Computer Help

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 04, 2008, 07:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

google them, i also do control/alt/dele and processes to see whats in there and then delete the files/folders of whatever shouldnt be there
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 26, 2008, 09:39:11 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on July 26, 2008, 02:32:34 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on July 26, 2008, 12:31:56 PM
how do you stop a programme starting when you turn your computer on? I have Zone Alarm and I dont want to delete, just stop it from running at thr start
Go to Start>Run
Type in msconfig
Click ok
On the window that pops up there is a startup tab with all the programs that run when your computer starts. 
Just take the tick away from the ones you don't want to start.

Thanks ME. I never knew how to do that....There are about 20 ticked boxes there. How do I know which I need, and which are crap.

In the list if you extend out the command tab, it will give you the path of the file, e.g. c:\Program Files\......  etc
If you extend that out to see the full path you will see what folder it is in and that might give you an idea of the program and whether you need it to startup every time the computer starts. 

Make sure any antivirus software is ticked. 
Take the tick away from any programs you wouldn't use regularly, e.g. on mine, Scanner Software, Nokia PC Suite etc etc
On my list I have 12 ticked and 30 unticked. 

You may find that removing any unecessary things will help speed up your computer slightly. 

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Shortso79

Tried booting up my PC there now - but this error comes up

Primary Master Hard Drive Fail

Anyone any tips ?

Says above the error the following :

The Primary Master : Maxtor CALYPSO YAR42CWZ

mhacadoir

Help!

my laptop has windows vista. it started reconfiguring updates but has just stayed on 0% for ages, keep shutting down and goin back on to the same page. looks as if the page has frozen except that it keeps shutting down. any suggestions?

ardmhachaabu

Install Windows XP instead of Vista  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Mhic Easmuint

A friends Dell Desktop had the same problem recently, it booted up and went through configuring updates, then rebooted and continuously went back to the same thing again. 
To eventually get it fixed again I had to restore the factory image. 
But there is a few things which could be tried first. 
Sort of from memory as I haven't used Vista much, when it starts botting keep tapping the F8 key.
This will give you a menu with Safe mode etc at the top.  Down near the bottom there is an option to for Advanced Startup Options or Advanced Repair.
When it starts there is an option for startup repair.  Try that to see if it repairs it. 
If not try the next option on the list - System Restore. 
There may be other options but one of them may be to Resotre the Factory image which will wipe your hard drive, so if you have any important documents, it may be possible to get them backed up first. 

mhacadoir

cheers! i will give that a go!  :)

Square Ball

I have a problem when down loading, the speed is going along well then all of a sudden it starts to decrease right down to 0, then it sits there doing nothing thenit starts up again. is this normal? If not any solutions?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Square Ball on October 25, 2008, 07:36:22 PM
I have a problem when down loading, the speed is going along well then all of a sudden it starts to decrease right down to 0, then it sits there doing nothing thenit starts up again. is this normal? If not any solutions?

When download speed varies wildly it is normally cos some spyware got onto your pc. Download Superantispyware & malwarebytes anti malmare software and do a scan of your pc with each. See if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work come back to me.

Square Ball

MTS, I downloaded those files and they didn't find anything, I use Ad-Aware, Zone Alarm and Avg and I regularly run these to get rid of sypware and the like, any other ideas?

All help appreciated

Handy

Square Ball

Quote from: Handy on October 26, 2008, 08:46:41 PM
Disable zone alarm!

when I am down loading I do disable Zone alarm as It wont let me use Pirate bay

J70

Quote from: Square Ball on October 26, 2008, 08:42:53 PM
MTS, I downloaded those files and they didn't find anything, I use Ad-Aware, Zone Alarm and Avg and I regularly run these to get rid of sypware and the like, any other ideas?

All help appreciated

Get some decent subscription security programs. I know everyone has different opinions on all this stuff, but the free stuff only gives you so much protection, Zone Alarm firewall excepted.

Square Ball

I have the pay ones, well for free if you know what I mean