DERRY V FERMANAGH Healy Park Sat 21st June Throw in: 6pm

Started by never kickt a ball, June 02, 2008, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Watched it on tape again there and didn't think it was a particularly good match either.  McGuckin has taken a bit of stick on here and had a poor first half, but he was one of the better defenders on show after the break considering Derry's tactics didn't give him much protection.  I think a few changes from that 15 definitely have to be made for the qualifiers so long as we get everyone back.  McCloy is in poor form and should be replaced at FB by McCusker, and McEldowney and McIvor will hopefully drop out for Lockhart and M McGoldrick or maybe even Hinphey although I'm not sure if he's close to being ready to return.  Conway was slightly better that Diver in the middle but both look lost without Doherty alongside them.  Murphy was guilty of some very sloppy passing yesterday and should probably be dropped too for Devlin with Skinner possibly going back to the HF line.

I still think Derry (with everyone back) are capable of negotiating the back door again and reaching the quarters.  Would be very worried if drawn against another Ulster team though.

marty88

"paddy bradley has got that killer instinct a forward wud commit murder for"- Mick O' Dwyer

mylestheslasher

Well done to Fermanagh. Watched the game on TV and for me they out fought, out thought and totally out played Derry. In the same way they did against Monaghan. I tipped them for Ulster from the start this year and I think I will be proven right. It would be great for them to finally win one and I think most of us Cavan folk will be cheering them on in the final.

orangeman

What did you think of Tohill on the Sunday game last night ?

Talk of big heads and egos !!!!!!! Wonder who he was talking about ? Could it have been Paddy Crozier ?

whiskeysteve

Quote from: orangeman on June 23, 2008, 10:19:16 AM

Talk of big heads and egos !!!!!!! Wonder who he was talking about ? Could it have been Paddy Crozier ?

he was referring to the players
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

orangeman

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 23, 2008, 10:58:33 AM

The players wouldn't have egos ? Based on what ? A national league ? Tohill seemed disgusted last night with Derry's performance - might he be manager someday ?

amigo

Quote from: orangeman on June 23, 2008, 11:03:47 AM

The players wouldn't have egos ? Based on what ? A national league ? Tohill seemed disgusted last night with Derry's performance - might he be manager someday ?

Tohill was definitely talking about the players last night when he referred to egos and big heads!!

EC Unique

Talking about the players. He hit the nail on the head and this is not the first time this has effected Derry. They always beat themselves more than the other team does. Armagh a cert for Ulster now. Their experience will carry them through.

orangeman

Quote from: EC Unique on June 23, 2008, 11:07:41 AM

Talking about the players. He hit the nail on the head and this is not the first time this has effected Derry. They always beat themselves more than the other team does. Armagh a cert for Ulster now. Their experience will carry them through.

If Armagh beat Down, I'd agree with that - but Down are still in the competition.

tintin25

whiskeysteve

I would agree with Tohill that a few players seem to have a high opinion of themselves. At the very least saturdays performance showed a streak of complacency in some quarters.

Some of the things Joe Brolly and Paddy Heaney have written about Derry players would not help in keeping the feet on the ground
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

orangeman

screenexile

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 23, 2008, 11:21:29 AM

I would agree with Tohill that a few players seem to have a high opinion of themselves. At the very least saturdays performance showed a streak of complacency in some quarters.

Some of the things Joe Brolly and Paddy Heaney have written about Derry players would not help in keeping the feet on the ground

I agree with that Steve but in fairness to Brolly's article last week it was pretty much spot on! I wouldn't be so hard on Heaney as he was just saying that McCusker is a tank of a man which in fairness he is and was probably our best player the other night. Brolly did go slightly over the top with Diver but one bad game doesn't make him a bad player overnight, alongside Doherty he is still a formidable player!

EC Unique

Quote from: orangeman on June 23, 2008, 11:13:07 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 23, 2008, 11:07:41 AM

If Armagh beat Down, I'd agree with that - but Down are still in the competition.

Im well aware that Down are still in and think that Armagh will have no problems with them either. Down struggled past a Terrible Tyrone team with little or no threat up front. Take a look at Armagh's full foward line. Prob the best in Ireland!! :-\

red hander

Quote from: the green man on June 22, 2008, 06:49:32 PM
Isnt it great that Tyrone people take such a great interset in Fermanagh and Derrys fortunes. Always seem to bombard Derry games' threads. They really are true gaels

There was no shortage of inbreds giving us the benefit of their GAA knowledge on the Down v Tyrone thread ... looking forward to Will Cunting's take on Saturday night's humiliation for the London boys