chance of reaching world cup 2010?

Started by useername, June 09, 2008, 04:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

useername

i dont like to look too far ahead, but all this football is getting my excited, ireland havent qualified for major tournament since 2002,

i think trapatoni and tardelli etc. have the passion to turn things around,

players such as doyle, robbie keane, duffer, dunne, given, could all grace a top 4 side,

anyone agree ireland have under achieved in recent years under kerr and staunton?

stew

Ireland are ket and wont come close to qualifying. That said the Republic are in with a shout and I hope they can make it.

The underage teams are a shambles, i have watched a few U21 games and they are brutal.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Chrisowc

Quote from: stew on June 09, 2008, 04:37:18 PM
Ireland are ket and wint come close to qualifying. That said the Republic are in with a shout and I hope they can make it.

The underage teams are a shambles, i have watched a few U21 games and they are brutal.

I thought that was 'wesaysanchez' for a second :D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Group 8
Italy
Bulgaria
Republic of Ireland
Cyprus
Georgia
Montenegro

The games will start in September 2008 and nine clubs will qualify directly whilst the best eight second-placed teams with be involved in home and away play offs for the remaining four places.

With only the top team automatically going through, we could give that to Italy (for the sake of arguing).
There are no easy teams in Europe now, but I would hope that we could beat Montenegro, Georgia and Cyprus (i know, i know) both at home and away, this leaves us with Bulgaria and Italy, I reckon a home win over Bulgaria, and any result at home to Italy will see us get to the play-offs, Christ with that scenerio, we could even top the group!  :o ;) ;D
Tbc....

T Fearon

It should be between ourselves and Bulgaria for second place. As they have only two decent players, Petrov (Martin not Stan) and Berbatov, we have every reason to be optimistic. A draw in Sofia and a home win should do the trick. No way is this group anywhere near as tough as the 2002 qualifiers and we ended up qualifying so I amvery confident

doire na raithe

I think ireland have an outside chance of qualifying but in general the future is very bleak. Even at the end of the charlton years we had the prospect of a great group of young players coming through, keane and duff etc. Doesnt seem to be any talent close to that comin through.  

Yes I Would

Its the away trips to Bulgaria, Cyprus, Georgia and Montenegro that id be concerned about. Think they wont have any trouble raising themselves for the Italians, although cant see us beating them home or away. Its the away trips to these other hell holes that worry me. Some of these sides are vastly improved.  Cyprus definitely wont be fearing us!!

Unfortunately dont have much optimism for this group of players, although Scotland almost and should have proved that with a limited enough squad qualification can be obtained.
Dont buy into notion that any of the top four premiership sides would be interested in any of our lads with the exception possibly Dunne. The others have missed the boat. Mc Geady has potential but needs to start delivering on it for us to qualify.

A good start is going to be a must !!

Over the Bar

Quotethe best eight second-placed teams with be involved in home and away play offs for the remaining four places.

We'd need to be exceptionally lucky and draw a weaker team in the play-off.  We are sh*te at play-offs!

ONeill

Quote from: useername on June 09, 2008, 04:23:11 PM

players such as doyle, robbie keane, duffer, dunne, given, could all grace a top 4 side,

With the possible exception of Given at his best, no.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Donagh

Does that O'Shea fella not play for the European champions? 

Yes I Would

Warms the bench for them usually, and if his past performances in a green jersey are anything to go by, its surprising he even still gets this privilege!!

ONeill

Quote from: Donagh on June 10, 2008, 11:53:28 PM
Does that O'Shea fella not play for the European champions? 

John O'Shea graces Manchester United?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Goats Do Shave

The Italians will have a lot of changes after the Euro's!

Can't remember the fixtures, but I'd like to get them early doors!

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009