Belfast Students

Started by Maguire01, June 02, 2008, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsandman

Quote from: full back on March 18, 2009, 02:39:50 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 18, 2009, 02:26:12 PM
Quote from: full back on March 18, 2009, 01:34:51 PM
FFS lads, its Paddy's Day
Cut them a bit of slack..................

Why?

Lets just wait & see how many students are convicted before going on a witch-hunt

Agree with FB, the students may have been there, but as far as i know they wern't the main culprits, at least not the throwing anyway, and it wasnt the students kicking off about 15 wingmirrors in a row down one side of the street later that night.
Too many boys too quick to condone on here without knowing anything about what happened.
I would say very little students were invovled too heavily.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: mrsandman on March 18, 2009, 02:50:27 PM
Quote from: full back on March 18, 2009, 02:39:50 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 18, 2009, 02:26:12 PM
Quote from: full back on March 18, 2009, 01:34:51 PM
FFS lads, its Paddy's Day
Cut them a bit of slack..................

Why?

Lets just wait & see how many students are convicted before going on a witch-hunt

Agree with FB, the students may have been there, but as far as i know they wern't the main culprits, at least not the throwing anyway, and it wasnt the students kicking off about 15 wingmirrors in a row down one side of the street later that night.
Too many boys too quick to condone on here without knowing anything about what happened.
This is a well known student tactic in the holylands though, apparently it is great craic.

fitzroyalty

Was talking to a mate on who lives on Carmel, said that everyone was out on the front porches with their sofas out, drinking obv and singing etc. Everytime the police patrol went past everyone went quiet, then they'd start singing again. For some reason the police brought in the riot squad, was also told the damage caused to the car wasn't until after the police came. The police said prior to yesterday they were going to clamp down on the anti-social element and rightfully so, but I can't help feeling they were a bit ott with the riot gear. A fella threw an empty beer box at a cop and got arrested - just saw his name on bbc ni news for riotous behaviour and assault of police officer  ??? The sooner CCTV is installed the better, can't for the world of me think that an area containing the two most crime-riddled streets in the north hasn't got basic surveillance.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: mrsandman on March 18, 2009, 02:50:27 PMAgree with FB, the students may have been there, but as far as i know they wern't the main culprits, at least not the throwing anyway, and it wasnt the students kicking off about 15 wingmirrors in a row down one side of the street later that night.

Lecale2

Students in court after trouble

Four students have appeared in court over disturbances in the Holyland area of south Belfast on St Patrick's Day.

Accused of riotous behaviour were Alan McCrory, 21, Charlestown Rd, Craigavon, Augustine Francis McAleer, 19, Loughmacrory Pk, Omagh, and Gary Martin Keenan, 20, Carrickbawn Pk, Rostrevor.

Mr McAleer and McCrory along with Enda Ward, 26, Loughmacrory Pk, Omagh, were also charged with assaulting police.

A fifth man is due to appear on Wednesday afternoon.

Each of the accused appeared separately in the dock at Belfast Magistrates Court to hear the charges put to them.

All were released on their own bail of £500 and will appear in court again on 1 April.

BBC NI

Minder

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 18, 2009, 02:57:14 PM
Was talking to a mate on who lives on Carmel, said that everyone was out on the front porches with their sofas out, drinking obv and singing etc. Everytime the police patrol went past everyone went quiet, then they'd start singing again. For some reason the police brought in the riot squad, was also told the damage caused to the car wasn't until after the police came. The police said prior to yesterday they were going to clamp down on the anti-social element and rightfully so, but I can't help feeling they were a bit ott with the riot gear. A fella threw an empty beer box at a cop and got arrested - just saw his name on bbc ni news for riotous behaviour and assault of police officer  ??? The sooner CCTV is installed the better, can't for the world of me think that an area containing the two most crime-riddled streets in the north hasn't got basic surveillance.

So the riot squad were called in because they were singing too loud?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Donagh

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 18, 2009, 02:58:05 PM
Students in court after trouble

Four students have appeared in court over disturbances in the Holyland area of south Belfast on St Patrick's Day.

Accused of riotous behaviour were Alan McCrory, 21, Charlestown Rd, Craigavon, Augustine Francis McAleer, 19, Loughmacrory Pk, Omagh, and Gary Martin Keenan, 20, Carrickbawn Pk, Rostrevor.

Mr McAleer and McCrory along with Enda Ward, 26, Loughmacrory Pk, Omagh, were also charged with assaulting police.

A fifth man is due to appear on Wednesday afternoon.

Each of the accused appeared separately in the dock at Belfast Magistrates Court to hear the charges put to them.

All were released on their own bail of £500 and will appear in court again on 1 April.

BBC NI

I'll bet that was some hangover those boys woke up to    :D :D :D :D

mrsandman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 18, 2009, 02:57:41 PM
Quote from: mrsandman on March 18, 2009, 02:50:27 PMAgree with FB, the students may have been there, but as far as i know they wern't the main culprits, at least not the throwing anyway, and it wasnt the students kicking off about 15 wingmirrors in a row down one side of the street later that night.

Gabriel Hurl you havn't got a clue...
or maybe your a resident in disguise??
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Gabriel_Hurl

I've plenty of a clue - I only lived in the Holylands for 4 years  ::)

but hey - these things are never the student's fault

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Minder on March 18, 2009, 02:59:55 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 18, 2009, 02:57:14 PM

So the riot squad were called in because they were singing too loud?

well they sure as hell weren't rioting  ::)

full back

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 18, 2009, 02:48:01 PM
You wouldn't be a student by any chance would you, FB?  ::)

No, not a student
Imagine Gab being wrong  ::)

Gabriel_Hurl

so who caused all the bother yesterday then if it wasn't the students?

Minder

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 18, 2009, 03:16:00 PM

I would say some would have you believe it was a lethal cocktail of PSNI heavy handedness/brutality & locals and the good ol' Gaa supporting students were having a quiet pint of plain...........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

You must know, sure you lived there for 4 years ::)

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Minder on March 18, 2009, 03:20:36 PM

I would say some would have you believe it was a lethal cocktail of PSNI heavy handedness/brutality & locals and the good 'ol Gaa supporting students were having a quiet pint of plain...........

This has been going on long enough for the cops to know by now how best to deal with it. Landing round in landrovers and riot gear and sealing off streets is not the solution. The police lived up to their word on clamping down and rightfully so, but not in this manner. Students are by no means innocent but it all kicked off once the riot police arrived, by all accounts this made the situation worse, and has unfortunately given the PSNI grounds to justify similar action in the future