DERRY V FERMANAGH Healy Park Sat 21st June Throw in: 6pm

Started by never kickt a ball, June 02, 2008, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyb

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 21, 2008, 11:13:04 PM
Quote from: jodyb on June 21, 2008, 11:09:21 PM
But Derry looked like they hadn't their homework done and were completely outplayed.
So are they just not good enough? Or did they actually underestimate Fermanagh as they did with Monaghan last year?  It's funny actually that both Monaghan and now Fermanagh beat Derry in the Ulster semi-final, but by 2 points in each case when the winners dominated the vast majority of the game in both cases.

I think that when they went 1 04 to 0 01 ahead some of that hype might have crept in, I cant believe that they would have underestimated Fermanagh, because after the fermanagh monaghan game, they had to realise that fermanagh were a genuine threat. having said that, they have a history of faltering after every decent win. Monaghan last year, Donegal in '06, Armagh '05 and lots more games I dont care to get into.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 21, 2008, 11:20:31 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Brolly and Tohill on TV tomorrow.  :P

Whereas I'm delighted for Brolly RIGHT NOW!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

jodyb

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 21, 2008, 11:22:16 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 21, 2008, 11:20:31 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Brolly and Tohill on TV tomorrow.  :P

Whereas I'm delighted for Brolly RIGHT NOW!  :D

He is half a Tyrone man after all. Why wouldn ye be delighted for him :D

Uladh

Quote from: THEREALGRASSROOTS on June 21, 2008, 11:02:54 PM
:'( Ten years.  We thought the wait was over after 10 years.  If Conleith Gilligan scores the penalty, it probably is over.  But that's far from pinning the blame on Gilligan.

Twas never a penalty anyway. just one of a litany of uncalled for whistles all evening from yet another poor ref. they're ruining the games. LET THE FUCKIN GAME GO REF!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: jodyb on June 21, 2008, 11:25:38 PM

I disowned that half many moons ago, as did he I believe  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thejuice

Great win for Fermanagh and good to see Barry Owens back and what an impact he had. That was never a penalty and Sherry should never have been put off.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

In the Onion Bag

Well done Fermanagh.

Ref was a joke, shouldn't be allowed charge of anything beyond U16 level.  Confetti yellows.  If this was the Euros Fermanagh would have no team for the final. 

This ref is the best example in support of Tohill's argument that Ulster games need a ref that understands Ulster championship football.
On the bigger picture, the AI game requires inter county refs who perform with a common consistency?

ONeill

Feel foolish for buying into the idea that Derry had developed some kind of backbone overnight. Same old Derry. I know Muldoon is a class act for Ballinderry but yet again I can say I've yet to see him justify his elevated status in a big county game. Lynch, unfortunately, is not going to be the colossus he looked like being as a minor. Some very un-athletic looking players on the in-bred side too. In saying that, they played fairly shite and could still have won so they could get a bit of a run going again.

Well done Fermanagh. O'Rourke is some cookie - imagine winning a buckin Ulster title with the Loup! THE LOUP!!!

Referee - made sure he'd be on the TV. Pure cnut of a ref (is that defamation?), punishing the sinned against repeatedly by stopping attacking play to get some fella's phone number.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

It looked like a fair shoulder charge. But if it was a fair challenge why did the Derry player hit the ground clutching his face with both hands?
Sad to say but the ref got fooled by an out and out cheat

jodyb

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 21, 2008, 11:27:33 PM
Quote from: jodyb on June 21, 2008, 11:25:38 PM

I disowned that half many moons ago, as did he I believe  ;)

I think he still struggles with and is tormented by his inner tyronie :D

johnpower

Anybody who attends league games in the past number of years can see the trend .First Jersey tug yellow card then the ritual book keeping followed by linesmen and umpires feeling lonely calling the refs attention where he will book both players having held up the game .

Fear Meath don't do moaning or indignation

Mourne Rover

Congratulations to Fermanagh, who should have at least doubled their winning margin. They got their tactics right on the night, and won every individual battle on the pitch. Doherty was an enormous loss for Derry, as Paddy Bradley is a wonderful talent but most certainly not a team leader. He spent most of the night waving his hands at his colleagues and the bench rather than going out the field and making something happen.

All the talk has been about the 1982 Fermanagh team, but, in the Brewster Park clubhouse, the picture on the wall is on the side which beat Down in the following year's championship for the only time in living memory. There are an incredible number of Fermanagh supporters who also follow Down (because they hate Cavan to the south and Tyrone to the north) and they would all much prefer to get Armagh in this year's Ulster final.

Finally, in the BBC box, Jarlath Burns said last week and again this week that James passed to Mickey for the winning goal in the 1994 AI final. It was bad enough last week but this week James was sitting beside him and simply smiled to himself. Time to dust down that video, Jarlath.

boro

great fecin win for Fermanagh! as a Wexford man Ive watched your lads play ours a fair few times over the last few years and was cheering ye on tonight. Hopefully the yelllablellies can do the same again laois tomorrow!

groundlie

Well done Fermanagh, hopefully they go on and win it now, but down or armagh will have a big say in that

Yes I Would

The Derry lads are quiet!! What a performance from the Erne men. After 15 mins i was startin to feel a bit sorry for them, as thought we would have a cricket score!!
Derry couldnt live with the running game of Fermanagh players. Derry tried to run it, but as indiviuals not as a team. Never the option ov an overlap for them, or if it was they didnt take it. Onve the pressure was on them they cracked, giving away needless ball time and time again.
Not many will want them in the qualifiers for all that!!