Computer Help

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 04, 2008, 07:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 04, 2008, 08:58:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2008, 08:35:08 PM
Download CCleaner. It deletes all that kind of crap, among other useful stuff.

:o
It is not crap!

It's beatiful!

Thought you werent allowed?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on June 04, 2008, 11:27:29 PM

It is not crap!

It's beatiful!

I'm not, but I hear about it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Treasurer

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 04, 2008, 11:50:48 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on June 04, 2008, 11:27:29 PM

It is not crap!

It's beatiful!

I'm not, but I hear about it.

Amazing waht you can hear online these days.....

Square Ball

how do you stop a programme starting when you turn your computer on? I have Zone Alarm and I dont want to delete, just stop it from running at thr start
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Square Ball on July 26, 2008, 12:31:56 PM
how do you stop a programme starting when you turn your computer on? I have Zone Alarm and I dont want to delete, just stop it from running at thr start
Go to Start>Run
Type in msconfig
Click ok
On the window that pops up there is a startup tab with all the programs that run when your computer starts. 
Just take the tick away from the ones you don't want to start.

heffo

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on July 26, 2008, 02:32:34 PM
Go to Start>Run
Type in msconfig
Click ok
On the window that pops up there is a startup tab with all the programs that run when your computer starts. 

If you don't have XP, google 'msconfig' and save it to C:\Winnt\system32 or C:\Windows\system32..

J70

CCleaner has an option to fiddle about with your start-up programmes. Everyone should download it anyway as its a very handy free programme for cleaning up caches and sorting out registry errors.

Square Ball

Go to Start>Run
Type in msconfig
Click ok

i done that and worked, the computer restarted and I got an error message, had to go back into msconfig and go into the general tab and Zone Alarm was still there,

J70

Quote from: Square Ball on July 26, 2008, 08:06:13 PM
Go to Start>Run
Type in msconfig
Click ok

i done that and worked, the computer restarted and I got an error message, had to go back into msconfig and go into the general tab and Zone Alarm was still there,

What Zone Alarm package do you have? Just the firewall or the complete internet security package? And why would you not want a firewall to open?

Square Ball

I have the pro one, there was an update a few weeks ago for xp, after updating it I couldnt connect to the internet when it started, so i had to turn it off all the time. I use it for the the spywear sweeper so i want to keep it

J70

Quote from: Square Ball on July 26, 2008, 08:28:35 PM
I have the pro one, there was an update a few weeks ago for xp, after updating it I couldnt connect to the internet when it started, so i had to turn it off all the time. I use it for the the spywear sweeper so i want to keep it

They're supposed to have that problem fixed at this stage, so check the Zone Alarm updates. Even without their fix, the solution is just to turn down the firewall settings to medium (I had the same problem). I would not go on the internet without a firewall though.

J70

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2325256,00.asp

ZoneAlarm Users Lose Internet After XP Update

by Chloe Albanesius

A number of consumers running Check Point's ZoneAlarm security software on Windows XP lost Internet connectivity Tuesday night after Microsoft released a patch for a potentially dangerous DNS flaw.

The problem only affected ZoneAlarm customers who had their security settings on "high," according to a Check Point spokeswoman. Those with "medium" or "low" settings did not lose Internet service.

Check Point offered two possible solutions, including temporarily uninstalling the patch or setting firewall setting to "medium." Check Point said it will soon issue a ZoneAlarm update with a permanent solution. The company also posted a more detailed workaround online.

Microsoft released the update, known as KB951748, after Dan Kaminsky of IOActive and Paul Vixie of Internet Systems Consortium notified the Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) of a basic flaw in the DNS standard that could lead to cache poisoning, and allows attackers to redirect Internet requests to wherever they want, including sites that engage in phishing or malware distribution.

"Microsoft continues to investigate the issue and has updated the bulletin," a Microsoft spokesman said. "Affected customers using ZoneAlarm and Check Point Endpoint are encouraged to review the appropriate ZoneAlarm Web site and Check Point Web site, respectively, for the latest guidance or software updates."

Users can also visit the Microsoft Security Response Center blog for additional information, he said.

In addition to Microsoft, the list of Internet system vendors affected by the flaw includes Apple, AT&T, Cisco, D-Link, IBM, and Intel.

This post originally appeared on AppScout.

Editor's Note: This story was updated at 6:30 pm Eastern, Thursday, with comments from Microsoft.

Square Ball

thanks for that J70, hated having to go online with out it. as soon as i went on with zone alarm set to medium it told me to update, this fixed the problem

Norf Tyrone

Go to Start>Run
Type in msconfig
Click ok

Thanks ME. I never knew how to do that....There are about 20 ticked boxes there. How do I know which I need, and which are crap.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone